collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm making an action figure/doll!  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
I'm making an action figure/doll!
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
Hi there, I made a thread awhile ago for these Game of Thrones statues I was making. Since I have very narrow interests and deep obsessions, I have fallen into Game of Thrones action figures! The ones by ThreeZero. But they get released super slowly, and because action figure collectors are mostly interested in fighting-type, cool warrior characters, there's a pretty low chance that my favorite characters would be made. So I tried to make one myself...By attempting Daenerys! But I wasn't happy with the headmold I made, so she's been put on hold for now.

But while I was sculpting the Daenerys head, I worked on a second one as practice. And, well, that one turned out much better than Dany, so now I've shifted focus! She's supposed to be Missandei, Dany's assistant, councilor, and friend. She's not going to be as stunningly realistic as my ThreeZero figures, but I've grown very attached to her so far so I don't really mind anymore.

Here are some pics of the progress!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The unbaked sculpt.

First paint attempt. This was the second body I bought for this. I spent $50 on the first one and realized I hated it when it arrived :/ Stiff, awkward jointing and really fragile...this one is much better.

Refined the paint job and painted the upper body as well.

She gets hair and a dress! The dress is just a muslin first draft, I'm still trying to find a good fabric that will drape well at this scale...And I tried to make a first-draft cape, but that didn't go so well. Will have to tackle that again later. I definitely want to give her a cape, because I don't like the shoulder joints. The white string in her hair will be replaced with gold tinsel or ribbon later on down the line as well...And she needs shoes! So the figure itself is mostly done, just gotta make the clothes and do some tweaking to the hair. I've logged 48.5 hours on her at this point.

Here's what the character looks like in the show (apologies for the small pic):

Throughout this project I've been wondering what the difference is between a doll and an action figure. I started this project inspired by action figure customizers and used techniques I found from their communities, particularly with appropriately scaled hair and attaching it to a head. (except for the curls - I got that from my pony restoration skills! Straw curls!) But it feels like this would be considered a doll because it is: 1. Female; 2. Has "real" hair and fabric clothing; and 3. Not based off a combative character. It feels like an "action figure" can have one or maybe two of those attributes, but all three together place it firmly in the "doll" realm. But I don't really know much about either scene, so this is just based off what few observations I've made from lurking action figure collector's forums.

Anyway, here's one more picture for this post, her with my ThreeZero figures on my bookshelf. It's a bit of a mismatched group character-wise, but I'm not too bothered by that. Her hair kind of disappears in this dark picture, though...

I love that Tyrion.

I notice that every time I make a thread here, it's a ridiculously specific piece of fanwork, so I hope it doesn't bother anyone. I was also debating whether this belongs in the Doll section or the Arts and Crafts one, and I'm not sure if I made the right choice. If it needs to be moved, I apologize in advance to the mods! Anyone who happened to look at this, thanks for putting up with me :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:14:51 PM by Jocelyn »

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: I'm making an action figure/doll!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
Wow thats impressive! Without even reading the description or seeing the reference image, I knew right away who it was! Missandei has always been one of my favorite "side" characters in the series. I think you did a wonderful job so far, and she looks to fit in so well with the other action figures.

as far as categorizing her as doll or action figure? I think its totally up to you!
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:31:39 PM »
very nice! looks just like the character to!
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:44:56 AM »
Wow, you've done an incredible job! You captured her looks brilliantly, and I'm so glad you decided to proceed with a side character rather than one of the main characters - they need more love! :)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Wow- you are seriously talented!  She looks really accurate!

What body are you using?  How tall is she?  I'm very impressed- at both your sculpting and painting skills.

What are your "ThreeZero" figures? Are you on flickr?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:36:03 AM »
Oh wow! She looks ten times better then any store bought action figure.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jocelyn

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »
Thank you guys very much :) I can't remember exactly how tall she is, perhaps about 10 inches? She's got an Alpha Triad Hispanic body, which is a bit more muscular than I would like, but it still works pretty well.

I've currently just got Jon Snow and Tyrion as far as ThreeZero figs go, but I want Jamie when he comes out too! I just wish they would eventually make some female characters too...Especially since they're now ruling Westeros!

I actually do have Flickr, though I haven't used my account in forever until now! But photobucket is being horrivle atm, so here are a few more pics hosted on Flickr!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:56:09 PM by Jocelyn »

Offline Starlove1978

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 07:56:22 AM »
Wow  :shocked:
Did you make her??
REALLY good work on her  :biggrin:
Beautiful

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
I love her! Very spot on, especially in the resting expression. I wish ThreeZero would make Daenerys too! I have always wanted a 1/6 scale Daenerys.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 10:01:54 AM »
Thank you guys very much :) I can't remember exactly how tall she is, perhaps about 10 inches? She's got an Alpha Triad Hispanic body, which is a bit more muscular than I would like, but it still works pretty well.

I've currently just got Jon Snow and Tyrion as far as ThreeZero figs go, but I want Jamie when he comes out too! I just wish they would eventually make some female characters too...Especially since they're now ruling Westeros!

I actually do have Flickr, though I haven't used my account in forever until now! But photobucket is being horrivle atm, so here are a few more pics hosted on Flickr!

https://flic.kr/p/PcJqFc
https://flic.kr/p/P9AsCo

I'll have to figure out how to embed those later.

Cool! Just followed you so I can track your progress :D

Offline BethMcBeth

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.BethMcBeth.com
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 01:37:05 PM »
Wow!!! That is so serious sculpting there! Excellent work!

lostpony

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »
If you re-shoot the show in stop-motion with these, no one will know it's not the original footage.

Offline Jocelyn

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:22 PM »
Haha, that would definitely be a fun way to occupy an afternoon :D

I just got an actual camera, so I wanted to show off a pic I just snapped of my girl! I still need to make a cloak for her, that's the final piece. Thankfully I'll be able to take nice, clear pictures from now on - that's been a struggle of mine since forever, lol.

lostpony

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 12:00:42 AM »
What camera did you get/what price range?  I have the same frustration:  I got some camera hoping to improve on my fone camera and it's much worse at close range...

Oh her details are a lot easier to see in that last pic.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 10:06:22 AM »
Haha, that would definitely be a fun way to occupy an afternoon :D

I just got an actual camera, so I wanted to show off a pic I just snapped of my girl! I still need to make a cloak for her, that's the final piece. Thankfully I'll be able to take nice, clear pictures from now on - that's been a struggle of mine since forever, lol.

Wow, I would call her stunningly accurate-  amazing job!  It sure looks like you could give Noel Cruz a run for his money!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal