collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone have a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a cat with cerebellar hypoplasia?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »
Updating to say that Christine Perfect got a mostly clean bill of health yesterday and was finally heavy enough to have her first round of vaccinations!  :D  And then she insisted on riding my shoulder all the way home.

We did do an x-ray of her head to rule out any traumatic brain injury causing her wobbliness and found a few darker areas on the scan that the vet couldn't immediately explain, but she said all visible structures looked well developed and so long as Steen is being an otherwise normal kitten to just treat her as such, and also she was so good for her scans the vet didn't even have to hold her on the table, she just stayed positioned and purring.  That's my girl.  /proud

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »
I'm glad she's doing well ^.^

CH is caused by a virus which the pregnant mother cat catches. This virus affects the development of the cerebellum in the kittens. The cerebellum is the part of the brain responsible for coordinating muscle activity. The degree to which the kittens are affected depends on how far along the mother cat is. However it can affect each kitten to varying degrees within a litter. In cats with CH I believe the cerebellum is either smaller or shows sign of damage. I'm no vet, so I have no idea if it would show on a scan or not. Hopefully your vet will take a good look at the scans and perhaps find an explanation for the darker patches. It may well be related to her being a runt or something that happened at birth and not CH.

On saying all that, the vet is right, just treat her like a regular kitten. She's obviously a really determined little thing....I know Angel is determined:P

Love pkw and Angel xxx

RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 06:31:29 AM »
PKW, she is certainly determined to get into that bag of Cheetos, that's for sure!  XD  She spent most of yesterday on my shoulder trying to swat my snack out of my hand! 

I think I'll make her a shoulder pad thing from maybe some sherpa material so she has something to grip besides my skin. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal