collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Noodle the ferret  (Read 742 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Noodle the ferret
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:25:31 PM »
I've been chatting with a woman on Facebook that I got my new rat boys from.  Ferrets came up in conversation a while back and she mentioned having one that needed a home as she couldn't keep him. She had rescued several rats and the ferret from a neglectful home but couldn't cover the medical bills he would need. Me being me curious about ferrets and wanting to help an animal in need took him in.

I've been reading so many articles since usually I research for months before getting one. He isn't in the best shape and is about five. He has fleas so trying to be gentle with him as he is very vey skinny. He is eating a good bit though. He has trouble with his back legs and my breeder friend said his previous neglectful owner said they were both broken at some point. He seems to hate the other animals and sort of wants to just be left alone. He has been tolerant of me though and taking him to the vet this week to see if he can be helped or if there are other issues at okay here other than just malnutrition.

Is it weird despite him being cranky and a turd I adore him already?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:16:14 PM by Maddie »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Ferret Beuller
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »
Poor thing--hopefully you can eventually get him back to normal <3

Your vet will be a plethora of information and should be your rock and go to. 

Goodluck <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »
Ferrets are fun. My BFF has had a few over the past few years. She's always very attentive to them. It's hilarious when they're out exploring. I hope you can help him get on the mend.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
Awww, he's so cute! :heart: I've never seen anyone with a ferret outside of the Arena, but they seem like such cool animals. I hope your vet can advise you on a course of action that will make him fully comfy and flea free.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:15:09 AM »
I know we've been talking a bit through Facebook, and I swear your ferret reminds me of Maximus (my ferret that recently passed as you know). We called him "Old Man Maximus" because, despite being pleasant and chill about everything, he just had these cranky old man vibes when it came to certain things, and apparently he also wasn't a fan of other ferrets/animals. :lol:

Don't be surprised if you end up with more ferrets. Trust me, it's gonna happen. ;)
Instagram / Want List

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Name change: Noodle the ferret
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »
I keep calling him a sneaky noodle so now he is noodle. He may not just adore people but now follows me from room to room, not like wanting to come up to me but just hanging around. I got him to dook today petting him and had no idea what it was! I had to look it up.

The vet said he had a. As ear infection and have him meds and then some kitten revolution for fleas. He goes back in two weeks to be checked again and get his vaccinations as the vet was afraid he was too weak to have everything st once. Is it awful I've fallen in love with the cranky fuzz butt? I feel like I'll end up with many a ferret eventually.  :lol:

Formerly Maddie

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:36:30 PM »
Cat snake!!

He's very cute. Glad he has a good home and will be feeling better soon!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
It hurts my heart to hear how bad he was treated. I'm so glad your Noodle Ninja has what he deserves, a good loving home and family.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »
OMG what a CUTIE PIE! *grabs and kisses poor doodle* Im happy he is in a good place now!!!! Give him lots of love and hopefully you read my post about the appropriate way to feed your ferret! If you are ever in NE Texas lets have a ferret playdate party!  :P

Omg and we have a saying on this ferret forum im on, "Ferrets are like potato chips-you cant have just one!" and its try! I want a third sooooo badly but I must resist as im really busy with Miku and shows. Plus Yuki is a little handful running around everywhere!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:56:58 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:33:00 AM »
Although he may act like a cranky little fur snake, I'm sure he's secretly happy that he's out of that situation now!

(Tsundere Ferret??)

Love his name BTW. Did he already have it or did you give it to him?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 04:49:57 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I wanted a fun pun so I made it but he ended up just being Noodle. I set up a DCN for him last night and need to finish sewing hammocks and stuff, right now he has some blankets I made, cat beds and liners. I put litter bixes, bed, food and water on both levels since he has trouble climbing I thought it would be easier in case he got tired. I'm still happy that he will follow me sometimes and on the rare occasion I can get him to dook for me. We are going to try an oatmeal soak this weekend because he is itchy, but I haven't found fleas. He has had me scratch him and he kicks like a dog! Lol

Lol thanks Lala! Right now he is eating 4 Health Grain free cat food and it isn't awful but needs more protein. I was looking at that food chart and trying to find a good one within my budget. I might do a mix with wellness core since it's high in the chart and seems affordable. I could mix it with what he has to give him variety after he is used to it.

I've already been staring at other babies at the pet store, and someone locally has two boys with a DCN uo for sale. I want to take them all in! I'm going to focus on Noodle first and him getting better then maybe some friends for him once he puts on some weight and strengthens he back legs.

A play day would be awesome! I do roam about Texas some. Hopefully by then I'll have some brothers/sisters for Noodle. I don't know if he has ever been with another ferret so might be odd introduced to new ones later on.

Formerly Maddie

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:30:18 AM »
Wellness core isnt actually too a bad food choice for ferrets-especially the kitten one that has a little bit more protien! If you can find Orijen its suuuuuper awesome kibble and $5 a bag and it lasts my girls a while (I get maybe two bags a paycheck). I pick mine up from a special family owned pet store and sometimes also a farmer market. There was this amazing website that sold those $5 bags free shipping.....i cant remember it but if I see an ad for it I will PM you! Id also let him try some meat! I had to let mine get used to meat at first. Always when I make steaks before I even marinate them I cut off the fatty sides and chop them up for my ferrets as fun snacks!  :biggrin:

And OMG that cage looks GREAT! LOTS of levels in his home for places to play and sleep! THAT is a good ferret cage and super kudos to you for not using bedding and using blankets!!!!! I also love the dual litter pans, hopefully he is already pottey trained and if not keep rewarding him with treats (or a piece of kibble works too lol) every time he goes potty in the litter box! OMG im sooo happy you got an amazing cage. IMO thats the optimal size for a single ferret, no smaller. I see people using those tiny plastic Kaytee cages for gerbils/rats and it breaks my heart. You did very good and im proud!!!!

With the scratching could be a variety of things- if it was fleas youd definetly see them by now and around the face and ears. Hopefuly he doesnt have any fleas, kind of an off season anyways! A ferrets skin is sentistive, his skin could just be dry and their natural oils will fix that problem as long as they arent bathed a lot or kept inside during "dry" colder weather. Both mine are scratching a lot right now because their winter coats+fleece blankies are making them staticy- if he has his winter coat in that could be a factor too! It took me a while to figure out why mine were randomly scratching and shaking a lot on their blankies (like how a dog shakes water off its fur at like a million miles a second, not like "im cold or scared" shaking).

I think its cute when ferrets follow you omg!  :P Miku hops around so happy and "dooks" when she is roaming free. She trails behind me everywhere at home!

You are going to be an amazing ferret mommy already!!!! Congrats on him, such a cute little guy! ;)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:43:45 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Noodle the ferret
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:08:45 PM »
Well I bought Wellness Core and fed him some but have been slinking about the ferret groups on Facebook and saw people mentioning issues with their being small amounts of peas in there later causing issues, so now I've been worried about it. I ended up diving in and ordering some Wysong, so I'm going to gradually mix and wean him from the old food. I've seen lots of people suggest Orijen as well and I was wanting to get some later for my mix after he transitions to Wysing.  I have to know though where you find it cheaper? Online I keep seeing it for like $25 a bag and haven't found it in a store. I've been talking to a rescue ferret lady some and I'm half on the idea of eventually going at least somewhat raw with him. First I want to get the kibbles settled out because I don't eat much meat, and I'll have to mentally prep myself for handling anything raw. If I could do the Kibble and them some raw maybe that would work. I had thought about joining that holistic ferret forum but haven't done it just yet since I'm still figuring things out.

I love DCN cages!  They also make a ferret version which is the same dimensions but bars going further apart. I've had rats for ages and used to have several DCN cages but only had one left and I have seven boy rats in it.  I know comfortably they hold about eight male rats so figured ferret wise it would be enough room for him.  He usually stays on one level and hasn't tried out my hammocks yet. I'll make cubes and other things to entice him. He came to me in one of the small kaytee cages and honestly it's smaller than I would even put a few rats let alone a ferret. He seems to like this one better but gives me the stink eye when I put him up because now he climbs in my bed to sleep.  :lol:

He is potty trained but when he feels like it if that makes sense. If the box gets like two poops in it while I'm gone at work he is going to poop in the corners and hates pee pads. When free roaming I've discovered he likes to potty behind my toilet. How weird right?

I'm actually working on setting up a bedroom just for him so he can be out during the day while I'm gone and then at night go in my bedroom. I'll just have to make some modifications to block the door. I do plan to get some more in the future and keep eyeing pretty babies but right now his vet bills are too high to even attempt another. I also worry how introductions will go since he is five and I think has always been alone. He hates all my other pets and chases him and bites the crap out of them.

I'm not 100% sure of course but think he might be a Wardey ferret. I've noticed he cannot really hear and some of the symptoms that I've seen are accurate about him. I've watched videos as well since it says some walk odd and it's the same hair he has and odd balance in his legs. I guess his lack of hearing explains the fact he makes like no sounds. It doesn't make me love him any less of course, but he is for sure an odd one.

Well I know he has had fleas and did have them when I picked him up. The vet treated him with a partial dose of kitten revolution and I'm supposed to give another small portion tomorrow. In his weakened state he didn't want to do too much at once. I'm hoping all these changes will help him.  He sounds are weird kinda like a dying chicken.

Do you have pictures of your pretty babies?

Noodle taking over my bed

Stink eye when I make him go to his bed

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal