collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fan made reproduction  (Read 1327 times)

Offline yurika

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Fan made reproduction
« on: November 13, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
Hi guys, if someone can help me? I want do some ponis reproductions for make some customs (don't want use a bait)
But i dont know where to start...so far i only know how to do a silicon mold....But i don't have any idea to what material or plastic use

Someone can help me or just guide me with some tips?
Thanks all
Xoxo

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Fan made reproduction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:55:33 AM »
You could cast ponies in resin. I've seen a few artists do that and there are some cool effects you can achieve with transparencies and glitter. Polymer clay could work too but it would be expensive unless you could figure out a way to keep the pony hollow or have a foil/wire armature inside of it. Then again I don't know how expensive resin is! For all I know the costs could be comparable.

Oh! Maybe cold porcelain? I don't know if you can use it with molds but it doesn't hurt to look into it :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:03:59 PM by Taxel »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:17:27 AM »
Oh! That's exactly what I want to do, too, except I want to make a bunch of all white g1 repros with white manes as mannequins for my pony wear collection x'D I've been thinking resin, but have no clue on how to go about either a mold or casting it, especially not how to make holes for mane and tail. I'll be following this thread!

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline yurika

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 04:36:02 PM »
I heard about liquid vinyl or liquid plastic ...works like resin but cant find those products in my country
The mold its easy to make with silicone but my main problem its that i need some kind of could plastic...maybe ill try with resin
Thanks for answer :)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 07:01:55 PM »
Resin can be kind of pricey and isn't fool proof.. you have to take in account for air bubbles and such..
Polymer clay could work if you can keep the seams from fouling up (and yes you could fill the negative area with foil or another oven safe material)
Air dry clay really won't work (like cold porcelain). Again you'd have to figure out how to keep the seams from mucking up plus you have to figure out how to take it out to dry the clay.
Apoxie would work about as much as polymer clay.

I've taken nearly all those routes except the polymer clay route XD

You said something about liquid vinyl?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 02:03:13 AM »
Polymer clay can be sanded and filled in so as long as you can get the seams mostly together it would be fine even if they're super messy or have small gaps or whatever.

Oh! I just thought of something! You could do an oven safe silicone mold in two halves and carefully fill each side with polymer clay, maybe add an armature inside. Once the two sides bake you could join them. This is a great article that covers different ways of gluing things to polymer clay. For this idea the section "Glue Polymer Clay to Polymer Clay" would be most helpful.

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:00:18 AM »
Polymer clay can be sanded and filled in so as long as you can get the seams mostly together it would be fine even if they're super messy or have small gaps or whatever.

Oh! I just thought of something! You could do an oven safe silicone mold in two halves and carefully fill each side with polymer clay, maybe add an armature inside. Once the two sides bake you could join them. This is a great article that covers different ways of gluing things to polymer clay. For this idea the section "Glue Polymer Clay to Polymer Clay" would be most helpful.

I like this idea! Thanks for the link :D still unsure about how to get the hair plugs though, that's gonna require some thought... unless you drilled in it. But polymer clay I would assume is a bit too hard and would risk cracking, wouldn't it?

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:02 AM »
I'm glad its helpful, Shaiyeh! And actually, polymer clay can take a lot of abuse as long as you use a good brand and bake properly! :D It can be drilled, sanded, painted, carved, all kinds of things. Some brands can even withstand hammer whacks or being run over by a car.

BBT is a really great resource for everything polymer clay, but this would probably be a good place to start! Cernit, Premo, or Fimo Professional would be the best options in my opinion but don't be afraid to try a few brands to see which you like best.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
Let me know how well the polymer clay ones turn out :) Especially with the body of the pony!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal