collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why does international shipping have to be a pain?  (Read 3386 times)

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
Why does international shipping have to be a pain?
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »
Hope it's ok to post this rant here since it does pertain to trading advice. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has dealt with hassles in trying to get items to overseas buyers. I don't mind helping fellow collectors across the pond and know offering this option increases profits, but just getting the stuff sent off is becoming more trouble than it's worth.

Today I go to ship a package and fill out the form. New forms that require a barcode so mailing it at the other town PO where they are still in the stone age computer wise, I knew was out of the question.  Of course the postal clerk at my local PO has to enter said info into computer which can take a while. Well there is one customer behind me that is doing something that won't take much time so the clerk ask if he can go ahead of me and I agree as I was going to offer him to go first anyway. While clerk is trying to get first customer situated, in walks another person so instead of cutting in front, I have to let her go. Then here comes two more customers who of course need to be waited on. The other postal clerk is in the back, but doesn't bother coming up to open the other register to deal with the influx of people coming in so I could go ahead and  get this guy to key in my info.

I don't usually deal with our local PO when shipping overseas because the lady clerk there always huffs and complains she has to key in the info. Well, if you don't like your job, give it to me! I'll take the benefits and pension package. It wasn't so much the waiting, but my brother had to go to work and he was sitting out in the car waiting for me to get done so I had no choice but to take the package back home. I just want to mail this package so the customer will get their item and not complain it was mailed late. How do other US sellers deal with mailing internationally? What problems do you encounter?

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: Why does international shipping have to be a pain?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
I HATE posting things internationally.
When I have toy sales I always get a few international enquiries, but I try to make my sales US only. It is so much more trouble than its worth.
Half of the time I lose money on shipping, even with the postage calculator.

If an item isn't selling and I have an international buyer interested, I will try and sell to them. But I do tell them it will be at least a week before I can ship since I can only go on Saturdays.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
I use USPS.com for some international shipments. it's not the best, but I can't stand in line waiting forever with my 2year old, so if I can't get my husband to watch her I just buy the labels online and drop the package in the overnight bin.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »
Every time I do a batch of sales it takes me at least an hour or two to work out postage options and update the postage table etc then depending what happens deal with problems... The possible problems seem endless! I rely on international bidders to get reasonable prices on eBay. Not even minimum wage but worth it to get rid of extra stuff. One batch left to go before optimal stuff reached!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:11:07 AM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
I use USPS.com for some international shipments. it's not the best, but I can't stand in line waiting forever with my 2year old, so if I can't get my husband to watch her I just buy the labels online and drop the package in the overnight bin.

This! And if it's an eBay sale or if they pay via PayPal I can just print out a label. I bought a postage scale and I keep measuring tape near my computer. Plus my mailmen are nice and I can leave them notes in my mailbox if my packages are too large and they will come to the house and pick the package up for me.

Offline silverdawn

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:31 PM »
If you can, I HIGHLY recommend buying a cheapy black and white printer, the cheapest you can find, and then just use refill black cartridges for the rest of your life. (Mine is over a decade old now)  Oh, and a kitchen food scale lol.  Then you can print your labels directly from ebay.  I love love love being able to do this.  I can also request package pickups fright from the ebay site so the mail lady knows to come right to my door and pickup the mail during the normal mail route.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually gone to the PO this year.  (none of them pleasant)

The other nice thing about printing directly from ebay, is they often give you shipping discounts.  Usually they aren't huge, just a few nickels and dimes here and there, but it can help offset the fees you pay ebay on your shipping.  In some cases, the discounts are HUGE (think priority mail international), and I can actually refund my buyers the difference.  That makes them very happy :)

International sales make up 30% on my lowest months to 50% on my highest months, so it's definitely a market worth tapping into.  If you're in the US, the ebay postage calculator does all the work for you if you can print your labels online.  I LOVE printing my labels online.  If I had to stand in lines at the PO every day, I think I'd go nutso.  The online labels are so much easier.  I highly recommend them if you plan on doing any larger volume of shipping.  Even just for domestic stuff, it will make your selling life a million times easier. :)

A side note, don't sign up for ebay's global shipping program... stay far far away from that...

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
Perhaps not so (directly) helpful to you guys, but perhaps for us international buyers.... Another collector/friend here in my country put me onto something called YouShop (this is a New Zealand thing).

It means I can purchase in the US and get the parcel sent direct to the US warehouse (so you guys aren't shipping 'internationally') where I can then either get my parcel sent direct to me, or hold it there until other parcels arrive and then I can consolidate them and get them all sent together (saving a bit on shipping usually). I pay for the shipping to the warehouse, and from there to me. It's also cool because it means I can buy from ebay sellers who won't ship international. It's a similar system to the GSP but less painful, though I confess to having had some grumbles with the US warehouse.

Anyway, I guess my point being that it often ends up being a bit cheaper than the GSP for me as a buyer, I get tracking, and if other people have similar systems for their countries it could make things easier for both seller and buyer :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Honestly, I refuse to ship internationally anymore. I did it some before but it just takes too much. Too much money, too much time, too much waiting, too many possible problems. I can't get to the post office before it closes pretty much ever. Even if I could I don't have an hour to wait in line just so I can deal with the incompetent staff that apparently don't know what they're doing :/

I know it sucks for all the good international buyers out there (I've sold internationally before and had wonderful buyers here on the Arena), but its just way too much. I'd rather just not sell the stuff instead of having to deal with the headache and stress.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:11:38 PM »
Perhaps not so (directly) helpful to you guys, but perhaps for us international buyers.... Another collector/friend here in my country put me onto something called YouShop (this is a New Zealand thing).

It means I can purchase in the US and get the parcel sent direct to the US warehouse (so you guys aren't shipping 'internationally') where I can then either get my parcel sent direct to me, or hold it there until other parcels arrive and then I can consolidate them and get them all sent together (saving a bit on shipping usually). I pay for the shipping to the warehouse, and from there to me. It's also cool because it means I can buy from ebay sellers who won't ship international. It's a similar system to the GSP but less painful, though I confess to having had some grumbles with the US warehouse.

Anyway, I guess my point being that it often ends up being a bit cheaper than the GSP for me as a buyer, I get tracking, and if other people have similar systems for their countries it could make things easier for both seller and buyer :)

Yeah that is the same deal as the GSP service, just a different company handling your mail...

In my experience, shipping internationally has never been any more of an inconvenience than going to the post office for anything else!  So I just don't get why people have an issue with it.  Of course, I understand that postage is expensive but you're paying for a service to bring it to your door!  You don't have to travel for it, book a flight, cross customs, etc.  In rare instances I know you might pay just as much for gas and toll roads IF you chose to travel to pick it up, but not most of the time.  If I want the item, I will pay whatever it costs to have it sent to me.  :-p  I don't understand buyers who want you to cheap out on postal services and proper packaging, etc. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:16:31 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 03:50:41 AM »
I find shipping from the US is a real pain, and made overly complicated. I've done it person, and online and its just too many steps!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »
I print all my shipping labels online either direct from PayPal, eBay, or USPS.com then use the pick up service. My mail carrier collects my packages (including international) and I never have to go in to the post office. The carrier has a scanner & enters the customs info in on the spot.

I ship multiple packages a day, and have not had any issues or complaining from disgruntled PO clerks. My carrier has told me multiple times that he "gets paid by the hour & loves people like me because it's justified overtime." :P If your clerks are giving you trouble, try the pick up service.

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
I haven't had to stand in line at the post office in years.  I print everything through PayPal or USPS.com then drop it off at the counter bypassing the line entirely.  International isn't really any more difficult than domestic this way - just a couple of extra steps to fill out the customs info.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 02:22:00 AM »
Speaking as an "international" buyer and seller...

In the good old days when I was a silly teenager, I used to get very offended by the glut of US only sellers on Ebay. And I converted a fair few, because shipping then was pretty simple. The problem was largely a fear of the unknown.

These days, as a responsible adult, I respect the choice of each seller as to where they ship. It doesn't mean I like it, but it's really not for me to tell them what to do.

In my case, I have shipped internationally as a rule of thumb since I was 16; I'm now 34 so that's what, 18 years? I've shipped all over the world in that time, and every single time I ship (even though I have scales and a printer), I end up having to go to the post office. I have custom forms at home but I still have to make a trip every time.

I have navigational issues, can't drive and, when at home, have a grand total of nine buses in a day that can take me to the post office and back. That isn't nine bus routes. It;s one bus route that run nine times in a day, missing some hours due to school route diversions. Sometimes I can get a lift, but most often I take the bus. Sometimes it means multiple trips on the same item to doublecheck the pricing and size since they keep changing those rules. I've often lost odd money here and there because of changes in those rules.

Even with all of that, I will still ship worldwide because I believe in it. The only exception has been when Parcelforce introduced the volumetric weight and prices for certain items went up into the $60 or $70 range for no reason.

Everyone has the right to decide where and how they ship. My question to the people who ship to the US (or any country) only is, do you buy from abroad? If so, do you expect the seller to go the extra mile for you, travel out to a PO, do all the things they need to to get you your package? If the answer is yes, then surely the same should apply to your dealings with other buyers?

As an international seller, I have a rule now. Ebay is obviously different, but in private sales, I will ship worldwide, but I won't ship to someone who wouldn't ship to me if the tables were turned. I think that its fine to ship to your own country only, but you should not expect someone in another country to go to the trouble if you wouldn't be willing to do so yourself.

Incidentally, in 18 years of shipping worldwide, I have had no packages go missing and only one occasion thus far when someone forced a refund after claiming they didn't get their item. I've sent and received cash  the post, nobody ever stole it either way. And I am so well known at three post offices in my area that they now just give me custom forms and airmail labels when they see me. I have had to carry heavy stuff, awkward stuff, and all of those things, but honestly, that's just a normal part of selling to me.

I don't regret shipping worldwide at all. I love the thought that stuff I have ends up all over the world, and stuff I own came from all over the world. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:25:01 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:53:27 PM »

Yeah that is the same deal as the GSP service, just a different company handling your mail...

In my experience, shipping internationally has never been any more of an inconvenience than going to the post office for anything else!  So I just don't get why people have an issue with it.  Of course, I understand that postage is expensive but you're paying for a service to bring it to your door!  You don't have to travel for it, book a flight, cross customs, etc.  In rare instances I know you might pay just as much for gas and toll roads IF you chose to travel to pick it up, but not most of the time.  If I want the item, I will pay whatever it costs to have it sent to me.  :-p  I don't understand buyers who want you to cheap out on postal services and proper packaging, etc.

For me going to the post office is a pain. I'm in a pretty crowded city, so unless I hit the timing just right I will be in line behind about 10 other people, and then it takes a longggg time for them to process my items. For US shipping, I just stop on my way to work at a USPS kiosk and boom I'm done in 5 minutes. I can ship anything and get stamps. I also work a 9-5 day, 5 days a week, so Saturday is my only day I can ship international, and it normally takes at least an hour chunk from my day off :(

When I used to live in a less crowded rural city, shipping was easy peasy. But its honestly more of a hassle than its worth. I also get buyers who are upset when I tell them shipping will be double the cost of the item they're buying.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:12 AM »
Speaking as an "international" buyer and seller...

In the good old days when I was a silly teenager, I used to get very offended by the glut of US only sellers on Ebay. And I converted a fair few, because shipping then was pretty simple. The problem was largely a fear of the unknown.

These days, as a responsible adult, I respect the choice of each seller as to where they ship. It doesn't mean I like it, but it's really not for me to tell them what to do.

In my case, I have shipped internationally as a rule of thumb since I was 16; I'm now 34 so that's what, 18 years? I've shipped all over the world in that time, and every single time I ship (even though I have scales and a printer), I end up having to go to the post office. I have custom forms at home but I still have to make a trip every time.

I have navigational issues, can't drive and, when at home, have a grand total of nine buses in a day that can take me to the post office and back. That isn't nine bus routes. It;s one bus route that run nine times in a day, missing some hours due to school route diversions. Sometimes I can get a lift, but most often I take the bus. Sometimes it means multiple trips on the same item to doublecheck the pricing and size since they keep changing those rules. I've often lost odd money here and there because of changes in those rules.

Even with all of that, I will still ship worldwide because I believe in it. The only exception has been when Parcelforce introduced the volumetric weight and prices for certain items went up into the $60 or $70 range for no reason.

Everyone has the right to decide where and how they ship. My question to the people who ship to the US (or any country) only is, do you buy from abroad? If so, do you expect the seller to go the extra mile for you, travel out to a PO, do all the things they need to to get you your package? If the answer is yes, then surely the same should apply to your dealings with other buyers?

As an international seller, I have a rule now. Ebay is obviously different, but in private sales, I will ship worldwide, but I won't ship to someone who wouldn't ship to me if the tables were turned. I think that its fine to ship to your own country only, but you should not expect someone in another country to go to the trouble if you wouldn't be willing to do so yourself.

Incidentally, in 18 years of shipping worldwide, I have had no packages go missing and only one occasion thus far when someone forced a refund after claiming they didn't get their item. I've sent and received cash  the post, nobody ever stole it either way. And I am so well known at three post offices in my area that they now just give me custom forms and airmail labels when they see me. I have had to carry heavy stuff, awkward stuff, and all of those things, but honestly, that's just a normal part of selling to me.

I don't regret shipping worldwide at all. I love the thought that stuff I have ends up all over the world, and stuff I own came from all over the world. But that's just me.

As you said, I take it as an individual thing. If they ship international, great. If they don't, I can probably just middleman it. Otherwise, tough luck.

I come from a different prospective because I'd say 90% of what I collect is from Japan. I don't ship international...and 95% of the time, neither do they! Doesn't mean I'm going to stop buying. It just means that I need to get a proxy/deputy service involved.

I don't believe in the shipping being a two-way street. Every situation is different. For example, all the effort you put in to shipping...to me, monetarily, that would never be worth it. And while I do partially sell to help someone out here and there, profit is the end goal. And international shipping lately has just not been profitable with all the price hikes.

I USED to ship international. But now I just find it to be too big a hassle, too expensive, and too stressful. I can't find good balance between making the buyers happy, but also protecting myself. Protecting myself means tracking. Which means $40 shipping on $13 items. No one wins there. And even though I never had a bad experience, I literally cannot afford for someone to pull that "I never got my item" thing on me. Don't even want to deal with the risk.

I accept that I'm losing customers. It does suck for both of us. So I hate it when people take it personally, as if I'm saying I hate their country by not shipping to them. It's not at all a personal thing...it's a logistical thing. The majority of my buyers were typically from Germany and the UK, actually. Just couldn't keep doing it. I don't have a moral cause for international shipping. So the time/effort/money it takes to get down there, and the 20-40 minutes in the PO on a Saturday TWO cities over just isn't worth it to an occasional individual seller. Especially if I only made one international sale with a value of $15 or less that week or something. I've always reminded people that I'm not a business, nor do I ever intend to be one. I sell to get rid of the old and buy the new, essentially. Hope that all made sense.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:14:53 AM by Noxxbunny »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal