collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dye question. Help needed!  (Read 544 times)

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
Dye question. Help needed!
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:58 AM »
Hello all!

I need some advice.  :blush:

I'm working on a new project and I'm having some doubts about what dye to use.
I want to dye a white pony in to a yellow similar to Tic-Tac-Toe. But I don't know what brand and color would be better.

I've been looking at Rit Dye More and Jacquard iDye Poly, but I don't know if the regular yellow would do, or if I need to mix colors to get the right shade.

Any tips any of you can give me? Any guide I can use? I'm new in this dye technique and I'm a bit worried it will be a mess. :p

Thanks for your help!

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
Re: Dye question. Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »
You are probably going to have trouble from the start trying to dye a white pony; if I'm not mistaken, they take dye unevenly. Better to begin with a very light yellow bait or similar. When I used to dye ponies, I preferred powdered RIT and went by Creampuf's tutorial, but...sigh, it looks like that tutorial's not available anymore. :huh:

Anyway, basics; I can provide more details if you need them. I believe RIT has color charts online if you're looking to achieve a very specific color blend. Separate the body from the head and get the pony as clean as you can (glue/stray marks may not take the dye, which will leave residual splotches.) You want two saucepans of near-boiling water, one for the actual dyeing and one for clean water to plunk the pony into at intervals during the process, to keep her hot and help the dye take better to the plastic. Add a pinch of salt to each pan to help prevent them from boiling over; an even simmer is ideal. And yes, it is messy! Wear gloves and keep old newspaper on surfaces where splashes may occur (just not too close to the flames if you've got a gas stovetop.)

If your bait happens to be a G4, know that the head will dye more slowly than the body and will need more time in the dye.

Add your dye powder to the dye pan and stir so it dissolves completely. Have some tongs or other instrument on hand. Once you've got both pans simmering, submerge the pony's head and body in the dye (separately but at the same time) and keep her moving around under the water for a short time. Take her out, rinse her off, and check for any glue/spots you didn't notice before that aren't taking the dye. Get rid of any of those, then plunk her back in. Alternating between the dye pan and the clean water pan will help you monitor the progress of the dye job while getting a slow, even color that's less likely to bleed later.

Once the bait's dyed to your satisfaction, submerge one more time in the clean water pan, then rinse off thoroughly. Most tutorials I've seen recommend a bath of water and white vinegar afterward (to help prevent fading, I believe? It's been awhile, sorry.) For that part, I added a few splashes of vinegar to a bowl of room-temp water, submerged the pony, and let her soak for 15-20 min.

Remember that any dyed pony needs special treatment. To avoid bleed-through into paintwork you add, the bait should ideally sit for several months (yes, MONTHS) before paint is added, and some customizers even recommend a protective sealant layer between the dyed body and the painted symbols. To prevent fading, the pony should be kept away from direct sunlight for the rest of its vampiric little life.

Hope this helps.  :cool:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 03:32:07 PM by Thrice »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:58:39 PM »
I made several G4 Red Roses out of Raritys and they dyed alright.  I tended to use a darker/more orange yellow to make sure it got dark enough to account for a bit of fading, then I dunked the pony in a vinegar bath to help set the dye, and then I hid them away in darkness for a while.  Anything I didn't seal well had yellow seep into it, and make sure you COVER THE EYES if you don't remove them, as G4 eyes will take dye.  I used liquid frisket. 

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Cool! I was going to ask for that since I have a majesty baity that could apply for a dying test, I was thinking of dying her yellow, and make a yello unicorn. Of course if she could be as yellow as Masquerade it would be awesome. But I think it is too much to ask.
Rit dye is from the USA I think. Is there something more generic in Europe?
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline Khayman81

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 02:15:56 AM »
I would like to relaunch this post: I am thinking of dying a yellow pony into something darker, maybe I should try black dye, knowing it will never be that dark. What colors do you recommend on a yellow pony like Magic Star? Thanx guys
My wish list
My sales

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:18:10 AM »
Just dropping in to recommend Rit, as not every dye works on pony plastic. :)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »
I would like to relaunch this post: I am thinking of dying a yellow pony into something darker, maybe I should try black dye, knowing it will never be that dark. What colors do you recommend on a yellow pony like Magic Star? Thanx guys

You'd only get a dark purple color, never a true black. 

Offline Khayman81

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
I will try yellow on a white pony and something darker on another one. I got a brown gusty that looks just amazing now.
Sooo yellow unicorn and another pony for dying after. Brown or black.
My wish list
My sales

Offline Khayman81

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:57:34 AM »
I read and read all the tutorials about dying, now my question is: I 've got the dye, the ponies and what do I do afterwards?
I mean the paint goes where? Sink? WC?
I suppose I don't need to use all the liquid dye once, I suppose I can keep some for later on.
And for a red  pony? To obtain a red one, what color should have the pony to begin with?
My wish list
My sales

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »
Skeen, what is liquid frisket?

thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal