collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 203496 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #510 on: July 02, 2019, 02:11:26 PM »
Sooo, I blame this thread- but I started to watch anime on Netflix too :lol: I wanted to see Fruit basket, but it’s not on my Netflix. I did start watching «Violet Evergarden» though. It is cute! And beautifully made, with great soundtrack. I actually really like it! But then I am just really a fluffy fluffball when it comes to sweet love stories :heart: Although this is not really all about the love story, more about finding yourself ^.^ I really like the story- and can’t wait for season 2 or the movie :biggrin:

@karentheunicorn: I agree! I have no idea about anime series, and if I would like them or not :/ I would really like recommandations! Some series are just way too stressful for me (yes, Pokemon), but then some are beautiful  ^.^
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #511 on: July 02, 2019, 02:20:34 PM »

@karentheunicorn: I agree! I have no idea about anime series, and if I would like them or not :/ I would really like recommandations! Some series are just way too stressful for me (yes, Pokemon), but then some are beautiful  ^.^

Yea, I'm a sucker for the romance, but I also like romance x adventure.

Not sure if you've watched Sword Art Online? It's on netflix, I've watched the first season and I thought it was awesome, it's both beautiful and pretty emotional. I haven't watched the II yet or I think there are other stuff out there with it but it's not on netflix

I'd say watch 7 seeds as well, I thought it was really good and pretty interesting. But as I said in my other post I'm really hoping there is gonna be more to this story since how it ends right now seemed more like a cliffhanger than an ending so that's why I'm making the assumption there is gonna be more or another season, etc.

Black Butler is a little darker but the first season is on netflix but the manga of BB is way better in terms of there is a lot in the anime that isn't really in the actual story. So some of the stuff in the anime is just 'silly'. But it's eye candy because...Sebastian.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #512 on: July 02, 2019, 02:43:23 PM »
I'm kinda new to anime, not really...I mean I've seen stuff over the years but have never really gotten into watching it until now.

Sadly thanks to Netflix I've managed to sink myself into the dark hole of Anime.

Welcome to the dark side :D

Yea, I'm just not always sure what to watch next when I'm scrolling netflix, however. There are some anime out there that kind of annoy me, like Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z stuff like that. I guess those are things that are soooo popular but trying to watch them is like burning my eyes out. Although I do find Inuyasha pretty enjoyable, although silly sometimes it seems relatively cute. I forget what episode I'm on now, can't remember if I'm through the first season of that yet or not.

Netflix has quite a few things to offer but I don't always know which are gonna be bad.

OH OH I just remembered...duh, I watched a new one that popped up on netfix called 7 seeds. I totally blew through that one over the weekend. That was pretty awesome but i got annoyed with how the last episode ended so I'm making the assumption they're gonna make more...cause I was like...NOOOOO it can't end this way (LOL)

Unfortunately these days a lot of anime don't finish the whole manga. It's why the remake of fruits basket has had so much excitement because the original anime didn't finish the whole story, and this one they've promised to actually do it.

One of my favourites is Akatsuki no Yona/Yona of the Dawn which the animation stops at vol 8 of the manga but the manga is now on vol 29 and I want to see the rest of it animated too :(

I hate Dragonball Z and always did. The thing about anime is though there are so many there's something for everyone, pretty much. And sometimes anime in genres outside my usual interest really grab me, which is fun.

There are very few 'mainstream' anime that I ever really get into. There have been one or two, but a lot of them just go right by me, they don't appeal. It makes discussing anime frustrating sometimes but eh, that's life. 

I watch most anime on Crunchyroll (I have a subscription but there is a free version which has ads and a delay on new episodes coming out) these days although I've watched a few on funimation and on netflix. CR drives me mad sometimes but it does have quite a wide range. They don't have a huge number of  English dubs though, I think Funimation has more of those...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 02, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »

One of my favourites is Akatsuki no Yona/Yona of the Dawn which the animation stops at vol 8 of the manga but the manga is now on vol 29 and I want to see the rest of it animated too :(

Ok, I think in english is like Yona of the Dawn or something like that? I have seen that pop up on my youtube since I sorta now get flooded by clips of different anime now that I've clicked on various anime over the past couple months. I just haven't checked it out yet.

I hate Dragonball Z and always did. The thing about anime is though there are so many there's something for everyone, pretty much. And sometimes anime in genres outside my usual interest really grab me, which is fun.

Yea, dragon ball z...it just makes me wanna hide. There is another one that seems to pop up a lot called onepiece or some thing...and I look at it and think..naaa.

I don't mind out of genres because some anime is like a mix of various different things, like Romance, fantasy, adventure all rolled into one so it's hard to put that in one bag.

There are very few 'mainstream' anime that I ever really get into. There have been one or two, but a lot of them just go right by me, they don't appeal. It makes discussing anime frustrating sometimes but eh, that's life. 

I watch most anime on Crunchyroll (I have a subscription but there is a free version which has ads and a delay on new episodes coming out) these days although I've watched a few on funimation and on netflix. CR drives me mad sometimes but it does have quite a wide range. They don't have a huge number of  English dubs though, I think Funimation has more of those...

I've watched stuff on crunchyroll, I just get aggrivated with the ads, sometimes they do like 4 in a row and I'm like rarrrrrrrr. Sadly I do need the english dub, but I can sort of deal with subtitles but it takes away from 'viewing' the animation cause 75% of the time you're looking at the words.

when did guys with fox ears and tails wearing kimono's suddenly become so fricking cute?

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 02, 2019, 05:12:25 PM »
Tomoe is cute ;D

It annoys me that anime never actually ended.

Ponyfan can probably tell you where Yona is in English dub as she;'s been watching it, if you're interested xd. It's a lot of fun, although dark in places and a bit brutal. Admittedly probably the most brutal scenes are manga only (Ponyfan, you have that to look forward to >.>), but it does start with quite a lot of violence.

I have no time for One Piece. Friends tried to get me into it but every clip I've seen was just stupid and not funny to me, so I guess it's not my thing.

It's very long as well. So you'd need to really commit to it I guess.

I am still amazed at myself becoming so attached to a baseball anime/manga when I never follow the sport or care about it in the slightest. It just goes to show that characters sometimes drive a story beyond interest levels, but it's one of those rare times I'm watching something fairly mainstream.

Unfortunately that means there are way more comments on CR and other places and some of them are just...*head desk*.

But I feel like if a series gets to me enough that I actually buy manga for it - bearing in mind that I buy Japanese manga and so only buy selectively because of cost - then I have to accept I'm actually a fan of it now and come quietly. :)

Saiyuuki is another series I recommend but I dunno if it's maybe an acquired taste. Yona is probably easier to get into quickly :)

But at least in mainstream series you get actual full animation, as opposed to one series without a final conclusion *grr*
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:32:18 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 02, 2019, 06:15:53 PM »
I've seen a couple of manga I might try to jump into, even though this is anime thread to me they're kind of the same thing really (LOL).

Snow White with Red Hair, but I think that's an anime to and then another I saw online, cause once you buy something on amazon they show you more of the same stuff, but the manga was called Takana and Hana.

I bought a couple called the Demon Prince of Momochi House, but it reminds me a lot of Kamasama kiss, I mean down to a couple lines being in the manga that are the exact same. I see on my amazon page the Yona manga popps up. I may next time I go to BAM, I'll probably buy a couple.

Oh yea, and there was another anime I saw bits of but I can't remember the name right now. It's something, Bed and breakfast. It's about some kind of Ogar prince and a girl who's grandfather put her up as as payment for his bill or some such thing. I only saw a bit of an episode on youtube and that looked interesting, but I just noticed on amazon it's...duh a manga.

I see another one pop up called The Ancient Magus' Bride, does anyone know if that one is any good anime or manga?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 02, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »
I'm still holding Taffeta responsible for introducing me to Yona of the Dawn.  ;)  :lol: I watched the entire anime in about a month and am now reading the manga. I will probably have to take a break after volume 8 of the manga until I can buy more volumes as I'm on a really tight budget right now.  Yona really draws you in and before you know it you're a fan.  I watched the English version on Hulu.  Yona is now one of my favorite animes. :)

Ponyfan can probably tell you where Yona is in English dub as she;'s been watching it, if you're interested xd. It's a lot of fun, although dark in places and a bit brutal. Admittedly probably the most brutal scenes are manga only (Ponyfan, you have that to look forward to >.>), but it does start with quite a lot of violence.

There's something that's more brutal in the manga than in the anime?  :shocked:

Other favorites of mine are

Your Name

Ponyo

My Neighbor Totoro

Fruits Basket (I really want to see the new series but don't have Crunchy Roll or Funimation subscriptions.)
 The orignal anime is also on Hulu.

Sailor Moon

Miraculous  (Miraculous Ladybug) I’m not sure if that counts as anime though.

Snow White with Red Hair, but I think that's an anime to and then another I saw online, cause once you buy something on amazon they show you more of the same stuff, but the manga was called Takana and Hana.

I have volumes 1-8 of Takane and Hana but haven't read them yet. I was going to and then started on the Yona manga instead.

I also usually buy the manga if I really love the anime.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:52:29 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 03, 2019, 12:58:27 AM »

There's something that's more brutal in the manga than in the anime?  :shocked:

Yes :D But if I say any more than that I will be spoiling. It's not as bad as it sounds, but it's quite...brutal.

I watched the first few eps of Snow White with the Red Hair but it didn't grab me. I may go back to it later but it seemed like there were too many leaps in the plot that were convenient rather than believable in the early scenes.

Although maybe also after Yona it couldn't compete in my affections, because Yona is so well structured in all those things and well, you know, princess with red hair theme (they're not really alike though).

I haven't read Takane and Hana so can't comment ;)

Your Name is a great film though. Highly recommend that.

Magus Bride is on my to watch list on CR but I haven't got to it yet. Anime and manga is currently my respite from job applying/article writing/figuring out what to do next so I'm sure I'll get to it...it has a good write up I think?

Erased is another one on Netflix (although wait, maybe it's just the drama version, not the anime, but they're both good) over here. I'd strongly recommend that, it's a very well done story. It's also not that long.

And Charlotte (which is on CR and not on Netflix, I'm not sure if it has an English dub).

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:06:41 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 03, 2019, 07:34:40 AM »
I just took a look at the info about Your Name.

hum, this sounds weirdly familiar, well not exactly but the whole separated by 3 years thing. It sounds a tad like the movie The Lake House where the romantic leads are separated by a few years but they have a way of communicating with each other, etc. Mind you I've only seen the movie once and they don't switch bodies but it's got a similar fantasy vibe aspect.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 03, 2019, 09:17:49 AM »
@Katrine - the new Fruits Basket is on Crunchyroll (Japanese with subs) and Funimation (English dub) here in the UK. I wonder if it's the same for you.

While both are subscription services you can watch some stuff without a subscription though you do get to deal with ads a lot more. Also free membership on CR means being a week behind on new episodes, but just in case it's helpful.

The old Furuba is also on Funimation in its complete form I think - at least over here.

Anime is fun because there is literally something for every taste.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 03, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
Attack on Titan finished on the first of July, now I’ve got to wait till 2020 for the last season (At least I can se what colour hair Poco will have so that I ca do his doll). Well I can get Season 3 Part 1 on Blu-ray to do my next fanfic (still working on the others).

Well I’ve got Fruits Basket to fall on now.

Plus I can still do my Attack on Titan dolls, when I finish the ones from Seasons 1, 2, and 3, I’m going to work on Fruits Basket dolls.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 03, 2019, 03:49:47 PM »
I just took a look at the info about Your Name.

hum, this sounds weirdly familiar, well not exactly but the whole separated by 3 years thing. It sounds a tad like the movie The Lake House where the romantic leads are separated by a few years but they have a way of communicating with each other, etc. Mind you I've only seen the movie once and they don't switch bodies but it's got a similar fantasy vibe aspect.

I still recommend Your Name.  :) Even though it has elements that might remind you of other movies I think you'll find it's unique.

And Charlotte (which is on CR and not on Netflix, I'm not sure if it has an English dub).

There's an English dub for Charlotte on Hulu. :) I know Hulu isn't an option for everyone (I think  it's only available for the US) but maybe Crunchy Roll or Funimation will also have the dub.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #522 on: July 03, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
More Di Gi Charat merchandise! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Spoiler

Chocola 2004

Binder containing a selection of DGC Koge-Donbo* artwork, 1999 through 2004

Chocola 2008

Welcome!

Welcome! Di Gi Charat version

Dejiko no Ongakkai (Dejiko's Concert)

Waiting!

Trading cards

Display update:

Got the Chocola books off of the shelf because the hardback ones were so heavy and having all that weight on the shelf was making me nervous. :yikes:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 04, 2019, 01:42:42 AM »
I am currently watching Ranma 1/2 and just finished outlaw star.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:37 AM »
I have binge watched Sword Art Online, and I think I liked it. Not as well as Violet, but I liked it. I really like that Kitori is a crybaby at times- because he goes through some bad stuff. I kind of like him. And the story reminded me of back in the days when I was playing Final Fantasy 8 with my sister ^.^ For any FF 8 players out there: I got this Squall vibe from Kitori, and I adore Squall :heart:

I think my main issue with these stories is their age... I know that is sort of the whole point with YA, but I just feel that their character arcs would fit with being a little bit older. Maybe not so much in SAO (but I mean Sugu does not look like a middle school’er to me), but I definetely felt that way in Violet Evergarden. Violet says she is 14 years old, and I just don’t feel that the story works with that... So in my head I bumped them all up a few years  :lol: Is this the case with anime though? Are they often this young? I would have imagined that there is an audience for older age groups as well  :P

@Taffeta: Thanks for the directions to Fruit Baskets! I’ll check it out!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:20:38 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal