collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Craigslist advice  (Read 1017 times)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Craigslist advice
« on: November 01, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
I have never used Craigslist before, but today I found some things I really want and they are a great deal.  How should I go about contacting the owner and how should I meet up with them? Is it ok to ask to meet somewhere close to my place? 
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: Craigslist advice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:12:02 PM »
If they left a number try txting them or email. Yes! Ask them to meet in a public location just in case if anything, and, or bring a friend.
I've bought from there before and always did this, hope this helps!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
Just email or text them and express your interest.  :)   As far as where to meet, it depends on the individual seller.  I think it's a little more common for the buyer to try to get close to the seller's residence or workplace than vice versa.  A lot of people meet in Starbucks or places like that.  I have sold large items straight out of my apartment before.

A lot of Craigslist buyers are notoriously flaky, so just keep the lines of communication open as much as possible to show the seller you are serious, and if something comes up where you're going to be late or something, alert the seller ASAP.  Also, ask the seller if they will hold the item for you.  Some sellers will not, they will regard sales as "first come, first serve", as in the first person to actually show up and hand them cash gets the item.  (Again, because so many buyers are flaky.)

Oh, also bring cash.  I have yet to meet a Craigslist seller who would accept Paypal or checks.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:18:49 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
Some sellers will meet, especially for a more expensive item. I have asked them to deliver furniture and added money to my offer or their asking price for the gas/effort. Usually I will go meet people at their houses. It has never been a problem. I've met a few in parking lots at my request and also sometimes at the buyer's request.

As a seller, I have noticed buyers moving away from negotiating via email, they will get to my place then negotiate, even if we have a previously agreed upon price. Or they will not have the exact amount of money, so I put all my asking prices in $20 denominations (because most people come with cash from ATMs).

Local police stations are almost always designated Craigslist drop spots. It's a little awkward going to someone's house but I personally have never had a problem. They are hoping you're not a murderer as much as you're hoping they're not one.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
Some sellers will meet, especially for a more expensive item. I have asked them to deliver furniture and added money to my offer or their asking price for the gas/effort. Usually I will go meet people at their houses. It has never been a problem. I've met a few in parking lots at my request and also sometimes at the buyer's request.

As a seller, I have noticed buyers moving away from negotiating via email, they will get to my place then negotiate, even if we have a previously agreed upon price. Or they will not have the exact amount of money, so I put all my asking prices in $20 denominations (because most people come with cash from ATMs).

Local police stations are almost always designated Craigslist drop spots. It's a little awkward going to someone's house but I personally have never had a problem. They are hoping you're not a murderer as much as you're hoping they're not one.

She said everything I was going to, including meeting at the police station. I had a buyer meet me there recently, because I was selling Grand Champions and the buyer was a male, so, kinda non-standard collector. Turns out he was buying for his granddaughter. Also I brought a friend and priced with $20 increments.

He also brought a friend- because, for all he knew, I could have been the serial killer.

That's another thing- when communicating via email, I don't use my name (Sarah). My signature just says "s", so parties don't assume my gender/vulnerability.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Spoiler

This is what I was going to say; because of the issues that have occurred with people being attacked when meeting from CL ads, police departments encourage you to meet at the police department or other public safety building.  I've met people in the parking lots of busy shopping areas before as well; once I was meeting a man so I actually had my dad drive me instead for that one.

Everyone else has given good advice already as well. Good luck!

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline BethyVic

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  I emailed the person and asked when we could meet up.  I will definitely meet at a very public, busy place and will bring someone with me.  Hopefully they get back to me soon.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
I have only ever bought or sold at the sellers home (mine or theirs) buyers always bring a friend/significant other. I also have always gone with my SO. And with one exception when I was the buyer- all transactions took place outside of the house.

The one time a buyer came into my house was during a snow storm while they wanted to buy breakables.
And as others have said, we had negotiated price via email and then she continued to try to haggle on site (the sale didnt go through) I have never haggled on site myself, as I hate haggling.
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline BethyVic

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 05:42:20 PM »
You guys are right about the flakiness.  I emailed the person two days ago and they haven't replied. 
[email protected]

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
Yup lots of flaky people on Craigslist lol. But lots of good deals if you can find them! Just remember to stay safe when meeting up with someone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal