collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So Generally Speaking Reindeer Customs (and other nonpony customs), Opinions?  (Read 568 times)

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Last year when I was first exploring the idea of trying to make a custom, I saw many beautiful reindeer customs. I was floored by them and they were probably the reason I decided I wanted to make customs.

I've been wanting to make one ever since. Lately, I have been pondering designs for one. There are so many beautiful ones out there if you try googling the subject, each with their own style. The thing I can't figure out with my design, rooted hair or not? Does it take away from the design to root in hair? Does it make it look too much like a pony still? Generally speaking I prefer rooted hair over sculpted any day of the week on a regular pony. It's just my preference, but on reindeer I've seen some that just work beautifully. So I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the subject and maybe start a discussion. But what do you think, when it comes to customizing a pony into another animal (reindeer or other) that generally doesn't have a mane, what do you think, do you root a mane anyways or not?       And you're welcome to share your reindeer pictures if you got them.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
i personally love rooted hair over moulded hair, and honestly i think it adds a "ponyish" quality to them that i really like? like you're customizing a pony, you don't want to take away the whole pony feel IMO ! id go either bald or with rooted hair, not molded.

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
I have seen it work, and I have seen it not work. Personally, I like reindeer customs without manes, because reindeer don't really have manes. When creating another creature without hair or manes, I typically just sculpt over the holes to leave hair absent.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
i think it could work both ways, sometimes the sculped hair doesnt look so good, but other times it does. maybe go with a shorter mane, or long strait locks would look fine as well.

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline PinkieShyPony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
I would usually leave the hair off just because that is my preference. However I just finished making a deer custom for a private swap and they really wanted a rooted mane.

I think it looks kind cute with the hair. Sorry for the bad picture I havent had the opportunity to take good pictures yet.

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
Go with whatever you think feels right with your muse. My ponies usually "tell me" what they want as I go along. It's often not at all what I would have in mind when I started.

Have a couple of reindeer to inspire you! And have fun!! These were a couple of favorites of mine; I hope your reindeer brings you just as much joy!

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline PinkieShyPony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Those are so cute!

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
you could always root and trim to a short mohawk ;)

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
I don't really have an opinion (I think it could work either way), but I just wanted to say that the example customs that were posted are lovely!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I've seen some truly amazing ones by talented artists. Reindeer, xenomorphs, split headed dogs, cows, kirins, dragons and hypogryphs.

No rooted hair unless the creature in question actually has it. It takes away from from what it's trying to be.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:00:29 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
If you can decide, try mohair or something. Fluffy and fuzzy! Deer are very fluffy and soft... try tufts of hair. Use a little faux fur to make a puffy white tail, or a little floof of hair on the forehead for some personality. Like Fireball from "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Experiment. If you find you don't like it, you can go molded.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal