collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202558 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2017, 06:20:01 PM »
I'm thinking about watching The Secret World of Arietty.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »
It reminds me of the 1980's cartoon series "The Littles"

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
Thanks Tikibirds. :) I thought about "The Littles" also.

Edit: Target had it on sale for $9.99 so I picked up a copy today. :)

Poyfan
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:08:06 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
It is cute.  ^.^

Lhianneth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #109 on: July 30, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »
Caught up on all the Bakemonogatari, and have some very mixed feelings about that show... uff.

Watched all of Yamada and the Seven Witches in one night, which was pretty cute. And now we're watching Your Lie in April, which is making me hideously angry.

It's supposed to be feel-good, slice-of-life, but the premise behind the story, and the lack of understanding from the main character's friends, is making me rage. But I'll stick it out. Because my friend told me to. :|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2017, 05:14:21 PM »
I watched The Secret World of Arietty and really enjoyed it.  :)

Ponyfan

Lhianneth

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »

Ponyfan

I had mixed feelings about that one. The pacing was very strange. :(

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2017, 10:45:40 PM »
Started watching Black Lagoon. OMGS these people are totally unhinged.

Not sure if I like it.

I'm trying out Beezlebub. It's weird and kinda funny.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:23:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »

Ponyfan
Studio Ghibli FTW! :) I like that movie, too.

And now we're watching Your Lie in April, which is making me hideously angry.

It's supposed to be feel-good, slice-of-life, but the premise behind the story, and the lack of understanding from the main character's friends, is making me rage. But I'll stick it out. Because my friend told me to. :|

Your Lie In April . . . so many feels. Do you mean the lack of understanding for Kaori and her situation? At times I was irritated to see how Kousei treated her (though she isn't always great towards him). I enjoyed watching the series, but it has so many emotional ups and downs I haven't rewatched it or I'd cry too much, lol. There are some great moments in it, though, and I would definitely recommend it like your friend did -- it explores love and loss and some deep stuff. And as a piano player, too, I find it interesting.

Lhianneth

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2017, 01:27:43 AM »
Your Lie In April . . . so many feels. Do you mean the lack of understanding for Kaori and her situation? At times I was irritated to see how Kousei treated her (though she isn't always great towards him). I enjoyed watching the series, but it has so many emotional ups and downs I haven't rewatched it or I'd cry too much, lol. There are some great moments in it, though, and I would definitely recommend it like your friend did -- it explores love and loss and some deep stuff. And as a piano player, too, I find it interesting.

Ah. Actually. More the fact that Kousei's friends pushed him back into piano, while at least two of them knew of his history/the situation with his mother. I get that they were trying to help him, and that they're just teenagers, but it was extremely misguided in my opinion, and his "recovery" didn't seem particularly sincere or realistic to me. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, and I did finish it, but I feel like there were some seriously terrible things that people did to that kid.

The final roof scene could have resolved a lot of those things for me, but obviously that didn't happen. I found the final concert and the letter to both be a cop-out by comparison. Honestly, the amount of trauma visited on Kousei, and the remark that his mother's friend made about his "moving on" made me feel pretty sick watching the show. I think I must not have been the target audience, because I didn't find it romantic at all. It felt very exploitative.

We started March Comes in Like a Lion/Sangatsu no lion immediately after, and while it has some very similar themes (doing something you're good at because of familial pressure, or because you think you're obligated to because you're good at it; loss of family members and the grieving process that follows; problematic love stories and relationships that aren't 100% honest), it handles those themes with a lot more delicacy and skill.

Edit: I just remembered we have spoiler tags. XD;

Spoilers of what I felt about Your Lie in April:

Spoiler
The main thing I hated was that she decided to make her "legacy" a relationship with someone who didn't know she was dying. That, being the entire plot of the show, made me really angry. Among other things. It was a very clumsy telling, to me.

The lie wasn't some small thing like was implied to me when my friend recommended it (seriously, she made it sound like a mistaken identity or something). Living to enjoy your last days to their fullest is fine, but knowing that you're dying, and intentionally seeking someone out to attach to so that they will feel the pain of your death and never forget it, is a terrible, horrible, selfish thing to do. Even more-so when it's clear that that person has some sort of trauma that they're still recovering from in their recent past. To make a small-scale comparison, it's like the idea of rubbing lemon juice into a paper-cut, knowing that the lemon is half-rotten and will likely cause sepsis.

So I didn't find their relationship romantic as a result of that, but rather saw it as an emotionally abusive counter-point to the situation with Kousei's mum's physical and verbal abuse.

I didn't find his reaction to her admission that she was ill unrealistic (his desire not to visit her, his feelings of awkwardness seeing her in hospital), but I did find his recovery and acceptance of her lie to be rather premature and unrealistic given how much she'd brow-beat him into joining her on the stage. I also hated that Tsubaki knew about the abuse, but still thought that pushing him at Kaori and the piano was a good idea.

If she had confessed the whole situation to him on the roof before his final concert and her surgery, I might've been okay with the show in the end, because she at least owned up to what she had been doing all along, and decided to take responsibility for it. But she didn't, and continued to leave him with what she knew was false hope. As such, I found the vision he had of her during the concert to be in poor taste, and the letter that she gave him to be a cowardly thing to do. She didn't take responsibility for what happened between them. She didn't give him the closure he deserved, and never got from his mother's death and abuse. It was clumsy, as a story, and undignified.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:44:40 AM by Lhianneth »

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2017, 07:52:36 PM »
Ah. Actually. More the fact that Kousei's friends pushed him back into piano, while at least two of them knew of his history/the situation with his mother. I get that they were trying to help him, and that they're just teenagers, but it was extremely misguided in my opinion, and his "recovery" didn't seem particularly sincere or realistic to me. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, and I did finish it, but I feel like there were some seriously terrible things that people did to that kid.

The final roof scene could have resolved a lot of those things for me, but obviously that didn't happen. I found the final concert and the letter to both be a cop-out by comparison. Honestly, the amount of trauma visited on Kousei, and the remark that his mother's friend made about his "moving on" made me feel pretty sick watching the show. I think I must not have been the target audience, because I didn't find it romantic at all. It felt very exploitative.

We started March Comes in Like a Lion/Sangatsu no lion immediately after, and while it has some very similar themes (doing something you're good at because of familial pressure, or because you think you're obligated to because you're good at it; loss of family members and the grieving process that follows; problematic love stories and relationships that aren't 100% honest), it handles those themes with a lot more delicacy and skill.

Edit: I just remembered we have spoiler tags. XD;

Spoilers of what I felt about Your Lie in April:

Spoiler
The main thing I hated was that she decided to make her "legacy" a relationship with someone who didn't know she was dying. That, being the entire plot of the show, made me really angry. Among other things. It was a very clumsy telling, to me.

The lie wasn't some small thing like was implied to me when my friend recommended it (seriously, she made it sound like a mistaken identity or something). Living to enjoy your last days to their fullest is fine, but knowing that you're dying, and intentionally seeking someone out to attach to so that they will feel the pain of your death and never forget it, is a terrible, horrible, selfish thing to do. Even more-so when it's clear that that person has some sort of trauma that they're still recovering from in their recent past. To make a small-scale comparison, it's like the idea of rubbing lemon juice into a paper-cut, knowing that the lemon is half-rotten and will likely cause sepsis.

So I didn't find their relationship romantic as a result of that, but rather saw it as an emotionally abusive counter-point to the situation with Kousei's mum's physical and verbal abuse.

I didn't find his reaction to her admission that she was ill unrealistic (his desire not to visit her, his feelings of awkwardness seeing her in hospital), but I did find his recovery and acceptance of her lie to be rather premature and unrealistic given how much she'd brow-beat him into joining her on the stage. I also hated that Tsubaki knew about the abuse, but still thought that pushing him at Kaori and the piano was a good idea.

If she had confessed the whole situation to him on the roof before his final concert and her surgery, I might've been okay with the show in the end, because she at least owned up to what she had been doing all along, and decided to take responsibility for it. But she didn't, and continued to leave him with what she knew was false hope. As such, I found the vision he had of her during the concert to be in poor taste, and the letter that she gave him to be a cowardly thing to do. She didn't take responsibility for what happened between them. She didn't give him the closure he deserved, and never got from his mother's death and abuse. It was clumsy, as a story, and undignified.

I actually hadn't though about it that way before, but I can see what you mean. I think Kaori's "lie in April"

Spoiler
. . . was that she liked Ryota instead of Kousei (or so Wikipedia tells me; maybe it's up to interpretation?), not that she was hiding her sickness. So maybe that helps make her more likeable? At times I found her overbearing and I actually ship Tsubaki with Kousei -- they seem more compatible -- but I think that Kaori, though lying about who she liked, was just trying to get a chance to play with Kousei accompanying her (I'm not sure she knew she was definitely going to die?). At any rate, though, I wouldn't appreciate it if someone I was close to didn't tell me they were going through a life-threatening illness; that's not a bomb you want to drop on anyone (though it seems common in Japanese manga and anime. Maybe it's part of the "I'll do my best, don't trouble anyone" mentality?).

I think it's okay that Tsubaki and Ryota were trying to push Kousei back into playing piano since, as his childhood friends, they had seen him loving piano, playing it for years, and then suddenly quitting it; they probably know how much he loved piano and that his reasons for quitting weren't healthy. He finally regains his ability to hear the notes and enjoy piano again in the end, so that's all good. I never thought about Kaori pushing him into it selfishly, but that argument could be made for sure.

I think he did know during his final concert that she was going through that life-threatening surgery, which is why he saw her vanishing and then he cried. :( I don't like her final letter to him, though, because there she says that she's loved him since she was five and has kind of been stalking him. I would rather she had met him for the first time in middle school. I still like her character, but as you said, I can't argue that she's not selfish in some ways. I'd call her a manic pixie dream girl trope, with some added character complexity. In many ways she's in the story solely to spur the plot and Kousei's character development on, come to think of it.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 06, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »

Ponyfan

You'll like it, its got the Studio Ghibli charm of mixing the everyday with the enchanting. As well as a gorgeous soundtrack.  Its based off The Borrowers.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 06, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks Leave a Whisper. :) I did enjoy it although the ending was a little sad.

Ponyfan

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
Thanks Leave a Whisper. :) I did enjoy it although the ending was a little sad.

Ponyfan

Yeah.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 06, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
I'm trying out Beezlebub. It's weird and kinda funny.
I like the bickering between the characters.

I like that one too. I watch and episode or two every now and then.

Currently I am watching Elegant Yokai apartment life and Saiyuki reload blast on crunchyroll. Its been so long since I watched Saiyuki that I forgot what the hell is going on. wasn't that one from the 90's?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal