collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice needed regarding silicone mold (not custom related)  (Read 1561 times)

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Advice needed regarding silicone mold (not custom related)
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:57:29 AM »
I purchased a few silicone molds so I could make some Christmas ornaments and I'm not sure what I can put in them to make the mold/cast it. I've tried googling for answers but I'm either wording it wrong or I'm just completely lost on what they are talking about in various articles.

I know I can melt crayons, candle wax and soap... but I'm really looking for more long term options. These molds have very fine details so I'm definitely wanting something that will capture them as best as possible.

Open to any and all suggestions... the only thing I have ever used before is sculpey clay bricks and I cant get it soft enough to capture the details.

Thanks in advance :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed regarding silicone mold (not custom related)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:29:04 AM »
Most silicone moulds are designed for two part epoxy resin, which you mix and then pour.  There's some definite technique to it especially since you likely don't have a vacuum chamber, and it can be quite smelly, potentially messy and expensive but with very eye catching results.  Plaster of paris might do the trick as well but can be heavy and fragile, or paper pulp mixed with glue if the finished piece is hollow/shallow.  Depends on the mould design really.  Maybe one of the softer air dry clays like Crayola Model Magic? 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 04:43:20 AM »
Polymer clay is excellent for silicone molds and this is a great tutorial. If you're buying it from a craft store its probably just been sitting there for years. You best bet is to order online from a reputable dealer so you'll get fresh clay. I've never ordered from either one, but I've seen Shades of Clay and Polymer Clay Canada recommended by reputable sources.

Don't waste your money on Sculpey III because its very brittle and not a good choice for something like ornaments. I would recommend Premo. As long as you bake it correctly it'll be quite strong.

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
I have seen a newish product that you melt in a hot glue gun and mold.  The resulting shapes are flexible, but it captures nice detail.  I have heard that you can use plain hot glue as well for translucent items.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:43:12 PM »
I have seen a newish product that you melt in a hot glue gun and mold.  The resulting shapes are flexible, but it captures nice detail.  I have heard that you can use plain hot glue as well for translucent items.
I've seen a vid where someone simply used a hot glue gun to make molds out of some trinkets
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
I've seen a vid where someone simply used a hot glue gun to make molds out of some trinkets

That's really clever, I never would have considered hot glue! :O They also make hot glue sticks that are glittery, and in different colors, too! I bet those would be awesome! ^_^

I've just bought some silicone to make my own mold, so I am with you in the whole 'newbie trying to figure this out' thing! I started out with a resin by a company called "Little Windows" (which is online!), and it's primarily a "doming resin", which means you pour it onto images to make buttons or raised pendants, etc. I'm not sure it would be the right item for you with your molds, but I found the process with their resin very easy and good for beginners. It's a low-smell resin, supposedly you can use it inside it's so safe! (I haven't tried it myself, since resin is still resin, and I wanna play it safe with my lungs!) It was very nice for me to work with, personally, and a very good start for a newbie with resin! :) You don't need a respirator or anything, which you do with some other resins! 

Another item that might benefit you, if you're looking into clay, is something called "Mod Podge Collage Clay", which I found at Michael's! It's basically the American answer to the Japanese "decoden" craft frosting, but one of the intended uses for this stuff is to be poured into molds, then painted! It's lightweight and fluffy, so it might not get all of the definition you're looking for, but it's worth a look? It's only $10, and Michael's has 50% off coupons all the time, and it's pretty easy to work with!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal