collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202578 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
I had some issues with a couple of my DVDs recently, but I haven't figured out whether it is my DVD player or the discs in question :/ Nothing lasts forever, though. I can no longer play my discs of Angelique Etoile because of them wearing out :/

Angelique Etoile is a nostalgic anime for me as it was the first anime I ever watched without subs (it wasn't subbed at the time) and so it was a landmark showing me I could watch anime without subs and understand it. And each time I watched it since I'd pick up more till I could get even the nuances. Sometimes I want to rewatch it and it's sad that I can't, but it's hard to find it :/ I didn't even see it in BookOff when I was in Japan, even though I managed to finish my Haruka DVD collection from that trip through BookOff stores (including the plush of Suefumi from the movie release!)

On the other subject, I wasn't aware of anything like that but I don't watch dubs, and never will again. Fushigi Yuugi in English killed any interest I will ever have in watching a dub ever again. It's horrible. I still love Yuugi, it's a classic, but NOT in English.

I rewatched (as much as my DVD player allowed) the first half of Uraboku this week. I really like the character interaction in this, I am less sure about the overall plot at times...but I always find I get through the Shusei and Hotsuma section and then lose interest. I have most of the manga for it as well but also never got past Hotsuma's section. Oh well...

Am now rewatching DN Angel which I haven't watched in probably ten years. I'm really digging through my collection at the moment...and seeing how much my taste has changed.

Though rewatching Saiyuuki is high up on my to do list. Because it's awesome.

I'm not familiar with Lu over the wall.

I have watched Sailor Moon but not for a long time and only in Japanese. It was fine but I never totally understood all the hype around it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 16, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
On the other subject, I wasn't aware of anything like that but I don't watch dubs, and never will again. Fushigi Yuugi in English killed any interest I will ever have in watching a dub ever again. It's horrible. I still love Yuugi, it's a classic, but NOT in English.

Oh man. I remember in highschool my friend was all like "This anime is so great" in regards to FY, but I couldn't get into it because the dub was like nails on a chalkboard.

That said, anything I watched dubbed that I grew up on (read: before I was 14)... :shrug: the dub is going to resonate with me even if the Japanese VAs are better.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 16, 2019, 03:54:28 PM »
I had some issues with a couple of my DVDs recently, but I haven't figured out whether it is my DVD player or the discs in question :/ Nothing lasts forever, though. I can no longer play my discs of Angelique Etoile because of them wearing out :/

I have watched Sailor Moon but not for a long time and only in Japanese. It was fine but I never totally understood all the hype around it.

My Blu-Ray player decided not to play a DVD recently so I tried it on my mom's newer player and it played just fine.  I'd try your discs on a new player before discarding for sure.  Would cleaning/resurfacing the disc work to fix it?  I work in a library and usually that's all our discs need to work again, though they can only be resurfaced so many times before they get worn out beyond repair.

I think the hype with Sailor Moon was that the original English dub was one of the few Animes available on mainstream US television in the 90s and it was aimed at girls so it got a lot of attention, even though the 90s definitely had better Animes that came out.  The re-dub is better in many ways but I have some nostalgia attached to the original dub so I kind of miss it sometimes. And there was never a dub of the Sailor Stars season so when that comes out I'm sure people are going to go crazy for it just because it never aired here.  Sailor Moon Crystal is also better in some ways because it cuts out all of the fluff episodes and gives Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite, and Kunzite more of a connection to the Moon Kingdom, which makes their demise all the more dramatic. 

Sailor Moon is cheesy but I like it anyway.  It's still not as cheesy as Speed Racer (which I also watched last week) and lets be honest, Pokemon is cheesy, too.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 16, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »

Oh man. I remember in highschool my friend was all like "This anime is so great" in regards to FY, but I couldn't get into it because the dub was like nails on a chalkboard.

That said, anything I watched dubbed that I grew up on (read: before I was 14)... :shrug: the dub is going to resonate with me even if the Japanese VAs are better.

I think I'm the same. The one exception to my dub ban is Tenchi because it was something I consider nostalgic watched as a teen rather than really seeing it as anime in a bigger genre. It was the first series I ever watched and the obvious sake dubbed as 'tea' amused me much.

So glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Yuugi dub is deathly. Yuugi was the first anime I watched in Japanese but I first watched eps on YT and it was somewhere around ep 12 where there was only an English ep. And that was enough. With Chi-Cheery and Hohtohhoori's very bad enunciation (Not to mention Tusky), that was me done on dubs forever. I started learning Japanese soon after ;) And I bought Yuugi on DVD. It is still one of my absolute pet series, especially the wider storylines around the novels and such...but I will never watch a dub again.

Ever.

Regarding the DVDs, I won't be throwing them out till I've tested them more :) I used to work in a library too so I learned various tricks to clean them but this isn't that, unfortunately :/ But it could be my player.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 16, 2019, 07:53:54 PM »
I agree with Pokeyonekenobie about why Sailor Moon had so much hype surrounding it. I only saw one part of one episode of the original English dub in the 90s when I turned the TV on to catch another show and Sailor Moon happened to be on.

There were other animes in the US before Sailor Moon but I do think it was one the first that aired on a major TV station and got more viewers than the animes that were available at video rental stores.  My grandparents had several anime movies that I watched when I stayed with them including Unico and the Island of Magic,  Toei's Fairy Tales, and Hana No Ko Lunlun (which I only knew as Angel).

I didn't start watching Sailor Moon until I was an adult so I've only seen the Viz version of the episodes and S movie.  I enjoy the 90's Sailor Moon and Crystal.

One of the Walmart stores in my area did a reset in the movies section and suddenly stocked a lot more anime than usual. There are several movies that I haven't seen before and I think a few of them are new releases.

I wanted to get The Girl Who Leapt Through Time but no stores around me seem to have it in stock. I have a few more episodes of the original Fruits Basket anime left.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
We taped both Unico movies off of TV so when I found out they were on DVD I had to buy them.  :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 17, 2019, 06:08:53 AM »

I think I'm the same. The one exception to my dub ban is Tenchi because it was something I consider nostalgic watched as a teen rather than really seeing it as anime in a bigger genre. It was the first series I ever watched and the obvious sake dubbed as 'tea' amused me much.

I paid the extra $5 to buy the sub VHS over the dub VHS because I HATED that dub so much. $30 dollars for 2 episodes. (Oh but hey, that was better then the $35 for 1 episode with the clamshell cases.) Tenchi was the divider for me of sub/dub.

Regarding the DVDs, I won't be throwing them out till I've tested them more :) I used to work in a library too so I learned various tricks to clean them but this isn't that, unfortunately :/ But it could be my player.
Also I didn't mention in my first post that my defective DVDs that were new but worked on some players and not others-- so it could still be a reflection of the DVD and not necessarily the player. But it could be the player too!

>_<;

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 18, 2019, 03:33:17 AM »
I watch all my anime DVDs and Blu Rays on my PS4

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 18, 2019, 05:40:42 AM »
Though rewatching Saiyuuki is high up on my to do list. Because it's awesome.

I remember back in '06 I was working at the Grand Canyon National Park and there is NOTHING to do after dark. My roomate had bought Saiyuki Dvd's and I bought all the Inuyasha ones that were avalible at the time and we would watch them at night.

I don't remember much of saiyuki other then they changed voice actors at some point and I remember that really annoyed me. I know its based off of Journey to the west.

I also watced FY dubbed ut the only thing I remember that annoyed the ever loving crap out of me wasn't the voice acting, it was the female lead character because I thought she was so annoyingly stupid.
FYI - I named my chinchilla Chichiri  ^.^ I miss her. 

Don’t watch Monrose Monokean 3, with the sexual accusation against Vic Mignogna, Funimation has redubbed over his lines plus fired him along with another company. All thanks to Monica Rial and Jaime  Marchi.
His part in the anime is not very big. He's in like maybe 3 or 4 episodes as he is not one of the lead VA's.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:45:51 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 19, 2019, 03:22:46 AM »
If it was the Saiyuuki dub...maybe. The original Japanese version has had the same seiyuu for 20 years....it is very rare for Japanese vkice artists to change. Usually it is extreme circumstances such as death that make it happen.

The Japanese main cast are awesome.

Miaka and Yui are both annoying. I am in it for the seishi. Although Tamahome / Taka also has his moments.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:25:44 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2019, 06:16:13 AM »
If it was the Saiyuuki dub...maybe

Yeah, it was. I think I remember reading that the VA of the water sprite guy was fired for marrying a 13 year old girl or something like that?
I also remember thinking that the early seasons - the characters had different personalities then the later seasons. I don;t know if it was some kind of censoring or what but the seemed to be more mellow. This does not include the most recent season (which I did enjoy).

I am in it for the seishi. Although Tamahome / Taka also has his moments

I'm usually in it for the attractive looking men, especially if they are demons/yokai or gods. I dragged my boyfriend to every shinto shrine I could find, which he did not approve of being the strict christian that he is. He mellowed out a bit when I told him I don't beleive in it, I just find it very intersting and alot of my fav anime/manga is based off of it.
I just got back from Japan (Okinawa) on Tuesday but I went alone this time.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:18:04 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »
If it was the Saiyuuki dub...maybe

Yeah, it was. I think I remember reading that the VA of the water sprite guy was fired for marrying a 13 year old girl or something like that?
I also remember thinking that the early seasons - the characters had different personalities then the later seasons. I don;t know if it was some kind of censoring or what but the seemed to be more mellow. This does not include the most recent season (which I did enjoy).

Not a clue. I pay no attention whatsoever to dub artists. I don't know anything about any of them xD. I only know the Japanese ones.

Now I'm going into spoiler tags because there is a risk of rambling about Saiyuuki in general ;)

Spoiler
The anime works kind of like this - Gensoumaden-Gensoumaden Gaiden/Filler arc with Homura-Reload-Reload Gunlock-Reload Blast.

The manga works like this: Saiyuuki (Gensoumaden without the filler, Reload), Saiyuuki Reload (the start of Gunlock and then an extended period of unanimated storyline), Reload Blast (Reload Blast).

So there's some chopping about of the story. Especially with the story that's animated as Reload but which is actually not Reload. Also there are a lot of of odd episodes in both Reload and Reload Gunlock which are entirely filler, and that also disrupts the flow of the narrative proper.

I don't think the characters are different but I am reading the manga and watching the anime in Japanese so maybe there's a difference in the dub if the voice artists changed or something? I can't talk about the translation because I haven't listened to it.

What I can say is there are some censored details in Gensoumaden which aren't really touched on directly at later points. Things like the nature of Hakkai's relationship with Kana, the true nature of his crime, the circumstances around the death of Gojou's mother (I think there's a hint of this, but it's not fully explained), and so on aren't so explicit in the anime. Also the entire details around Hakkai's crime and the flashback are changed somewhat from the manga for some reason.

Also Gunlock is mostly filler. It begins with a proper arc of manga, and the characters Hazel and his companion, their mission, all of that is from the manga - but at the midpoint it switches out because Saiyuuki was on hiatus (author's frequent ill health). So they made up an ending. It's a bad ending, because it does a few things I shouldn't do and doesn't do a few things it needs to do.
Spoiler
It kills Hazel, and it doesn't properly elucidate on Ukoku and explain all the missing pieces of the puzzle. This arc, Even a Worm in the manga, explains a lot that isn't in the anime at all and may never be. It also includes the epic Gokuu/Hakkai fight which I cry inwardly about, I want so much to see that animated. That is referenced in the recent Reload Blast anime, but not properly :'(

So Reload Blast brought it back bang onto the manga, it's very close to the manga version (is this dubbed? I have only seen it in Japanese language and I don't even know if the manga is translated for Blast?). THe only addition to this is the added flashback scenes from the 500 years ago Gaiden story.

THere's also two OVA that aren't really extant in English dub I don't think. One is Burial, which talks about the pasts of each one in a sense - Sanzou's history, how Gokuu met Sanzou, and Hakkai and Gojou trying to live together before going on the journey. THe other is the gaiden in full, with all the gory details. These are from the manga too, but I feel like maybe their absence in the proper run of the anime also mutes the characters a bit?

As I said, though, it may just be the dub?

Onto Yuugi. Yuugi actually inspired me to properly sit down and learn Japanese for the stupid reason I wanted to read the novels and it was either Japanese or German, so I might as well learn the Japanese. It's a silly reason to learn a language but it has hugely changed my life so I won't complain. I find the characters interesting but the narrative is a bit brutal at times! I think I'm mostly just character driven in the shows and stories that attract me. I don't need them to be demons or whatever, or even to be handsome. I just need them to have a great character dynamic.

Shinto shrines are awesome. :D I had to visit a bunch during my fieldwork visit because of their connections to various individuals in my research. :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2019, 04:02:58 PM »
Speaking of returning voice actors I just saw that most of the English dub cast of Fruits Basket will be returning to their roles in the new anime. I didn’t see anything about the Japanese version but assume they will also try to get most of the same cast?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
Speaking of returning voice actors I just saw that most of the English dub cast of Fruits Basket will be returning to their roles in the new anime. I didn’t see anything about the Japanese version but assume they will also try to get most of the same cast?

Ponyfan

The Japanese cast is entirely different, which is really unusual. I did some digging about this and apparently the creator wanted everything done completely from scratch, so totally fresh for the new series. Apparently this has been endorsed by some of the original cast. I wonder whether I'm a minority in being saddened by that decision, though. I like continuity.

And I am a big fan of the original seiyuu for Shigure, so a little part of me weeps inside that he's not reprising the role.

In other news (and I know you guys probably don't care, but I want to share it anyway)...

The angelique series I mentioned earlier as the first one I ever watched without subs (that my disc has corroded for)...I just found a bunch of the episodes are on Youtube :D

For some reason they start at ep 7 of the first arc and then most of the second arc. But that's better than nothing. I haven't seen any of it in a long while.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:23:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2019, 04:47:51 PM »
I didn't realize that none of the Japanese voice cast would be returning for the new Fruits Basket anime.

I'm glad you found the anglelique series on Youtube. :) 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:51:55 PM by Ponyfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal