collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 203510 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2019, 01:18:10 AM »
@Ponyfan...

Spoiler
I think there's more elements of it. It's actually a part of his character I like in the manga, and it's interesting that in the original anime when Arisa and Saki come over, he's all "woo, high school girls!" but in this one he's not. I'm not sure it's really explicit at this point, but I think it's hinted at more.

Spoiler
The latest episode also talked about the hat.

My impression is that this one is closer to the manga, just it's been so long since I read the manga - maybe 10 years - that I can only remember broad strokes in places :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:04 AM »
I really wanted to watch Song of the Sea but it’s not on Netflix anymore. I guess I’ll have to wait until it airs on TV or buy the DVD.

@Taffeta

Spoiler
I get the impression from the manga that Shigure is trying to play both sides. Making sure he stays on Akito’s side(telling him when the others are doing things Akito will disapproves of)while secretly hoping Tohru will  break the curse.

I love that the hat is being mentioned in the new anime. Have there been any flashbacks to Kyo’s guilt over Kyoko’s death?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 13, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
I really wanted to watch Song of the Sea but it’s not on Netflix anymore. I guess I’ll have to wait until it airs on TV or buy the DVD.

@Taffeta

Spoiler
I get the impression from the manga that Shigure is trying to play both sides. Making sure he stays on Akito’s side(telling him when the others are doing things Akito will disapproves of)while secretly hoping Tohru will  break the curse.

I love that the hat is being mentioned in the new anime. Have there been any flashbacks to Kyo’s guilt over Kyoko’s death?

Ponyfan

There's something in your post I really want to poke but I won't as I don't think you've read all the manga yet?. :)

Spoiler
Re the hat = no...
Spoiler
it's just a scene when Saki and Arisa are staying over with Tooru at the Souma house and one of them picks up the hat and asks about it...and Tooru recounts the story of being lost and following the boy home. Kyou overhears all of this but there's no follow up from it or real reaction from him at that point. That's as far as it's been taken so far.

In the most recent episode Shigure
Spoiler
does say something along the lines of you probably hope it fails but I intend to be optimistic...can't remember exactly the wording as I watched it when tired and haven't had a chance to go back to it...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:11:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 23, 2019, 12:05:10 AM »
I was suprisingly happy with the Furuba Hatori episode since I usually skip that in the original anime (too sad) :/. Still sad but somehow light enough in places to work. I am not persuaded yet by his voice in the Japanese though. And the subtitlers keep spelling Hari as Harry and that makes me want to prod them hard.

I need to stop watching Ace of the Diamond, but its strangely addictive. I don't even know anything about baseball. Miyuki Kazuya, it's all your fault *shakes fist*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 23, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »
I'm hoping that I can catch up on several animes soon. :)  I may have to try to find the new Fruits Baskets anime on Youtube again.  That's kind of funny about the subtiles getting Hatori's name wrong  :lol: but also annoying since they should be able to translate correctly. That reminds me of a famous errror in the Sailor Moon manga where "reborn" in Japanese was misstranslated in English as "ribbon" and the mistake was only recently corrected in the new Eternal edition. 

The Hatori episode in the orignal anime made me realize what Hatori put himself through for Kana's sake. I think he mentioned that he was afraid that seeing him again would cause Kana's memories to resurface and cause her unhappiness and yet he lives with the memories of her love for him. 

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:10 AM »
That reminds me of a few bleach translation bloopers (mostly from manga actually) where words like shinseki (relative) were used instead of shinyuu (best friend), creating a whole different kind of character relationship than the one the writer intended for Yoruichi and Kisuke. Which became more disturbing considering there's a pseudo-hint of romantic involvement between those two by the end of the manga. Hint, anyway.

I guess it's easier to anglicise, but Hari is Hari, not Harry. Meh.

I feel like this Furuba anime doesn't play up some of the things that the original did. Somehow I like it better that way, as it seems to be responding more to the plot itself. But I do wish they had left out Momiji speaking in German. Not least because whoever is subbing this is subbing the German words as they are, not translating them. I speak Japanese, I don't need the English subs. I don't speak German, so while I can guess at most of it from four years of GCSE German more than 20 years ago, it would be helpful for subtitlers to do their actual job which is translate the dialogue, not just write it as is on screen...?

(And I suspect if it's like when anime does English, it;s a lottery as to whether the seiyuu can handle the pronunciation...)

@Ponyfan, good luck finding more Furuba eps :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2019, 06:36:41 AM »
So far I have kept up with fruits basket but its still not very intersting to me.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
@Taffeta I'm debating whether to get a subscription to Funimation to watch the new Fruits Basket but I'm not sure how many other series I would use it for.

I really want to see the new episodes. I did find a clip of the English dub where Tohru meets Momiji and the German words aren't translated either.

I'm interested to see how the relationships are portrayed between the characters.

So far I have kept up with fruits basket but its still not very intersting to me.

I feel the same way about Pre Cure/Glitter Force. I just can't stay interested in it.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »
@Taffeta I'm debating whether to get a subscription to Funimation to watch the new Fruits Basket but I'm not sure how many other series I would use it for.

I really want to see the new episodes. I did find a clip of the English dub where Tohru meets Momiji and the German words aren't translated either.

I'm interested to see how the relationships are portrayed between the characters.

I feel the same way about Pre Cure/Glitter Force. I just can't stay interested in it.

Ponyfan

It';s fine that way, it's why there are so many genres of anime :D I am also not for the mahou-kei type of anime (the art for Precure puts me off, though). Although I've realised over time that I am less fussy about genre and more about character development.

For me Furuba is really nostalgic. It was one of my first anime series years back before I even learned Japanese, one of the few anime I ever saw in English - I have the manga in three languages because at the time I was better at French than Japanese and they had volumes ahead of the English translation when I was in Belgium.

The thing is though there's no adventure or that kind of thing. It's a gentle anime with some quite dark undertones. And although there is magic, it's woven into a human story, rather than the other way around. It's not for everyone :)

@Ponyfan - I have this problem with Funimation because of their predominance of English language stuff. But there are three or four series that are ONLY on Funimation (with Japanese) that means I can't just cancel the sub ><. They used to be on CR but now are not. Sigh.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 28, 2019, 02:29:16 PM »
I've been meaning to check out the original Futari wa Pretty Cure series for years now, but as for the later series.. there's so many of them!! :drunk: It's overwhelming. Especially since after a certain point they seem rather... paint-by-numbers? which is a shame since they got rid of what interested me about the original series (only two girls in the team instead of the usual 4-5, character designs stuck out from the standard "pink/red main character" sort of thing.. etc). I'm sure I'll check out at least one of them eventually, though.. after I work through the numerous other magical girl shows I've been meaning to watch for years.. :p I still need to get back to Sugar Sugar Rune, that reminds me.

Which one is Glitter Force? IIRC only the original series and one of the later ones got dubbed, right?

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 28, 2019, 03:13:24 PM »

Which one is Glitter Force? IIRC only the original series and one of the later ones got dubbed, right?

I think Glitter Force is Smile Precure.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 02, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
Randomly browsing round youtube and found this, which reminded me that even if it's only eight volumes of the manga, it's still a great anime.

Dragons are weaker than insects ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8NzsYHgSxA
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 02, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »
Randomly browsing round youtube and found this, which reminded me that even if it's only eight volumes of the manga, it's still a great anime.

That was great and so funny :lol: I am thinking I might give Yona a try (both anime and manga)

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 02, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

That was great and so funny :lol: I am thinking I might give Yona a try (both anime and manga)

Ponyfan

It is quite an intense storyline but it's also full of humour. I just wish they'd animate the next volumes as the anime ends at a point where you don't really get a chance to see the best of certain characters.

Poor Kija xD. He really hates bugs ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 03, 2019, 06:42:41 AM »

I think Glitter Force is Smile Precure.

Ponyfan

Glitter force : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_PreCure!

There's also glitter force doki doki on netflix. : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DokiDoki!_PreCure

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal