collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 203473 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #345 on: February 20, 2019, 05:42:19 AM »
Onto Yuugi. Yuugi actually inspired me to properly sit down and learn Japanese for the stupid reason I wanted to read the novels and it was either Japanese or German, so I might as well learn the Japanese. It's a silly reason to learn a language but it has hugely changed my life so I won't complain. I find the characters interesting but the narrative is a bit brutal at times! I think I'm mostly just character driven in the shows and stories that attract me. I don't need them to be demons or whatever, or even to be handsome. I just need them to have a great character dynamic.

Shinto shrines are awesome. :D I had to visit a bunch during my fieldwork visit because of their connections to various individuals in my research. :D

I am so jealous that you can speak Japanese. I suck at learning languages. They have been trying to teach me Chinese for almost 2 years now but...It's just not working. Althoug my issue with Chinese is the damn tones. I KNOW the words but I never say them correctly and nobody ever understands me here.  :pout:
Tried Japanese in coolege but the professor kinda sucked. Instead of HIM teaching he had the 2nd semester students try and teach us and that didn;t work for me. >.< Plus we had to learn Hiragana in about a week. There was another class that used romanji or whatever its called (like the japanese version of pin yin) instead of learning the characters. I probably should of taken that class instead.

If I could find a way to make a living studying Japanese mythology, I would. Or if I could fins a way to live in Japan, that would be even better but the work contracts are better in China so here I shall stay for now. (I don't really want to work for Nova or Gaba or any English cram school in Japan. Their contracts are crap compared to mine. You get paid more but I do not want to work 40 Hrs a week in a bussiness suit to teach english to kids).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #346 on: February 20, 2019, 05:52:36 AM »
The complexity of Japanese mythology is indeed awesome. Although I study warriors, their stories intersect with stories of shinto and Buddhist ideology, and old stories of China, and so on, so it's really quite broad.

I have a similar problem with Chinese. I can read a lot of the characters already, or approximate them, and the grammar is less difficult than Japanese, but I cannot master tones. As for Japanese, I think learning without characters (in romaji) actually makes it harder in the long run. Especially since some folk romanise in a lazy way, so you get two words that in Japanese writing are different (like yuuki, courage, and yuki, snow) both romanised as 'yuki'. There are also a lot of homonyms, so without the character, you need to know which kami you're talking about - god, paper or hair ;) Or possibly the upper region of a place/upper shrine.

Going back on topic, though, I think one of the reasons anime is such a rich source of stories and is so attractive is that they have such a varied set of their own stories to weave into it. And also, some of China's, as Saiyuuki and in a sense, Yuugi both demonstrate. Yuugi is all fiction but the four gods are part of a bigger spiritual ideology. Haruka, another series/franchise I am very fond of, also uses them extensively, as well as onmyoudou (yin yang) stuff and shinto ideology.

Saiyuuki spoofs up the Journey to the West and makes many of the characters polar opposites...but it still comes from something deeper.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 20, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
I've been watching a bunch of drama lately (we don't have a thread for that, funny enough). I'm looking forward to the furuba anime although watching it ep by ep will be annoying xD I like to watch anime series at my own pace so it might be I wait till it's done airing before I watch. In any case I agree, Ponyfan. It seems to have respected the original while promising to do the whole story this time.

I always feel that where the old anime ends gives the wrong impression about
Spoiler
Yuki's relationship with/interest in Tooru
and so it will be nice to see that fixed. That, and the other rather major...issue with the original anime as regards
Spoiler
Akito

I just finished the original Friuts Basket anime but although I liked the ending it seemed like

Spoiler
Yuki was dissapointed that Torhu “chose” Kyo instead of him and that Akito made so many rules and was so cruel because he thought no one cared about him and wanted him to die? 

Maybe it’s because I’m not very far in to the manga yet?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
I've been watching a bunch of drama lately (we don't have a thread for that, funny enough). I'm looking forward to the furuba anime although watching it ep by ep will be annoying xD I like to watch anime series at my own pace so it might be I wait till it's done airing before I watch. In any case I agree, Ponyfan. It seems to have respected the original while promising to do the whole story this time.

I always feel that where the old anime ends gives the wrong impression about
Spoiler
Yuki's relationship with/interest in Tooru
and so it will be nice to see that fixed. That, and the other rather major...issue with the original anime as regards
Spoiler
Akito

I just finished the original Friuts Basket anime but although I liked the ending it seemed like

Spoiler
Yuki was dissapointed that Torhu “chose” Kyo instead of him and that Akito made so many rules and was so cruel because he thought no one cared about him and wanted him to die? 

Maybe it’s because I’m not very far in to the manga yet?

Ponyfan

:lol:  That's what happens when they finish an anime way before the manga is done.  There are a lot of things in the manga that don't show up in the old anime.  I'd suggest reading the manga (or waiting for the new anime to be finished-assuming they follow the manga closer) to get some new insights into the story.  Admittedly, I haven't finished the manga myself yet--I'm working on it--but I have plenty of friends who have and they've told me some spoilers as we were discussing the odd ending of the anime.

Post Merge: February 20, 2019, 08:14:15 PM

In watching Sailor Moon, it bothers me that Sailor Venus' character changes so much.  At the end of the first season when she shows up, she's already a superhero in her own right as Sailor V--she even has an episode where she tells about her past working with the British police.  But by the middle of Sailor Moon R (season 2) she's even more ditzy and clutzy than Usagi.  What's up with that?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:14:15 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2019, 12:33:12 AM »
@Ponyfan - yeah, it does give that impression. And because it's not the whole story, it's the wrong impression :/ Which is why so many people have waited so long for a proper full version of the manga in anime form (which is what they are hopefully doing).

Spoiler
Yuki and Tooru are never really a pairing, but the anime suggests that there's been a choice.

When I read Furuba I couldn't speak Japanese and they were still translating volumes into English so some of my volumes are in French and yeah. I am looking forward to seeing the whole thing in Japanese for the first time xD.

Rewatching Saiyuuki Gensoumaden <3. The subtle character details make it for me.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »
Thanks Pokeyonekenobie and Taffeta. I was starting to think that I missed something or didn't understand the ending of the anime.   

Spoiler
The resolution with Akito feels off to me too.

I'm only on volume 3 of the ommibus manga of Fruits Basket but am planning on reading the whole series eventually. :) I have noticed a few things that weren't in included in the amine already like Yuki's hat that Tohru kept and Kyo's guilt.

@ Pokeyonekenobie My impression of Venus is that she's better at being a superhero than the others since she was the first Senshi to be reawakned (and the true leader of the Sailor Senshi according to the manga) but that she has trouble not going overboard when she's trying to help her friends and that contributes to her being clusmy and a little clueless sometimes. I haven't read the Sailor V manga yet but I think Sailor Venus didn't have many friends except Artemis before she met Sailor Moon and the other Senshi.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks Pokeyonekenobie and Taffeta. I was starting to think that I missed something or didn't understand the ending of the anime.   

Spoiler
Spoiler
There is a lot wrong with Akito in the anime, period. Let's just leave it at that for now :)

I remember I watched the anime ending a couple of times before I really got to grips with it. And it was an anime I watched first before I spoke Japanese, so the first couple of times I saw it in English. I can't remember now what the dub is like (its not horrendous like the one for Fushigi Yuugi xD) but I am not sure if anything is missing in translation. I rewatched the original anime not long past and I dunno if it'ds because I know the ending now or because the Japanese is more clear...yeah. Not sure but looking forward to the remake, even with a new cast, to close those gaps. I mean, there are characters that didn't even make it into the anime, and that needs resolving.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2019, 09:44:55 AM »

Spoiler
Spoiler
There is a lot wrong with Akito in the anime, period. Let's just leave it at that for now :)

I remember I watched the anime ending a couple of times before I really got to grips with it. And it was an anime I watched first before I spoke Japanese, so the first couple of times I saw it in English. I can't remember now what the dub is like (its not horrendous like the one for Fushigi Yuugi xD) but I am not sure if anything is missing in translation. I rewatched the original anime not long past and I dunno if it'ds because I know the ending now or because the Japanese is more clear...yeah. Not sure but looking forward to the remake, even with a new cast, to close those gaps. I mean, there are characters that didn't even make it into the anime, and that needs resolving.

Sometimes I'll watch the English dub with the subtitles on to see what they would have translated from the Japanese to really be.  Some animes it's not much different but others give a whole new view to the story.  I don't know if the translators do that because that's what fits the mouth movements or if they think American audiences won't understand/can't handle the actual storyline/references.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:45 AM »
I think it depends. I know sometimes they change all the cultural references and use different terms that they think the audience will understand better. But there are also plenty of cases where the subs are also approximated and don't entirely reflect the dialogue. Japanese and English are such different languages sometimes I guess the mouth movement thing is a problem. It makes some dubs sound very unnatural as well, because they're having to try and match the Japanese speaking rhythm.

I used to do the same thing with Tenchi dub and the subs and I'd see a lot of difference. I haven't watched Tenchi properly since my Japanese became good enough not to use subs. One day I should go back and see how much the subs match the Japanese xD.

Fansubs are also notorious at missing odd details or mishearing something and then rendering a whole conversation weirdly because of it :/ I don't envy the people who do that. It's easy for me to sit and point out the mistakes, but the pressure subbers are under to release eps quickly I think often leads to some of these not getting caught.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
I have the latest batch of DVD releases of the new dub for Sailor Moon, but I haven't watched them yet. I prefer the new(original) naming and the original intent to the storyline as I was always a manga fan, but the music just doesn't work for me and I just can't get into the scenes as much. I fear crystal may be much of the same vibe, and so I haven't bought those yet. I do have a full set of the manga though, the one with the boxes with the beautiful manga art.

Has anyone seen the new Broly movie? I've been holding off until I actually get around to catching up on DBS, I've only seen season one so far, the whole tournament of power concept is a bit boring to me. Although I'm definitely reconsidering spoilering with the movie, with Vic being fired from Funi, we might not see much of his work for a while, and dammit, he's a great VA! I'm totally annoyed about him losing RWBY too though, Crow will NOT be the same with a different VA, and I'm not going to watch it anymore. I really can't stand it when they switch actors mid-series, regardless of how good the direction is, the character always comes across as wrong. It's an original series, just kill him off and then fire him. Same result, and it doesn't completely ruin the show for fans.

I'm really excited to see the castings for the new fruits basket, with most of the english cast returning. I think Momo's VA might be the only new face so far?

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2019, 09:29:31 AM »
I started watching the 90's Sailor Moon before Crystal so I watched 90's Season 1 and then Crystal Season 1 and I think I watched Season 2 of both basically at the same time.  :lol: I enjoy both versions of Sailor Moon although I think the 90's version shows more of the girls bonding than Crystal. Some of the scenes in Crystal look almost the same as they do in the manga but Crystal does add a few things that are not in the manga. 

Here are a couple of background music pieces from Sailor Moon Crystal

Legend of the Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8-zsZ63usg

Theme of Sailor Mercury
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TcEopaYqw

Has anyone heard anything about the Sailor Moon Crystal Dream arc movie? I guess production was delayed since I haven't been able to find any clips from it even in Japanese.

I'm also looking foward to the new Fruits Basket anime. :) Seeing the anime first and then reading the manga has been interesting as I can see where the anime follws the manga and where it doesn't. I also know why to put a seahorse rat or cat in the chatbox they're named hatori :hatori: yuki :yuki: and kyo :kyo:  :biggrin:

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2019, 09:37:15 AM »

I'm also looking foward to the new Fruits Basket anime. :) Seeing the anime first and then reading the manga has been interesting as I can see where the anime follws the manga and where it doesn't. I also know why to put a seahorse rat or cat in the chatbox they're named hatori :hatori: yuki :yuki: and kyo :kyo:  :biggrin:

Ponyfan

Yeah. One of the Arena's weird secrets, that ;) Though I guess it points to how old this site (including its predecessor) is ;)
Is it just Yuki, Kyou and Hatori in the shoutbox? None of the others?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
There's also Ayame  :ayame:   Hatsuharu  :hatsuharu:  Kagura :kagura:   Kisa :kisa: Momiji :momiji: and Shigure :shigure:    :)

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 09, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »
I saw Liz and the Blue Bird today at the store. It looks really good. Has anyone seen that one?

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 11, 2019, 05:40:40 PM »
I picked up Liz and the Blue Bird today and also Lu Over the Wall. :)

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal