collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202577 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »
I just finished Naruto. I don't know what to do with my life now.

I need something new to binge watch.  :lookround:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »
I just finished My Love Story.  It's adorable.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
I’m also looking for anime recommendations. My Walmart stores are starting to stock more Studio Ghibli movies since they’ve moved from Disney to Ghibli Kids.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:23 PM »
I'm now rewatching Ouran. I still think it's totally crack, although I also think the questions it raises about gender roles are interesting. What with Haruhi not really caring about being mistaken for a boy, and not fitting the stereotypes...and all the other things going on.

I am pretending that watching anime helps with my Japanese work. It's good to pretend.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2018, 02:56:36 AM »
I’m also looking for anime recommendations. My Walmart stores are starting to stock more Studio Ghibli movies since they’ve moved from Disney to Ghibli Kids.

Honestly, I only liked The Cat returns, Howls moving Castle and Spirited away. The one with the little people was good too. Normally I hate subtitles but for some reason, I really do not like the dubbing of these. I know they are all done by famous actors but is like the voices do not match the characters.

I'm now rewatching Ouran. I still think it's totally crack, although I also think the questions it raises about gender roles are interesting. What with Haruhi not really caring about being mistaken for a boy, and not fitting the stereotypes...and all the other things going on.

I suppose having a crossdressing father helped.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:02:54 AM by tikibirds »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:50 AM »

Honestly, I only liked The Cat returns, Howls moving Castle and Spirited away. The one with the little people was good too. Normally I hate subtitles but for some reason, I really do not like the dubbing of these. I know they are all done by famous actors but is like the voices do not match the characters.

I suppose having a crossdressing father helped.

I am not really a fan of Ghibli either. I like a couple. Spirited Away and Mononoke-hime are ok, and the one based on the borrowers which I cannot remember the name of for some reason right now. But I always feel like Ghibli are like the Japanese Disney...and if you only ever watched Disney, you'd miss a lot of cool other stuff...

Not a fan of dubs either, but that's personal preference and I admit, I'm also not a fan of subs. Subs are more often correct to the original than dubs, but they usually both take liberties and I like to know what is actually being said in the story, not what some other person decided to render it as...

Re Ouran - yes indeed :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2018, 12:38:26 AM »
Normally, if there is a dubbed version, I would prefer that. I would rather have the translation make sense to me, as an American then to have the original Japanese version of something that would make no sense to me. Plus, I miss 1/2 of it anyways because I can't read that fast. I know there are a lot of SUBS ONLY people out there, especially on FB groups but.. Dubs please. If subs are the only option, I will watch that way though. The exceptions being the Ghibli movies because the voices don;t match the characters and Hetalia because of the way that show is, I usually can't hear/understand what they are saying.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »
I also prefer dubbed anime over subtitles as I feel like if I’m having to read the subtitles to understand what the characters are saying it takes away from my enjoyment of the movie. That being said I have watched some short scenes that were only subtitled and it didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would.

I’m open to anime from other companies besides Studio Ghibli also. :)

I’m been considering Wedding Peach. Is there a place to watch it in English?

Ponyfan

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2018, 01:52:37 PM »
I watch a lot of subbed, but the English teacher in me makes it easy to keep up with subtitles. It’s not that I overly prefer them, but of the dub is overly different from the sub I prefer the sub. Many times I end up watching both to compare. I was on a big kick on anime for a while during the school year. Right now there isn’t much on Hulu and Netflix minus my waiting on new seasons. I’m waiting for the rest of Tokyo Ghoul to be put up on Hulu before I start it.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »
I've been watching Emma: A Victorian Romance.  It's cute so far.

It doesn't have a dub, so I have to read it, but I sometimes wonder how the translation is because the words at the bottom won't say a name but the character speaking clearly said "Emma" while talking to or about her to someone else.  I've also noticed spelling and grammatical errors in the subtitles so sometimes it takes a minute to figure out what they were trying to say.  However, if I could ever manage to break into voice acting it's one that I'd love to do.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

Ponyfan

aaaa I would definitely recommend Wedding Peach!!! I finally got round to watching it this year and it's so good :D I'm pretty sure the dub's online, I'm not sure if there's any official streaming places for it though (I prefer subs). I do know the DVDs are out of print >_< Having a heck of a time trying to find the ones I'm missing.

good luck finding it!! It's really good!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:49 AM »

Ponyfan

aaaa I would definitely recommend Wedding Peach!!! I finally got round to watching it this year and it's so good :D I'm pretty sure the dub's online, I'm not sure if there's any official streaming places for it though (I prefer subs). I do know the DVDs are out of print >_< Having a heck of a time trying to find the ones I'm missing.

good luck finding it!! It's really good!

I did find some episodes on Youtube but it looks like someone held a mesh screen up to their TV before recording them. :(

I will keep looking though as it looks like a series I would really enjoy once I got in to it.

I watched From Up on Poppy Hill I liked it but not as much as the other Studio Ghibli movies I've seen so far.

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »
I've been watching Emma: A Victorian Romance.  It's cute so far.

It doesn't have a dub, so I have to read it, but I sometimes wonder how the translation is because the words at the bottom won't say a name but the character speaking clearly said "Emma" while talking to or about her to someone else.  I've also noticed spelling and grammatical errors in the subtitles so sometimes it takes a minute to figure out what they were trying to say.  However, if I could ever manage to break into voice acting it's one that I'd love to do.

The reason for that is probably the difference in how Japanese uses terms of address vs how English does. For example, in Japanese, it's not uncommon to use someone's name to refer to someone, rather than the words for 'he' and 'she'. It can also be more polite to use someone's name than 'you'. Those words do exist, but to literally translate that over without accommodating cultural norms in English would mean you'd have a character standing in front of Emma saying "And what does Emma want?" as opposed to "and what do you want?" (Emma wa nani ga hoshii no ka?)

So that's why.  Although if the spelling and grammar is also suspect...*shrug*. There are some subtitles like that as well :/

I totally respect people's personal preferences about dubs and subs and I don't get involved in dub vs sub politics, because I don't really love either.

My general position on this is not that dubs or subs shouldn't exist, but that they could do a lot better in servicing their audiences.

I find the pronunciation of Japanese names in dubs pretty painful, but my real issue with dubs is the obsessive need they have to Westernise things that don't need Westernising. For example, I remember one instance of a character in Bleach who in Japanese, resolutely insists on the other characters not calling him by his first name because he hates it. In the English dub, however, his first name is always used. The character's nuances are completely different in the dub. I really don't like this.

Add to this that I hate the compulsive need by some series to rename the characters. It drives me up the wall whenever anyone refers to Sailor Moon as Serena, because that is so not her name. I am less bothered by Ash and company because getting hold of Japanese Pokemon episodes is a lot harder to do...but the principle is the same. Is Satoshi really that hard to say? I wonder...

I also have an issue with one series which was never dubbed but in the subs they mangled the names and Westernised the roles of the characters. This is a story set in Heian Japan, and they made a yin yang practitioner into a 'sorcerer' and they turned the name Sefuru into Sefle. I am still cringing at this, several years on.

In short, I don't mind that they exist. I just wish they didn't take such liberties with the original.

Japanese dialogue is usually better than English dub because the original in any language is usually performed more naturally (by dint of not having to match foreign mouth movements - not the fault of the dub artists, just how things are). But the real quality of the original is that Japanese has so many variations in the way people interact and address each other that a lot of things about the character is contained in their manner of speech. Translation rarely manages to convey that :/

It horrifies some of the manga purists, but I would rather watch a subbed anime with Japanese voice track than read the manga in English. As a rule, if it's a manga adaptation, there is less alteration in the Japanese anime adaptation than there is in the English translation of the original manga.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:10:03 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2018, 06:40:48 AM »
Castlevania has announced its second season.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2018, 12:59:17 AM »
Add to this that I hate the compulsive need by some series to rename the characters. It drives me up the wall whenever anyone refers to Sailor Moon as Serena, because that is so not her name. I am less bothered by Ash and company because getting hold of Japanese Pokemon episodes is a lot harder to do...but the principle is the same. Is Satoshi really that hard to say? I wonder...

I wonder if they did that with the pokemon names because it was aimed at younger kids? It's obviously a rice ball but they call it a jelly donut.
What drove me nuts, when I was watching Vampire Knight, was when Yuki would say a name one way and everyone else said it differently. I donlt care how you pronounce it, just be consistant. Kinda like how they butchered Aang in the Airbender movie.  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:06:11 AM by tikibirds »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal