collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 203512 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
dunno if there's any other fans here.. but Ojamajo Doremi is coming back!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-03-23/toei-ojamajo-doremi-magical-girl-anime-gets-comedy-net-anime-shorts/.144912
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-03-23/toei-confirms-ojamajo-doremi-team-majo-minarai-o-sagashite-magical-girl-anime-film/.144911

I'm so excited!! Doremi's my favourite anime (as you can probably tell from my avatar :silly:) and I never expected anything like this... it's been so long since the light novels came out that I didn't think they had any plans to revive it... plus it looks like they've managed to get at least the main girls' VAs back so that's fantastic! It's soooo good to hear them again :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
Erased sounds interesting. :) Someone a couple of months ago was asking about Mirai? I noticed that it's out on DVD/Blu Ray now.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
Erased sounds interesting. :) Someone a couple of months ago was asking about Mirai? I noticed that it's out on DVD/Blu Ray now.

Ponyfan

Erased is really very clever and it does make you think about stuff. But I really like that so much of it is set in Hokkaido. It's very sweet and yet it covers some serious stuff. Also, it's short (12 eps) so easy to watch without feeling bogged down.

I really need to find the manga for this because I want to know if the anime or the drama fits closest to the real story. They both reach the same conclusion in a sense but in a different way...there are things I like about how they tie together both but they're not quite the same so I would really like to know which is more in the writer's way of thinking.

Still going to make a push for Charlotte as well as another recommend because it is really quite clever and though he's a complete jerk in the first episode, the main character really does grow on you.

I need to look into Mirai. I have heard it mentioned but don't know much about it.

Looking forward to Furuba ep 2...I hate the wait!

@Carrehz - not familiar with that series but it's always awesome when something that has been dormant for ages reemerges. I felt like that with the 2017 Reload Blast for Saiyuuki and with Furuba now. It gives me hope that one day there might be a season 2 of Yona and maybe some other half-finished series...

On the subject of Furuba, I did notice that the episode titles say season 1, which suggests there may be a split in the middle rather than a continuous airing. I hope not but it's possible :/

Also I really like the closing theme of Furuba, will have to track that down - although
Spoiler
I am still a bit concerned about how it presents the guys vis a vis Tohru, because the original anime definitely left things in a confusing place and I feel like the ending theme images don't do a lot to dispel that...

Oh yeah, and still missing Rin, I think o.O. Although I guess (hope) she'll be in the 2nd season titles, it's still kind of wrong for her not to be there. I realise the first half of the series will retread the ground covered by the original anime a fair bit, but she's still part of the zodiac -.-
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2019, 03:31:11 PM »
I found Erased and Charlotte on Hulu and added them to my watchlist.  I'm also interested in Mirai. :)  I'm really excited to see the new Fruits Basket anime but I don't think it's on Hulu yet. 

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
I found Erased and Charlotte on Hulu and added them to my watchlist.  I'm also interested in Mirai. :)  I'm really excited to see the new Fruits Basket anime but I don't think it's on Hulu yet. 

Ponyfan

Will really be interested to hear what you think of them :O)
I haven't found anything streaming Mirai at present.
Hopping streaming services looking for anime can be a pain, even with search tools. They also have a bad habit of removing shows in the middle of my watching them...

I am certain you are going to love Furuba <3 Hope it is on your Hulu service soon!!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 12, 2019, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. :) I think Hulu might be waiting for the first few episodes of Fruits Basket to air before they add it to their anime collection.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 12, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. :) I think Hulu might be waiting for the first few episodes of Fruits Basket to air before they add it to their anime collection.

Ponyfan

It's a good plan. I really hate the wait.
Just watched ep 2 and realised...a whole week till 3 *cries*.
Spoiler
And this only for the Japanese dub version but last ep Yuki didn't sound like Haruka. This week...he did. But I guess it's okay. :) I am surprised how easily I've adjusted to the new voices. I guess that means they're doing a good job.

Also Kyou jumping from the classroom window and landing cat-style is still one of my favourite moments :)

Also just finished watching Angels of Death. It's messed up as heck but whatever.
Spoiler
Hard to not get attached to Zack despite the fact he's a serial killer who kills because he wants to...

About ready to enter research revision mode now :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 13, 2019, 03:24:07 PM »
I'm hearing conflicting information on whether or not Hulu will get the streaming rights to the new Fruits Basket or not. I hope they will eventually but I think Funimation's streaming site has first rights to the episodes. I imagine that it will turn out much like Sailor Moon Crystal's series. I think Crystal had to air a full season in Japan before the English dub could be released in the US.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 13, 2019, 03:26:11 PM »
I'm hearing conflicting information on whether or not Hulu will get the streaming rights to the new Fruits Basket or not. I hope they will eventually but I think Funimation's streaming site has first rights to the episodes. I imagine that it will turn out much like Sailor Moon Crystal's series. I think Crystal had to air a full season in Japan before the English dub could be released in the US.

Ponyfan

Funimation certainly has the English dub of Fruits Basket streaming on the same time as Crunchyroll has the Japanese one. I dunno if that is the same as in the US though...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 13, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
I just watched episode 1 of the new Fruits Basket :)

Spoiler
I think it will be a great series and I love how they showed the flashback of young Tohru with Yuki's hat. A couple of things I noticed in the English dub were that Yuki's voice sounded a little too deep for him to be a high school boy (That might be because I'm used to the original anime voice actor though) and they pronounced Shiguire as "She-gray" Is that the correct pronunciation?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 14, 2019, 04:22:54 AM »
Yay :D

Spoiler
I'm 99% sure it's not technically Yuki's hat.
Although I grant that there's a connection with Yuki and the hat xD.
I really hope this anime will cling to the detail of the manga, though. The appearance of the hat makes me think that it might do...I don't remember the hat ever being in the original anime.

On the subject of Shigure - Shi-gu-reh is correct, with every syllable the same rough length. In the original English dub I think it was Shi-GUUR-ay...?

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Shigure

If you click the little button next to Japanese pronunciation it should give you an idea :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 14, 2019, 02:01:02 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. :) I was pretty sure “She-Gray”  wasn’t correct.  With all of the advances of pronouncing Japanese names more accurately in English dubs I was hoping for more correct pronunciations but the sound wasn’t very good on the platform I was watching so it’s possible I misheard Shigure’s name. I didn’t realize Shi-GURR-ay was incorrect also.

I’m halfway through the original manga. While I was waiting for volume 7 for come back in stock 8 and 9 sold out. :sad:

Spoiler

I’m just past where Tohru found out that Akito wants to lock Kyo away in after he graduates.

About the anime

Spoiler
The hat isn’t in the original anime or Kyo’s guilt over Kyoko’s  death. I’m also hoping that the new anime will bring in more details from the manga like when Yuki realizes that Rin was actually standing guard trying to protect Hatsuharu from being discovered when he secretly visited Yuki.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure you're reading the manga in kind of omnibus form, right? Because I have 23 volumes for Furuba manga (admittedly across 3 languages, don't ask) but it sounds like you're much further in...?

I dunno if English dub pronunciations have improved as I haven't watched any in a long time, but the odd times I hear clips still make me cringe a bit xD.

I guess She-grey is a kind of attempt at Shi-gu-reh...?

I wonder what will happen with Hatori (similarly ha-to-rih rather than ha-TOOR-i) if this is setting the benchmark...

It reminds me of the official subtitles of Haruka making Ikutidaru and Sefuru Icktidarl and Sefle respectively. Fortunately no dub exists of that...xD

Spoiler
I think the appearance of that had gives a good indication of possibility for more small details. Fingers crossed.

Akito was in episode 2. I attended how that was handled with interest...

The one thing that does twitch me a bit about the new series is that (at least in the Japanese), there are times when Yuki and Shigure speak over each other, rather than fitting the aside into a pause as the original series did. I seem to remember Yuki asking Shigure if he'd done laughing as a more clear aside in the original anime...and there was another one I noticed either in the first or the second ep as well, where the aside is at the same time as the main line instead of in a pause...

It;s harder to hear two lines in Japanese at once, rather than one :P

...I will just be happy to actually see Rin. I mean, at all. :) Also Machi. Particularly Machi.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 15, 2019, 07:24:38 PM »
I checked Wikipedia and I've read through Chapter 71 of the manga so maybe a little more than half?

Spoiler
I think it must be an intentional choice by the new anime directors as I've noticed it happening in the English version as well. Once in the same place that you mention and then when Yuki and Tohru were walking after school and Yuki kept talking about hating the cat and Tohru asking him if hated cats. Yuki in the English version seems talk very quietly all the time. I'm hoping that is just due to the bad sound quality on the video I watched.

I was really happy the new version included that scene where Yuki says he won't be alone and his eyes glow and you see all of the rats behind him with glowing eyes.

Ponyfan

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #404 on: April 15, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Just peeking in here to recommend Mo Dao Zu Shi/Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation (it's technically a donghua, not anime, since it's Chinese). It's based on a wuxia danmei (basically, a fantasy martial arts + BL) novel and it's so freaking good. It's getting a second season this summer and I cannot wait! Although it departs heavily from the novel (a large part of this is due to the Chinese censorship laws; since it's based on a danmei (BL) novel, the more intimate/longing scenes between the two main male protagonists are heavily censored), it stays true to the original feel of the novel.

Basic Summary: In an alternate historical China where its residents 'cultivate' in order to seek the highest forms of martial arts, there are five main cultivation sects; Gusu Lan, Yunmeng Jiang, Lanling Jin, Qinghe Nie, and Qishan Wen. The main character, Wei WuXian, is a member of the Yunmeng Jiang sect, and is the adopted son of the sect's leader. Along with his adoptive brother Jiang Cheng, WuXian is sent to train at the Gusu Lan sect's Cloud Recesses. There he meets Lan WangJi, the strict rule child of the Lan sect, who's in charge of punishing unruly students. WuXian accidentally gets on his bad side when he sneaks in past curfew with alcohol and then attempts to duel WangJi, therefore breaking three of the Lan sect's three-thousand rules in one go. This is the start of a beautiful...er, frienemyship.

---

So, a few notes. Wei WuXian, despite being the protagonist, ends up becoming 'the bad guy' or just... more of an antihero. His heart's in the right place but he doesn't go about things the right way. I don't want to spoil too much but basically, some terrible things happen, and he embraces the 'demonic' path, which is seen as a twisted, disgusting path by most of the cultivation world. As a demonic cultivator, he can raise the dead and control them to do his bidding with a flute. These dark powers inevitably backfire and cause his own death. The donghua actually begins after Wei WuXian is revived via a blood ritual, and his past, which is the huge chunk of the first season, is only seen through a massive flashback. In the novel it actually switches back and forth a lot more, but the first, second, and last episodes of the donghua are the only ones that deal with the present time. The rest is a reflection on Wei WuXian's past life. Season 2 will focus on the present, where strange supernatural encounters lead to WuXian and WangJi traveling together to investigate and discover the cause of these peculiar occurrences.

I cannot recommend this series enough. The donghua is absolutely gorgeous, with smooth, crisp-looking animation, beautiful scenery, and amazingly talented voice actors who really help to bring the characters to life. I have never found myself caring about characters as much as I care about these characters. The world is so rich and vibrant, and the longing between the two mains, Wei WuXian and Lan WangJi, is so poignant that it's almost tangible at times. I highly suggest that if you decide to check out the donghua, that you also read the novel and the manhua, as the storytelling is top notch, and possibly check out the drama CDs, as they have a ton of fun extras. The English translation of the novel can be found at Exiled Rebels Scanlations. Be warned though, the novel is 18+ and deals with mature themes.

(Okay, babbling over. Sorry! I just...really really love this series ahhh)

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal