collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202527 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »
oooooh Toonami, that's right!  I vaguely remember that!  I totally did not like Gundam so I wasn't paying attention...

DBZ has plot in the manga.  Unfortunately in episode format, this meant SO.MANY.FILLER episodes because I think the manga was still ongoing at that time?  Common problem in anime...

I think honestly it's a combination between my tastes and the series itself, I also don't like the artwork. I also agree that probably Toonami'd DB isn't the best introduction to it, because it's dub and cut and yeah.

Fillers can kill series, it's true - but tbh, even the worst and most stupid of the Bleach fillers did at least have some type of plot going on. Bleach is pretty much the only mainstream type shounen manga I ever got into and that probably because of all the tiny cultural details hidden away inside the story as much as the characters. It got wrecked in the last manga arc, and that was that for me with the actual canon, though, so I think it's probably as much just what I can get into. I still love Bleach, for all its flaws, but not the final arc because it's horrible, and not the fillers because they're also mostly horrible xD. I also never was able to get into One Piece even though it's super popular so I think that it's more just not my genre of anime/manga and that's the main reason I didn't want to give DB any more time after Toonami.

I really don't read much manga any more (although it is true that mostly manga > anime with series) because it's so tricky to get in Japanese...I have a few light novels for some series like Saiunkoku, Yuugi etc but I mostly don't read it. I did such a lot of translation correction for Bleach chapters over a period of about 2 years for an online community it really taught me how bad fan scanlations and official translations can be so I won't read them any more. That limits my access to manga so if the anime doesn't step up, I kind of just let it go...

I wanted to get into Gundam because Midorikawa Hikaru is one of the voice artists I've always followed, but I couldn't. Heero was just...such...a whiny boy. xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2018, 11:41:46 AM »

I wanted to get into Gundam because Midorikawa Hikaru is one of the voice artists I've always followed, but I couldn't. Heero was just...such...a whiny boy. xD

Huh?  I grew up watching Gundam Wing and I don't recall him being whiny. He was manipulated into killing a whole plane full of pacifists but I definitely wouldn't classify him as whiny.  If anything, that boy needs to talk more. I've watched the dub with subtitles to see how close the translations (supposedly) are and I didn't think they were too far off.  Maybe the actual Japanese has him whinier than they dubbed him to be.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »
In the UK Toonami had DBZ, Tenchi and Gundam Wing if I remember right. I loved Tenchi despite the dub and obvious cuts but hated DBZ and couldn't get into Gundam. I never saw Sailor Moon in English so I dunno what channel or wherr it aired here. Never knew it was meant to be Toonami.

For me DBZ had no plot. It was just a series of increasingly unrealistic battles while people stood around describing the fights. I never saw any other DB though. That put me off.

I need an actual plot...godmodding fights aren't my thing really...

Eh.
I wouldn't say that Sailor Moon was meant for Toonami.
It hit local tv in North America in 1995/1996. It bombed tho. XD

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »

Huh?  I grew up watching Gundam Wing and I don't recall him being whiny. He was manipulated into killing a whole plane full of pacifists but I definitely wouldn't classify him as whiny.  If anything, that boy needs to talk more. I've watched the dub with subtitles to see how close the translations (supposedly) are and I didn't think they were too far off.  Maybe the actual Japanese has him whinier than they dubbed him to be.

It was a long time ago as it was the Toonami dub, I never actually bothered to chase up the Japanese version but I remember him complaining about things a lot. I think the English voice he had didn't help though. There are some really bad 1990s dubs.

Sometimes the subtitles that appear on DVDs are based off the dub version, rather than the Japanese. But having never seen Gundam in its proper original form, I can't comment on that. I learned the fact from Tenchi, when I first saw it in Japanese and realised that my DVD had 2 separate subtitle options, one which matched the dub and one which didn't...when I learned Japanese I later realised the second sub track was a closer match for the Japanese. So weird how they do that sometimes.

In any case, the edited dub of Gundam on Toonami put me off pursuing the series further, so I don't think I ever saw the proper Japanese version with Midorikawa Hikaru as Heero. But I do have a lot of songs from various Gundam iterations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:44:12 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
In the UK Toonami had DBZ, Tenchi and Gundam Wing if I remember right. I loved Tenchi despite the dub and obvious cuts but hated DBZ and couldn't get into Gundam. I never saw Sailor Moon in English so I dunno what channel or wherr it aired here. Never knew it was meant to be Toonami.

For me DBZ had no plot. It was just a series of increasingly unrealistic battles while people stood around describing the fights. I never saw any other DB though. That put me off.

I need an actual plot...godmodding fights aren't my thing really...

Eh.

It was on Fox's EARLY morning cartoon line-up where I lived.  My friends and I all got up super early to watch it at 5:30 am.  It came on right after Dragonball.  Then Super Mario Bros. came on, followed by Samurai Pizza Cats :)  Of course it didn't do well... it was given a most undesirable timeslot.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
I also remember Sailor Moon coming on super early. I think I started watching it while I was waiting for something else to come on that I wanted to watch and for years I could only remember something about a tree. Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders also came on when most kids were still asleep on the weekends. 

I'm still watching Miraculous Ladybug and Cat Noir. :)  There seems to be at 3 versions of the theme song. The original one in French, a short English version and a longer English version.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 01, 2018, 12:01:40 PM »
I watched Sailor Moon at 6 or 6:30 am weekdays. I'd tape it on days I didn't have to be up.

I also remember it appearing on Saturday late morning... But only caught that once , so not sure if it was regular.

Mario Bros wasn't on afterwards for me ;_; I would of loved that, as I thought that's as cable only.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2018, 03:27:21 PM »
I rewatched "Your Name" the other night. It's one of my favorite animes now. :) and I've found myself listening to "Sparkle" from the soundtrack.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:29:34 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
Bleh. I have my thing for old kids animes and stuff with androids or artifical intelligences. My favorites are definetly Rockman.EXE (aired in west as "Megaman NT Warrior" 14 or so years ago), Digimon 02, aaand I just a week or so ago finished rewatching Shinzou Ningen Casshan -- also a big favorite of mine. I have my small list of animes to watch, but right now I'm trying to emotionaly prepare to rewatch Casshern Sins. It's such a heavy and dark anime. What even is liking mainstream series? Oh boy.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »
Heh. He was pretty moody. My favorite was Duo :)

Eh.
My sister and I would sometimes watch it because it came on right after Pokemon; I feel like we probably had to get to school or something, though, like it was early in the morning. Did it really bomb? I can see why it might not do well overall commercially, since I remember the Sailor Moon dolls being on clearance on the shelves. But the series, I think, was pretty popular and a "gateway drug" for lots of anime fans? (at least female ones of a certain age). We'd play Sailor Scouts with our neighbors (I threw leaves in the air for my brilliant Sailor Jupiter attack . . . ) My sister fell head-over-heels for the series and bought every DVD, even the Stars series, which was hard back then as it was only released in Japan and she was like ten years old, lol. This is random, but she used to commission me for 25 cents a picture to draw pony version of the Sailor Scouts, ha ha. Those were the days.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:50:24 PM by Haruna »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »
I saw this had mentioned in a "Your Name" video on YouTube. It's animated by the same director as "Your Name"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJbEZ_N87i0

Ponyfan

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen an episode of Sailor Moon.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 08, 2018, 02:29:23 AM »
I don't think I have ever seen an episode of Sailor Moon.

I only saw it in Japanese. I don't remember being blown away by it but I kind of felt I needed to at least see it because it was so culturally out there. I like the theme (the Japanese original theme) better than the show in general.

*rant about renaming in spoiler tags*
Spoiler
I don't like how some shows rename characters but then again it's maybe better that they do that than mangle the names in dub? I am not sure. But I can't see her as Serena. She's Usagi, because of the Japanese joke about the rabbit in the moon (usagi = rabbit) so the Serena name completely means nothing and destroys that aspect of the joke...

I've only seen a little bit of Pokemon in Japanese as it's much harder to get hold of, but I am always amused that Pikachu is never dubbed. Ootani Ikue voices him I think in the Japanese and her voice is kept for the English version as well. And I feel a lot like if they can keep Pikachu (electric mouse), they don't need to rename the main characters...
But at least in Pokemon, Misty kind of means the same as Kasumi. Unlike Serena and Usagi, which misses the point entirely. She's called rabbit for a reason!

I think I mostly watched SM actually because of Tenchi. Because Tenchi has a spinoff spoof series called Pretty Sammy and I guess to get the whole humour of that I needed to see something properly magical girlish.

It makes me sad that Tenchi has been ruined by OVA 3 and the subsequent rubbish...sigh, never mind.
I suppose at the very least none of the Tenchi cast got renamed unecessarily.

I finished watching Assassination Classroom this week. I actually really liked it overall except I felt like bits of the ending bothered me. But in general I liked it :) Also kudos to Fukuyama Jun for all the different nuances he got out of Koro-sensei's voice, both as Koro-sensei and in other aspects of Koro-sensei's history/role.

I don't know what to watch next though :/ I have such a long list of shows to watch and I find it so hard to decide...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 08, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
The Viz dub of Sailor Moon keeps their original names so she is Usagi to me too.

I'm still watching Miraculous Ladybug. :)

Ponyfan

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 08, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
Serena/Selena is one of the Greek moon goddesses, so I sort of get where the translated N.American moniker came from.... they were trying to stick to the theme... and MOST Westerners have zero clue about the rabbit in the moon pounding his mochi cakes ;) 

I had a lot of fairytale books as a kid so this wasn't a NEW thing for me... actually it made me like Sailormoon more because I was clued into the cosmology to begin with... ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal