collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 204469 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #600 on: August 12, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
So a bunch of people on a group I post in have been really annoying lately to a hyberbolic degree over Kimetsu no Yaiba as the best thing to ever hit anime ever.

So I decided to watch it (19 eps so far).

It is really beautifully animated. The characters are well thought out. There's a lot of beheading. I'm kind of ok with that. It starts really horribly. That I'm less okay with, but I've moved on, because the main character has.

Bearing in mind I speak Japanese, the characters for me all have annoying, difficult to remember and pointlessly obscure names. But anyhow.
Spoiler

The main character, Tanjirou, lives in a mountain with his family and sells charcoal to help make ends meet. Till all his family are killed by a demon except his sister Nezuko, who is turned into a demon. So he becomes a demon slayer to find out how to turn her back to being human.

By the way,
Spoiler
Personally I hope he never changes her back, because she's easily the best character and when she was a human she was basically a doormat...now she's at least interesting, and forceful, and can kick a guy's head off if her brother's in danger. She's also really funny. She doesn't really speak, so her humour is visual, but it works

There's especially been a big fuss about the most recent episode but while it is really beautifully done, I don't really understand why it's had so much hype about it specifically.

I'm not sure if I will keep watching it when more eps air, as I wouldn't say it jumped out and grabbed me wholeheartedly. Having seen it, it seems like a good competent shounen anime/manga which will probably have a long run and many series. But I don't know that it deserves all the hyperbole that it's the best ever series to be made :/

I guess it's subjective.

Also, some bits reminded me of Bleach.
Spoiler
Like, there are creatures eating humans (demons - Hollows?). They can only be dealt with with a blade (nichirin - zanpakutou?) The bad guy is calm and calculating and pretends like he's not a bad guy in front of everyone (Aizen - Muzan?) and he has a group of followers with numbers on their eyeballs (Espada - ok, that's not eyeballs, but they are all numbered on their body).  Oh yeah, and Tanjirou's dad was also a demon hunter (Isshin was a shinigami?).

It's not enough the same as Bleach to think that there's any connection, it's just that some of these tropes are so familiar in this type of shounen series that you kind of know what you have from the very start point. There's also a lot of that shounen anime/manga style exposition where it's obvious what the attack did but the enemy has to say it explicitly, "So you did this, did you? Ahah, but now I will do this!" and that's quite repetitive.

Has anyone else seen it?

Don't get me wrong, it's well written and well done, but it seems a bit much to call it the best anime ever made...

Also!

Shimano Hiro voices a character called Zenitsu, who also dresses in orange/yellow and has yellow-orange hair. Shimano Hiro is also the voice artist for Zeno in Yona. Zeno is the Yellow Dragon, so, clearly, also has a yellow/gold pallete as well. And although most of the time Zenitsu is squealing like a lunatic/baby, on the odd occasion where he isn't, he also sounds like so much like Zeno. And that is doing my head in.

Though Zeno is miles better ;)

Edit: I need to spell words properly.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:22:47 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: August 13, 2019, 12:02:47 PM »
I really like Zeno's VA although I've only heard him voice Zeno. :D 

I was looking on US Netflix and it looks like several animes have been added. The 2 that looked the most interesting were Forest of Piano and March Comes in Like a Lion.

Has anyone watched those?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 13, 2019, 01:53:30 PM »
I really like Zeno's VA although I've only heard him voice Zeno. :D 

I was looking on US Netflix and it looks like several animes have been added. The 2 that looked the most interesting were Forest of Piano and March Comes in Like a Lion.

Has anyone watched those?

Ponyfan

Zeno is awesome :D

I have seen the first ep of March comes in like a lion. It didn't grab me though so I didn't continue with it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 15, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. I’ll probably give the first episode a chance and see if it holds my interest enough continue watching.

I just saw Amazon.com had listed a limited edition box set of the new Fruits Basket for preorder that includes the first 13 episodes. I hope this means that a general release set will be released also.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 19, 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Does anyone own the Region 1 Yona of the Dawn DVD/Blu Ray sets? Yona quickly became one of my favorite animes/mangas. :lovey: I can watch the anime episodes on Hulu but would like to own a set so I could watch them without Hulu. I looked at my options and I can either buy the episodes from US iTunes or get the Blu Ray/DVD set. The cost would be about equal either way  but I don’t own a Blu Ray player. I found confusing  info on whether the Yona sets are Blu Ray only or include DVDs also.

Ponyfan

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 19, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
Does anyone own the Region 1 Yona of the Dawn DVD/Blu Ray sets? Yona quickly became one of my favorite animes/mangas. :lovey: I can watch the anime episodes on Hulu but would like to own a set so I could watch them without Hulu. I looked at my options and I can either buy the episodes from US iTunes or get the Blu Ray/DVD set. The cost would be about equal either way  but I don’t own a Blu Ray player. I found confusing  info on whether the Yona sets are Blu Ray only or include DVDs also.

Ponyfan

If it's a Blu-ray/DVD set, it should have both the Blu-ray and DVD.  It looks like the Blu-ray/DVD sets come in parts 1 &2.  If it is the complete set on Blu-ray, it will only have the Blu-ray discs.  (Here's a link to the RightStuf page so you can see the difference.)

https://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Blu~ray?keywords=yona%20of%20the%20dawn

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 20, 2019, 11:25:05 AM »

Ponyfan

If it's a Blu-ray/DVD set, it should have both the Blu-ray and DVD.  It looks like the Blu-ray/DVD sets come in parts 1 &2.  If it is the complete set on Blu-ray, it will only have the Blu-ray discs.  (Here's a link to the RightStuf page so you can see the difference.)

Thanks Pokeyonekenoboe. :) Seeing them side by side helps a lot. I think I was getting confused because the 2 season sets come with DVDs but The Complete Series on Blu-ray does not.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »

Ponyfan

Thanks Pokeyonekenoboe. :) Seeing them side by side helps a lot. I think I was getting confused because the 2 season sets come with DVDs but The Complete Series on Blu-ray does not.

Ponyfan

I didn't even know the US had it on DVD! So not fair. I had to get mine from Japan *grrrrrrrr* US would have been cheaper.
>.>
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: August 21, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »

Ponyfan

Ponyfan

I didn't even know the US had it on DVD! So not fair. I had to get mine from Japan *grrrrrrrr* US would have been cheaper.
>.>

I only found out that the US had it on DVD recently. I don't remember seeing it for sale in stores and it looks like it was released a couple of years ago.

I'm starting to rewatch Sailor Moon Crystal.

Ponyfan

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
Has anyone else seen it?

Me. It's the only one on Crunchyroll that has my attention this season, besides Boruto and occasionally gegege no kitaro - but that one has been around a looong time.

I think its very good but I wouldn't say it's the greatest anime ever.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »
Has anyone else seen it?

Me. It's the only one on Crunchyroll that has my attention this season, besides Boruto and occasionally gegege no kitaro - but that one has been around a looong time.

I think its very good but I wouldn't say it's the greatest anime ever.

Yeah, thats how I feel too. SOmeone on the other forum commented that the character development is kind of not there or late when it does happen, and I can see that, like the writer would rather invest in action than character reflection, but that aside, the only issue I really have is nezuko being hypnotised. It's not hugely original but it's watchable and enjoyable and really pretty in terms of animation quality.

His sidekicks are really annoying though. Hope they get less so, since I've basically decided to see it through to the season end at least and they both irritate me.

Nezuko still best character.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #611 on: August 22, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
I forgot to post last week's package in here so now I have two packages to show off in this post as I got another a couple days ago...

Okay, so last week's package! I got these on the 15th.

Spoiler

This first item isn't Di Gi Charat at all, but the cover art is drawn by Koge-Donbo*, the creator of Di Gi Charat. I want this to be just a general Koge-Donbo* collection. :) This book is a charity artbook that contains art by nearly 100 different artists. It came out in 2010 to raise money for farmers that lost livestock that year.

This is a Koge-Donbo* book that I believe mostly consists of her talking about her works. There's some art too, but it's mostly text that I cannot read.

Fairies' Day Off!!, the second Gamers Guardian Fairies single. GGF is a spin-off of Di Gi Charat!

Dejion, the Di Gi Charat Nyo soundtrack!

A Dejiko sticker with really weird artwork.

BGGD ID cards

Di Gi Charat CCG and trading cards, and GGF trading cards

Three copies of a Dejiko Z/X trading card game card. Really only needed one but this listing of three was cheaper than the listings that were only selling one...

Two Pita-Ten trading cards.

This week's package, from two days ago:

Spoiler

Di Gi Charat ceramic tumblers with art of the kittens Sa, Shi, Su, Se, and So on them. Extremely relieved that these arrived entirely in tact with no damage at all.

White Fantasty CD.

Strawberry Magic CD.

A Leave it to Piyoko jewel case.

Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charat notebook.

Sticky notes.

Puchiko coin purse.

Puchiko stamp w/ drawstring bag.

Keychains.

Eraser and another keychain.

Misha (Pita-Ten) trading figure.

Display update! A couple things have been moved around since I took these photos but it's similar enough. I think all I did was switch the Misha figure with the small blue stationary items.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2019, 12:04:19 PM »
Great new items Beatles. :) 

I saw a new anime movie for sale last week called Penguin Highway. It doesn't look very interesting based on the synopsis but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 22, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »

Di Gi Charat ceramic tumblers with art of the kittens Sa, Shi, Su, Se, and So on them. Extremely relieved that these arrived entirely in tact with no damage at all.

Wait, are they teaching hiragana by kitten or something? O.o.

@Ponyfan, not familiar with that one at all :(

Been watching Yakusoku no Neverland this week.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
Great new items Beatles. :) 

I saw a new anime movie for sale last week called Penguin Highway. It doesn't look very interesting based on the synopsis but I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about it?

Ponyfan

I bought that one and watched it.  It's...okay.  Not my favorite but not the worst one I've seen either.  Basically this 4th grade genius has a crush on the lady at his dentist's office that teaches him chess.  Penguins randomly show up so he and a friend are trying to figure out where they came from.  A girl at his school likes him and shows him a secret anomaly that she's studying, which prompts the bully who likes her to pick on the smart kid.  Eventually they find out what is causing the penguins to show up and how they're connected to the anomaly the girl found and the lady at the dentist's office.  It has some funny bits but I would put it closer to a young adult level as opposed to a kid's level due to conversations about boobs and the bullying that happens.  :penguin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal