collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me your restorations!!  (Read 10502 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your restorations!!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »
You people are miracle workers! They all look amazing! :O
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Strandperle

• Trade Count: (+53)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Emerald Isle Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Wow! She looks so wonderful now!
What did you use to cover the eyes and symbols?
Thanks to Lina for my avatar!
~My collection & sales homepage~

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

And how long do you leave them in the sun?

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
@Breyer600 -- I love your restorations of Peppermint Crunch and Love Melody! You've really given them a new lease on life, wow. Awesome thread!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2016, 01:07:15 PM »
These are all very impressive!

I have to ask, what do you guys use to defrizz besides conditioner? I heard fabric softener works but I want to make sure it's safe. I have a Happyglow who is in very good shape besides the fact that she has horrifically frizzy hair. I almost thought about buying a new one but and selling her eventually but I'd like to try to save her first.

Literally conditioner and a straightener. Very very small sections, hair needs to have quite a bit of conditioner in it. Run the iron through FAST. If it needs more than one pass with the iron, make sure it's still nice and wet with conditioner. That's how I do it :) I never tried fabric softener. ^^'

Thanks for the tip!

Wow, I'm scared to use a hair straightener on my own hair, let alone a pony's hair. I only paid $5 for Happyglow so if I ruin her, it's not like a huge loss. I do have a very high-end straightener on hand, though. I could try it when I feel brave. Happyglow is one of my favorite ponies and I want her to look pretty again.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
NICE!!!  Can I use these photos on my website?  I need to add info about using paint.  I didn't realize you could do it over glitter symbols.

Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »
Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

Pokeyonekenkbie - that is acrylic paint! Now they do recommend you don't use acrylic paint over glitter symbols but as you can see I had no problems with it!!! She was in full summer sun up here in Canada for about a month.

Post Merge: November 23, 2016, 04:18:06 PM

NICE!!!  Can I use these photos on my website?  I need to add info about using paint.  I didn't realize you could do it over glitter symbols.

Yes of course, I would be honoured! You may want to use a proceed with caution - I had read the paint over glitter and clearly I had no problems with it, however it may have been the type I used. The brand I used is Crafter's Choice brand from Dollarama here in Canada - if say it was more liquidy than a lot of acrylic paint!!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 04:18:06 PM by SpookyTrees »
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 06:17:01 PM »
That Gusty restoration is amazing :dropjaw:

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Chakatai

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2016, 03:14:56 AM »
I'm only just starting out so none of my restorations are all that dramatic, but I thought I'd share anyway, given how much I love before-after shots from everybody else. :heart:

So, first, my weird Play-Time. The pink splotch appears to be dye and while I don't believe there is a way to remove it in the first place, even if there was, I don't think I'd go for it - I really like the character it gives her, and it was the main reason I bid for her to begin with. Regardless, she'll never be "fully recovered" again thanks to it, so we'll have her first. As in the top picture, I found her tail while washing her... from inside her? It was in a rather terrible condition, but hey, a tail is much better than no tail at all.

I've fixed the tail frizz since, but for some reason... the frizz pictures look cuter, so you'll just have to trust me on this one.

Next up, a Pony Bride with a coat of dirt, impact marks of some sort - crayons or objects, I'll never know, tangled dry hair and a moderate rust catastrophe inside her. I had to remove her head to get rid of the rusted parts inside, and I thought it was just a matter of taking out the old glue, since someone had clearly glued the seam as there's glue all over it... only to find out that the neck was completely intact. Why it had, and still has, glue all over it remains a mystery to me.

Finally, Tickle; I already showed this in my introduction, but since it really belongs here... She's the first pony I've bought who required a little more than TLC, and to be fair, I was shaking through most of what I did to her, since I've really done none of it before. Sanding, painting, rehairing... brr.

This one's been through some gnawing - I left her hooves mostly intact, just took off the rough edges of the cuts, but her mouth and ear have been through some heavy sandpapering to fix the damage done. It doesn't really show in the seller's photos, but the tip of her ear was badly flattened/fanning out and shapeless, and the other side of her lip stuck right out with the cuts going really deep in - they were a pain to even out without completely sanding out half of her entire mouth, which is why there's a sort of a wavey line visible now, I just didn't want to go too deep if I could avoid it to keep the shape of the lip as intact as possible. I'm planning on getting some very fine sandpaper later to smooth out the detail, the scratches and the overall shape of her lip and hoof, but as long as the damage isn't completely disfiguring like it used to be, I'm not too fussed about getting it out entirely. The lip is the only part that could use some Sculpey, but since importing it sounds very expensive, that'll have to wait for now. I can't seem to find it sold locally, much less the softer kind.

Offline Itcheeee

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2016, 04:27:34 PM »
These just amaze me, I love seeing totally bait ponies be restored. they all look beautiful after their restoration :D
Buying any and all Sonic the Hedgehog items of any kind I don't already have. Can also trade ponies of all generations.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
I've been wanting to post this forever, and I thought I'd get it down for photographs when I cleaned up my pony room today.  It's such a pain in the rear to pull things like this down that I decided to just go ahead and post photos of it on display.

Here's my UK Schoolhouse all discolored:

And here it is re-painted.  You can't see it in the photos, but I had fun with the colors.  I didn't just stick with boring pink.  I don't have a printer, so I haven't replaced the stickers, but eventually I will.  If anyone has an extra flash charm goldfish bowl, I'm desperately looking for one to go with this playset.  You can see a few of the replacement accessories I got for it in the photo.  :)

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 04:43:02 PM »
fantastic jobs!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 05:28:14 PM »
This thread is entirely addicting. I love seeing the restoration projects. Especially the rehairs. It really makes the ponies look brand new. I hope more people keep this thread up! I'd love to restore but I just don't think I'd do it right lol

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »

I have to ask, what do you guys use to defrizz besides conditioner? I heard fabric softener works but I want to make sure it's safe. I have a Happyglow who is in very good shape besides the fact that she has horrifically frizzy hair. I almost thought about buying a new one but and selling her eventually but I'd like to try to save her first.

Literally conditioner and a straightener. Very very small sections, hair needs to have quite a bit of conditioner in it. Run the iron through FAST. If it needs more than one pass with the iron, make sure it's still nice and wet with conditioner. That's how I do it :) I never tried fabric softener. ^^'

Thanks for the tip!

Wow, I'm scared to use a hair straightener on my own hair, let alone a pony's hair. I only paid $5 for Happyglow so if I ruin her, it's not like a huge loss. I do have a very high-end straightener on hand, though. I could try it when I feel brave. Happyglow is one of my favorite ponies and I want her to look pretty again.

I have cheap straighteners and the lowest setting is too hot, so I turn it off and on again between passes to get a lower temperature.  It takes forever! But, it is worth it.  I did a Lickety Split and then boil permed her curls back in.  Everything else was just so perfect.  Still about 6 hours of my life I can never have back  :blush:

Post Merge: December 08, 2016, 09:29:15 AM

Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

Pokeyonekenkbie - that is acrylic paint! Now they do recommend you don't use acrylic paint over glitter symbols but as you can see I had no problems with it!!! She was in full summer sun up here in Canada for about a month.

Yes of course, I would be honoured! You may want to use a proceed with caution - I had read the paint over glitter and clearly I had no problems with it, however it may have been the type I used. The brand I used is Crafter's Choice brand from Dollarama here in Canada - if say it was more liquidy than a lot of acrylic paint!!!

I've been wondering about this for a while.  How did you get the paint off again?  Did you have to use hot water?  I can't imagine using my artist's acrylics for this as in the ones I use for customs because it's too hard to get off.  I know from when I make mistakes on customs and have to take it off.  That's a good tip that it's runnier.  Maybe there is something similar in craft stores over here. It can be tricky to find equivalents between countries.  Thanks for sharing!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:29:15 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:02 AM »

Thanks for the tip!

I have cheap straighteners and the lowest setting is too hot, so I turn it off and on again between passes to get a lower temperature.  It takes forever! But, it is worth it.  I did a Lickety Split and then boil permed her curls back in.  Everything else was just so perfect.  Still about 6 hours of my life I can never have back  :blush:

Post Merge: December 08, 2016, 09:29:15 AM

Love threads like this!

Sharpied yellowed Gusty!

I've been wondering about this for a while.  How did you get the paint off again?  Did you have to use hot water?  I can't imagine using my artist's acrylics for this as in the ones I use for customs because it's too hard to get off.  I know from when I make mistakes on customs and have to take it off.  That's a good tip that it's runnier.  Maybe there is something similar in craft stores over here. It can be tricky to find equivalents between countries.  Thanks for sharing!!

I have heard that you can use rubbing alcohol, but heres some more information:

Paint and Sunfading tutorial: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,288994.0.html

Mlppreservationproject:  http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#SunFading

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal