collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202494 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2018, 01:47:47 AM »
The best/worst one was when sake became tea in Tenchi Muyou...one of the few dubs I watched before I did Japanese.

Jelly donut is a great example of how American dubs are also not always good for other English speakers too. What you call jelly we call jam and the idea of jelly in a doughnut is just....

O
Whereas on the flipside we have onigiri here and sold under that name.

I have no idea about the English dub of VK...only ever saw it n Japanese where it has a stellar cast...but yeah, that would be annoying.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
What you call jelly we call jam and the idea of jelly in a doughnut is just....
But its soo good! Its normally grape jelly but there other kinds like lemon or apple. There are also boston cream filled donuts which I guess would be close to a custard? or a pudding but...different. Im not sure, exactly, what boston cream is.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »
Yes but my point was what you call jelly we call jam. Jelly here is what you call jello. So by dubbing it that way it gets culturally lost in translation and becomes something revolting.

Jam doughnuts are fine.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »
"Jelly donuts" and the like confuses me because.. why not just call it a rice ball? I get not calling it "onigiri", especially if it's in something directed towards kids like Pokemon, but.. there's a perfectly understandable and clear English name for it, so...?? I sorta understand stuff like that sometimes (like.. I can't think of any examples off-hand but say, with a food that's specifically Japanese and doesn't really have an English counterpart/doesn't translate easily and it's on screen for 2 seconds, so they just go with something similar to get the point across. If that makes sense) but I've never understood it with rice balls. Weird.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
Anybody seen the new Netflix "Space Pirate Harlock"?  I thought it was really well-done and kept the original ambiance of the story!

I agree with Taffeta, give me original Japanese culture and stop Americanizing things.  I know it seems odd to newer fans but the cultural knowledge is important to know - otherwise WHY are you watching JAPANESE entertainment! Promoting ignorance by calling "onigiri"  "jelly donuts"?  WUT!  Onigiri is for rice and fish... even my 6 y/o knows that.  Not even close to a fried yeasty pastry...

*giggles* Jelly and Jam in N.America versus everywhere else...  yeah Jam goes on bread and Jelly is made from gelatin so DON'T put it on bread!  my DD's friend has UK parents and trying to translate "sweetie" talk - what are we feeding these kids?  I don't know but it's got sugar LOL

I will forgive Sailor Moon though because it was the first anime I fell in love with.  When it first came on TV and I was in 5th-6th grade, I looooooooooved Serena and her friends.  I was little, bouncing on my BFF's trampoline and playing "Make-Up Power!" was an awesome childhood memory.  About a year later I realized the show came from Japan and it wasn't just some silly kids' show and it had a HUGE following across the ocean AND that in Japan it was cool for adults to like cartoons - starting my gateway drug into the world of Japanese culture... LOL should I say "torii" instead?  So I have Sailor Moon as a nice memory and Sailormoon for all that I have learned and loved about Japan :)  If that makes sense? 

but hahahaa it's true, anime like Fushigi Yuugi needed a LOT of cultural explanation!!!  also Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura need a fair bit...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:12:43 AM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2018, 12:15:29 PM »
I just think it sucks that the dub people assume that the viewer in English doesn't want to know any of the Japanese cultural aspects and so rewrites them. It takes away the choice to engage in the culture, and not everyone can read subs at speed. It's sort of insulting to the audience :(

@LBS - yes! Yes to the jelly-donut-dilemma of the British xD.

Mind you, the things the Japanese put in onigiri is pretty varied at times, and some of them are revolting >< but not ever jelly (jello)!

I feel kind of like that with Tenchi which was my first anime, and was dubbed, and is still the only one I can watch dubbed for nostalgia's sake (aside occasionally pokemon which was completely butchered into a cartoon and is really hard to find in Japanese anyway).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
I had hoped that when Pokemon was re-released (they've been releasing it in season sets) they would have left the Japanese language track on them so you could watch in Japanese if you chose, but so far they haven't.  I could never figure out why they called rice balls "donuts", either.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »
yeah, I wish the JP version of Pokemon was easier to find. It's weird how hard it is to find subbed episodes, given how huge Pokemon is.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2018, 12:40:04 PM »
I just found a listing for a new anime movie from the same company that did "Your Name" It's called "Fireworks"  Here's the subbed and dubbed trailers for it.

Subbed Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG770hOuT2k

Dubbed Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajApinThs4

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 04, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
yeah, I wish the JP version of Pokemon was easier to find. It's weird how hard it is to find subbed episodes, given how huge Pokemon is.

It's of course possible to buy it from Japan, but subbing doesn't seem to happen much. I think there may be a lot of pressure on the licencing aspect and fansubbers don't want to risk it. Countries that speak English get the doctored cut US dubbed versions with the changed names and that's that.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 07, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
I watched "The Cat Returns" last night. I enjoyed it. :) I think  "Fireworks" looks really interesting.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Snowhoof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 07, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »
I don't watch that much Anime anymore like I used to when I was younger. When I was in my teens/early twenties I was crazy about Anime. Now I just watch the occasional series here and there when I have the time. The last series I watched and kept up with while it was airing was Juni Taisen: Zodiac War. Think of it like Chinese Zodiac meets Hunger Games with the characters having some neat abilities. I really loved that series and even though it was a bit predictable, it was so exciting to see what happens to the characters featured in each episode. It's one of the few series where I liked all of the twelve main characters too. Plus the opening is <3 <3 <3!!!

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 07, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
Has Grimgar been mentioned in this thread yet? I watched it last week (it's currently a single season long) and am absolutely in love with its art and how it's completely character-driven.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2018, 06:11:42 AM »
Only anime I'll watch now is Attack on Titan, hence why I downloaded crunchyroll on my PS4 to watch Season 3.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2018, 10:48:24 AM »
So this is the time of year when I discover that I absolutely don't watch any of the mainstream popular anime everyone else does. I am not quite sure why that is, but I seem to have a fatal attraction for obscure stuff...

Aside Bleach, which has been over a long time and effectively died the moment the final arc of manga began to be (I dare not say, 'written', it's too polite a word), I've never really gone for the series that everyone else seems to. But I don't really think about it much until I go to local festival things and don't recognise half the cosplay, half the anime themes and half the characters on merchandise ;)

...Oh well :) I guess that's fine...?

Been finally watching the rest of Monochrome Factor this week. I remember I started watching that when it originally aired years ago. Then I kind of forgot about it for a long time and then dug it up from my DVDs again the other week so decided to finally watch it.

Nice to hear Suwabe Junichi and Ono Daisuke voicing characters <3 Especially Suwabe's flipping between polite Shirogane and not so polite Shirogane, depending whether Akira is there or not...

It's not a bad anime. Probably not one of my favourites though...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:50:44 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal