collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Explain "Elder Scrolls" to me  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Explain "Elder Scrolls" to me
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
I am a sucker for fantasy adventure RPG's, basically where I get to be badass and kill things for days on end (Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age, etc.).  I don't have a gaming PC or an Xbox so I can't play some of the original games but I have a PS3 & PS4.  It looks like I can play Oblivion and Skyrim for sure.  Are they 1st or 3rd person?  I am SO BAD at 1st person games.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
Re: Explain "Elder Scrolls" to me
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm not an expert on the Elder Scrolls series by any means... I've only seriously played Oblivion and it was on my laptop. I've watched a lot of Oblivion and Skyrim gameplay though and from what I can tell the default view is first person but you CAN change the view to third person so you can see your character.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Well that's good, because I totally already ordered Oblivion.  ^^; 

Offline tsukikakushi

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Yes you can switch between both views ;) I found 1st person to be easier myself, and I grew up on 3rd person games. The only problem I've ever had with the newer systems- I get motion sickness if I've not been playing constantly (like 2-3 times a week).

I think you might enjoy Oblivion more- it's not as overwhelming as Skyrim. Though you can put in some serious man hours into either game if you don't just do the story line. There's plenty of extra quests to keep you occupied. :)
Wishlist:http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,350943.new.html#new

Currently looking for FF Minty. Let me know if you have her for sale!  :newpony:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
You can play it either way. It's hard to do decorate or steal things in third person, in my opinion, but you could always switch back and forth.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
Skyrim is the best! I generally play in third person unless I'm stealing or using a bow. But as the others have said it's easy to switch back and forth. The new Special Edition Skyrim looks really gorgeous. I haven't had a chance to play it yet myself since I've been rather busy, but I've been hearing really good things about it.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

Offline Hannah66665

• Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:35:38 PM »
I've never played Skyrim myself... no console that can run it.  :huh: Apparently the new remastered edition is full of bugs though. I kind of want to pop in oblivion now if my laptop will cooperate. XD

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
I've never played Skyrim myself... no console that can run it.  :huh: Apparently the new remastered edition is full of bugs though. I kind of want to pop in oblivion now if my laptop will cooperate. XD

Every game Bethesda has ever put out has a ton of bugs in it. Its just the way Bethesda works, doesn't mean the game isn't playable or anything. (Really most people jus think Bethesda is lazy, they got used to modders fixing a lot of their bugs for them so they don't do it themselves to save time and money.) But if you are worried about bugs wait a bit and I'm sure there will be patches. Skyrim isn't a game to pass up imo. I've played the older version with DLCs on PC and I love it. So much so I was never really about to get into Dragon Age: Origins even though that likes to glare at me from my desktop.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »
Oblivion was the first game I bought for my Xbox 360 years and years ago, and it was the game where I learned to use a two-thumbstick setup on a controller. (I spent a good chunk of the first few hours with the camera upside down. :lol: )

Oblivion (and Skyrim) can be played in 1st or 3rd person. You can also adjust the difficulty using a slider in the options menu so things will be as easy or hard as you want. (I play games for story, so I loved this.) The two quest lines that I remember enjoying most were the Mages Guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

Also agree with the thought that Oblivion is less overwhelming--plus it scales to the player so you can't mess up and go somewhere you shouldn't be.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 11:17:56 AM »
Thanks, ladies!  :D  That is everything I wanted to know, lol!  I'm going to wait on Skyrim so I can get it for PS4 and just download all the available patches at once (and so it's a bit cheaper). 

It's funny you guys said 1st person being easier for a bow - I agree!  I think I was destined to be a sniper because I will happily hide in 1st person mode for however long it takes to get juuuuust enough pixels in range to take out a foe in one shot from a distance.  Bonus points (in my mind) for making a headshot with, like, 6 pixels of head showing.  :D 

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
The Elder Scrolls games taught me to play in first person. I was once an exclusive RPG player who didn't play anything in first person, ever, but when I first played Morrowind I learned first person quickly, since the third person option wasn't very good (they did have the option... it was just hard to control). The games have mostly been getting better as they make new games (though Elder Scrolls Online is different from the regular series in many ways), and I expect the Skyrim remaster to be really good. I've already put almost 1,000 hours into my multiple playthroughs of Skyrim, and I expect to greatly increase that number when the remaster comes out.  :blink:

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 02:46:19 AM »
I so hope you will love the games as much as I do! :) Morrowind got me into serious gaming, and every game since then has added on the wonderfulness that is the Elder Scrolls series. Be sure to check out some lore for these games, you will gain so much insight and have an even nicer gaming experience :) I'd recommend the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (UESP): http://uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page You can browse those pages by categorizing by game, so getting spoilered isn't as easy ;)
Have lots of fun exploring Tamriel! :)

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 06:34:52 AM »
You.  GUYS.   O.o

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD

Like, I promised my boss she could borrow my PS3 when she has surgery next month so she can play games while she recovers, and I think I'ma have to give her my PS4 or something because for serious I am not going to be done killing things in this game. 

Offline Hannah66665

• Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 06:43:23 AM »
You.  GUYS.   O.o

THIS GAME IS SO GOOD

Like, I promised my boss she could borrow my PS3 when she has surgery next month so she can play games while she recovers, and I think I'ma have to give her my PS4 or something because for serious I am not going to be done killing things in this game.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!  :biggrin: My own play style usually consists of pickpocketing every citizen's house keys.  :ninja: I always get too nervous when it comes to battling enemies and turn the difficulty way down though.  :P

Offline Skeen

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 07:08:01 AM »
I think I might dial down the difficulty too, since I really play games for the stories.  It's not hard so far though.  I joined the thieves guild but I felt a tad guilty about it - I was too impatient to wait til the one lady left the house where the diary was so I just took it, she naturally got mad and tried to fight me, I ran for it, and the town guards caught and killed HER.  And then of course I looted her corpse. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal