collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 203477 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2019, 06:16:03 AM »
My VPN was actually staying connected so I binged Bakumatsu (currently on crunchyroll) - finished all 14 current episodes in 2 nights.
Its not the greatest story ever written and its kinda by the book in a way but I find it entertaining. I was surprised to find that its based off a romance phone game because the anime is all action/adventure.

It is very loosly based on historical events as the main characters are constantly squaring off with the shinshingumi, trying to stop the new leader who is bent on japan taking over the world.

Takasugi Shinsaku, a soldier of fortune from Choshu, sneaks aboard a government ship with his comrade Katsura Kogorou in search of a mysterious "timepiece" with the power to manipulate time that he fears the government wishes to keep for themselves. Rather than allow such power to fall into the wrong hands, Takasugi plans to destroy the artifact, but having obtained it, the artifact is quickly stolen, forcing the pair to follow the mysterious thief to the seat of government in Kyoto. However, when they arrive in the capital, they discover that the government has been overthrown and the deity Susanoo now reigns in its place. The streets of the city and the people in them are much different than Takasugi and Katsura remembered. The times may have changed but their mission hasn't - Takasugi and Katsura resolve to reset time and save their nation from the nefarious forces trying to hijack it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #406 on: April 16, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
I saw the first episode of that.

I'm afraid the moment that Sanada Yukimura appeared in Bakumatsu Japan though, I turned it off ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »
I watched the 2nd episode of the new Fruits Basket

Spoiler
Taffeta, I see what you mean about  opening tittles. That one scene where Yuki and Kyo are waiting for  Tohru  does make it seem like Kyo and Yuki will be competing for her affections.

In this episode Yuki said Shigure’s name with 3 syllables In the English dub Tohru has only referred to Yuki as Sohma instead of Yuki but calls Kyo Kyo instead of Sohma

I noticed that when Tohru tried to stop Kyo and Yuki from fighting at school and Kyo transformed there’s a shot of Kyo’s bracelet on the ground. I don’t remember the original anime showing what happens to his bracelet when he transforms in to a cat. I’m assuming that as long as he wears the bracelet at the time he transforms even if it falls off during the transformation he won’t turn in to his true form?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 17, 2019, 01:06:08 AM »
Re Furuba 2:

Spoiler
I thought the same about the bracelet! I was immediately like ARGH PUT THAT BACK ON NOW XD. And I also had the same wondering about whether it is needed when he is a cat or not, because I would;ve thought it was...

It's possible with the opening titles and also the ending ones, that the animators for it didn't have all the data but yeah. Yuki's bond with Tooru is not the same as Kyou's.

I also don't think Rin is in the titles though I am guessing we'll get new titles for the second half if this is "first season" and hopefully Machi will also be included then as well...and her brother, whose name I forget. Kakeru? I think Ayame is still only a silhouette in the opening titles at this point too?

In the Japanese dub, Tooru starts of with calling Yuki "Sohma-kun" as she would a generic male classmate. She begins with calling Kyou "Kyou-san" but then he gets antsy about it and tells her not to be so formal so she ends up calling him Kyou-kun". That's probably why the English is that way although it seems a bit odd to go halfway in the English and not explain it.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2019, 04:18:54 AM »
Funimation is so going downhill now because a lot of people are leaving that community, plus they have been slapped with a lawsuit by Vic Mignogna for a serious misconduct.

I’m sticking with subs for a while till this blows over.

Attack on Titan Season Three part two here I come.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
Funimation is so going downhill now because a lot of people are leaving that community, plus they have been slapped with a lawsuit by Vic Mignogna for a serious misconduct.

I’m sticking with subs for a while till this blows over.

Attack on Titan Season Three part two here I come.

I only watch anime on Funimation that have a Japanese version. I ignore anything that is dubbed. I know that's their selling point, but its not for me. I prefer CR except their habit of taking down stuff without warning. Some stuff has moved from CR to Funimation, even though their partnership ended, otherwise I'd have cancelled the Funimation sub by now...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2019, 07:04:24 AM »
Re Furuba 2:

Spoiler
I thought the same about the bracelet! I was immediately like ARGH PUT THAT BACK ON NOW XD. And I also had the same wondering about whether it is needed when he is a cat or not, because I would;ve thought it was...

It's possible with the opening titles and also the ending ones, that the animators for it didn't have all the data but yeah. Yuki's bond with Tooru is not the same as Kyou's.

I also don't think Rin is in the titles though I am guessing we'll get new titles for the second half if this is "first season" and hopefully Machi will also be included then as well...and her brother, whose name I forget. Kakeru? I think Ayame is still only a silhouette in the opening titles at this point too?

In the Japanese dub, Tooru starts of with calling Yuki "Sohma-kun" as she would a generic male classmate. She begins with calling Kyou "Kyou-san" but then he gets antsy about it and tells her not to be so formal so she ends up calling him Kyou-kun". That's probably why the English is that way although it seems a bit odd to go halfway in the English and not explain it.

Spoiler

I was almost expecting Kyo's true form to be revealed right then since he wasn't wearing the bracelet. Maybe it's supposed to be foreshadowing about how important the bracelet is?

It makes more sense now why Tohru calls Yuki "Sohma"  :) I feel that detail is not explained well in the English dub yet so it seems a little strange to hear her addressing Kyo differently than Yuki and also made me wonder if she will address all of the other males that are the same age or older than she is as "Sohma" 

I saw Ayame in the ending titles, but didn't notice him in the opening ones (but I might have missed him)

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 20, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
I picked up Mirai today.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »
Has the 3rd episode of the new Fruits Basket anime been posted yet?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2019, 01:31:54 PM »
Has the 3rd episode of the new Fruits Basket anime been posted yet?

Ponyfan

Yes, it has :D

Spoiler
I need to rewatch it in a more focused state, but it covers some of the nice character stuff with Yuki and Kyou which I love.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »
It looks like I'll have to wait awhile or sign up for a new streaming service to keep watching the new Fruits Basket anime. The videos that were on YouTube have been taken down and there's still no sign of it appearing on Hulu (although it still could since April has a few more days left.) Is it free to watch on Funimation?

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2019, 03:36:07 PM »
I suspect that it is premium but my UK sub may be different. I can't see on my acct which things are or not and I am watching on CR anyway. (It is premium there but it goes to not premium when the next ep happens...however that is in Japanese with sub. .
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2019, 06:41:38 AM »
I'm afraid the moment that Sanada Yukimura appeared in Bakumatsu Japan though, I turned it off
Was he the general type samauri dude on the horse?

That show has such low rating on crunchyroll, but I enjoy it. It's different from other shows with the shinshingumi.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2019, 07:07:54 AM »
I'm afraid the moment that Sanada Yukimura appeared in Bakumatsu Japan though, I turned it off
Was he the general type samauri dude on the horse?

That show has such low rating on crunchyroll, but I enjoy it. It's different from other shows with the shinshingumi.

I had to teach the real bakumatsu this year, so yeah, my historical gene twitched.

Sanada's a guy in red armour, he probably had a six disc banner somewhere, but his red armour is really famous. The issue I have with it is that he died in around 1615. Which is quite a long time before the Bakumatsu.

There are things messing around with Japanese history or history in general that I find really clever or interesting or original. And then there's just taking a guy who's famous in the Sengoku era and shoving him in the Bakumatsu.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 29, 2019, 07:42:07 AM »
I had to teach the real bakumatsu this year, so yeah, my historical gene twitched.

Sanada's a guy in red armour, he probably had a six disc banner somewhere, but his red armour is really famous. The issue I have with it is that he died in around 1615. Which is quite a long time before the Bakumatsu.

There are things messing around with Japanese history or history in general that I find really clever or interesting or original. And then there's just taking a guy who's famous in the Sengoku era and shoving him in the Bakumatsu.

There are several historical generals/samauri/whatever that appear as the 12 commanders of susanoo, all from different times. Since the watch has the power to mess with time, I assume it is also the reason why there are other characters from totally different times in the story. So for me, the story works.

The 2nd season is odd. The original master of the watch is killed and the watch was destroyed by Takasugi BUT it is now a sentient being and Hijikata is the new ruler of the alternate world (but nobody is aware of this yet).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal