collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Job Hunting Questions  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Re: Job Hunting Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
... even when you want to beat them to death with your stapler.

LOL Have you been hanging around my office without me noticing? HAHA!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
UGH Kiwi, I deserve an Emmy for smiling when internally I am going, "I WILL END YOU."

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
Skeen is right.

Right now, I have an awesome boss but the most horrible coworker. We share an office that's so small, we may as well be metaphorically be sharing a toilet together. It's like a prison cell. And I do work at a prison, so that's fitting.

I'm like you are. I am not a people person. Well, not all the time. Just 50% of the time. I am introverted. I worked in retail for a couple of years. I actually enjoyed cashiering. I hated overnight stocking because not only of management and the coworkers, but the unrealistic expectations and hours.

Have you tried for something like a call center? It's dealing with the public, but not face to face. And some of the calls are hilarious. I didn't mind my call center job too much. It was just too much of a drive and the pay wasn't worth the gas.

Have you also thought of something secretarial? A lot of secretarial positions only require high school diplomas and you work independently in an office. The only problem is, they are kinda hard to get unless you know someone who can get you on. :(   Do you know anyone who works somewhere that can help you get on somewhere?

I am horrible at writing resumes and oftentimes need help, so don't ask me for that one. You got some great advice there already. I interview very well and can give you some great interview advice if you land one.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 02:16:10 PM by DazzleKitty »
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »
Just keep in mind no matter where you work, there will *always* be people you don't like.  They may be your managers, they may be your co-workers.  You still have to be able to smile and be polite to them, even when you want to beat them to death with your stapler.  That's basically what having a job is.

HAHAHAHA Oh Skeen have you been spying on my office?  LOL  oh boy we are a bunch of passive aggressive nutcases. 

It's too hot so we get the janitor to turn up the A/C.  The coworker who complains that it's cold has their window opened.  Then, then cold coworker insists on opening the lobby door "to get some fresh air".  Someone else closes her window and borrows her work keys off her desk when she's away.  Then it's too hot, it's also too cold, the janitor locks our thermostat and the whiny coworker is locked out of her office until one of us lets her back in.  And locks the lobby door behind her.  AND verbally apologizes for all that, because "she's cold".  So we forgive, find her a warm blanket, turn on space heaters....

Director comes in, notes the temperature and sends us all home because it's now a foggy sauna. 

God, adulting.  Sometimes it's just not worth the effort to get out of your PJ's.  Sometimes you just end up coming to work in 'em.  :D 

Edit:  sorry!  back to OP.  here are some links to get you started:
http://www.calgaryunitedway.org/get-involved/volunteer?gclid=CO7EuuHrl9ACFYQxaQodTlYFLg
https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=Fort+Worth%2C+TX%2C+USA

You can take some of these terms and start plugging them into job sites, see what skills are on those resumes and cover letter examples, and start figuring out which of those skills you already have.  :)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:56:52 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
Pet-sitting(for people who don't like kennels) and manual labor jobs like cleaning/freshening empty houses before a realtor shows them to someone are two options that fit those criteria. Also, you could look into a trade job, where you can start from scratch and learn by working. Some moving companies and various delivery drivers might also work.
Not going to school limits your options tremendously, though, not just because you won't have a degree, but also because employers want to see that you're trainable and willing to work. Having a school certification of any sort will help you there. Even being enrolled in evening classes looks better than nothing.
Volunteering on a regular basis is good idea, like some people said--it gives you a valid work history, and if you need references, you'll have them.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal