collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Im looking for a Camera, I need advice  (Read 609 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Im looking for a Camera, I need advice
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
I am tired of relying on my phone to take pictures!

And now that I'm doing customs again, I really would like to take pictures that are actually presentable.
I don't know anything about cameras though, and I cant really afford something suuuper big and fancy.

Honestly probably looking at the $100 range. I am no photographer, and this camera does not need to be something super fancy and technical. I just need it to take pictures that are at least an OK quality.

Last time I had a camera it was a kodak easy share xD and that worked pretty good. But that was at least 10 years ago, and I have no idea what's out there now?
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Im looking for a Camera, I need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:07:40 PM »
The only thing I have to say is I've found Canon to be a very reliable brand! :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:20:01 PM »
I haven't gotten a new camera in like 5 years so I don't have any camera advice to give, but honestly photo quality depends a lot more on lighting than it does the camera! Obviously a better camera will help but if the lighting is poor camera photos can still look like cell phone shots.

I'd suggest building a small lightbox once you get your new camera (really cheap & easy; I used a box, tin foil, white paper, and a simple lamp). It'll do wonders for how good your indoor photos turn out :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:06:18 PM »
In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Sony cybershot. My last one lasted over ten years and I only got a new one because they don't do that type of memory sticks anymore.

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
We're a big Canon family - if you're just looking for something basic for pony photos, a lot of brands make really decent point-and-shoots these days. I've had a Nikon point-and-shoot before that was alright too.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 05:56:58 PM »
photo quality depends a lot more on lighting than it does the camera!
This!
Lighting is so important.

With that said, I think all cameras in the $100 price range are going to be the around the same quality. What may be more important is how the camera feels in your hand/press the shutter-- or how fast it responds when you want to take a picture.

I believe if you are strictly looking for quality-- look a camera that has a bigger sensor... but they might not differ too much in the ~$100 price range. But the holidays are coming, so you might be able to score a good deal on something!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
Yeah lighting IS an issue in our house, so ill probably have to look into making a light box of some kind.

But theres also only so much I can do with my phone, which at the moment, is my only camera, and its just not doing the trick. Back when I had a point and shoot cam, I had decent luck with it. Like i said, Im no photographer, but for the random still life sorta things I would need it for, it does the trick well enough lol. Ill take a look at some of these. Thanks as always, for the help!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 07:20:42 PM »
I have a Cannon Powershot SX 530.  It's quite a bit more than you want to spend (closer to $300) but there might be a good Black Friday sale that could knock it down to your price range.  I like it because it has the option of changing what your priority is and adjusting all the other settings for you based on the current lighting.  For example, if I want fast shutter speed and the lighting is low, I can put it on that setting and it will automatically adjust the aperture.  Or I can specify the aperture that I want and it will adjust the speed and other related settings for me.  It's also fairly lightweight so I can take it on vacation with me.  I bought it as a vacation camera because my Nikon D40 was just too heavy to carry around all day.  It also has built in Wi-fi capabilities so you can set it to send the pictures to your phone if you want.

I will say that I bought extra batteries for it because when I'm on vacation I tend to use it pretty heavily and the single battery just didn't last all day. 

Offline PetSounds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 11:40:48 PM »
The Kodak PixPro has gotten some good ratings, you can get one for $75 on Amaszon.
If you end up getting a nicer camera, I'm a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix line , a little more expensive but I'm not sure where they start pricewise. They are made with Leica lenses and cost about so much less than Leicas! That being said....
I have an iPhone 6 and shoot full professional film on there - WITH the right lighting. I recommend some cheap ring light type things, sometimes LED lights are on sale at Home Depot or Lowe's, I've used those for so many video and photo shoots. A light box is a great thing to have and it's very easy & cheap to make one. :) Can't wait to see your customs!
"I guess I just wasn't made for these times..."   - Pet Sounds

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
Definitely a light box will help! If you can afford it, Ottlite makes great lights that don't look yellowed like others do. They can be a bit pricey, though. If you have a Joanns near you, they sell Ottlites and you can use coupons :).

As for the camera, I agree that most in the $100 are probably similar. Maybe look on Amazon and compare the features of a few in that range to see what you like?

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »
I'm all for Canon. When I got a new camera I gave the old one to my son who was 5 at the time. It's been dropped a million times and still works.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal