collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood Dreams of Adulthood vs Real Adulthood  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Childhood Dreams of Adulthood vs Real Adulthood
« on: October 15, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
So I've been thinking about what I thought being a grown up would be when I was a kid and how some of it turned out. I figured it might be fun to hear some others as well!

Here are some of mine:

Child: I can eat whatever I want (even cake for breakfast)
Adult: Mostly true, since I can do my own grocery shopping (and yes I have had cake for breakfast)

Child: My mom will never be able to tell me I can't have a toy
Adult: Now I have to say it to myself...

Child: I'll have a house full of toys and my own closet!
Adult: I do have a closet, and lots of toys - house to put them in still pending though.

Child: I can do whatever I want to my own room.
Adult: Sort of true, I'm renting right now but I have a lot more options that I did as a kid. I even get to do my kitchen and bathroom too. Not something I even considered but ups the fun.

Child: I'll never have to worry about anyone but myself.
Adult: This one is definitely way more complicated than I thought it would be...

I feel like I didn't dream big enough as a kid.

What were some of yours?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: Childhood Dreams of Adulthood vs Real Adulthood
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »
Child me: I was obsessed with learning to fly planes, "I'm going to be a commercial pilot!"
Adult me: did some introductory flying.. ok pilot's license alone is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! xD Would still love to do that someday though, as well as own a cessna 152 just for hobby flying. u.u

Besides that, I was that kid that was kinda already thinking like a grown up. >.< I always worried about things like learning how to drive, and how difficult bills would be, and how impossible it seemed to find houses. xD I guess I started overhearing my parents financial struggles at a young age.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:34:43 PM »
Child me: When I'm grown up, I will be a responsible adult with the answer for everything. I will never be insecure or need anyone again.

Adult me: I don't know anything and I still need mommy.

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 02:06:43 AM »
Child me: When I'm grown up, I will be a responsible adult with the answer for everything. I will never be insecure or need anyone again.

Welp, that makes two of us  :P :blush:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 02:35:10 AM »
I'm in the same situation as True in that I thought more like an adult. I can't think of any childhood fantasies about growing up, I was more the type to question how life would be as an adult...I apparently used to ask things like "how will I know who to marry?" "how will I remember what side to drive on on every single street (conveniently that's not as complicated as I expected)?" etc.

The closest I have is my 'teenage fantasies' where I would finally be done school, decide on a career, and have that perfect life until I die. Too bad teenage me couldn't predict I'd still be directionless in what I want to do with my life. -_- I can't even say I'm out of the woods with school yet at this point.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 06:16:13 AM »

[/

Three.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:17 AM »
Oh goodness I had my life all planned out by the age of 6.  I was going to be a doctor, live in a big house, have two children and nice career and a great husband.  I wasn't really thinking about toys because for me as a child I learned very early about responsibility and survival due to mom and I being alone after a nasty divorce.  So, I was thinking ahead.  I also went through a phase of wanting to be a nurse.  When I got into high school I tested on my career testing that I should be a doctor, "a Psychiatrist" or a Teacher.
Then I got sick.
Then I was disabled.
Then I worked no more.
I ended up being a teacher though and did get to teach for a while. I am glad I am not a Psychiatrist though.  The life trauma I have gone through would certainly help me understand others, but my patience level is low now due to pain and stuff. :huh:  I tend to get overwhelmed very easily now. Medical careers run in my family.  Teaching does also.
I have a small house, no children and a difficult but meaningful life.  Nothing like I expected ROFLOL.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 08:12:57 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
My mom and I stopped getting along when I was about 6 and pretty much had to emotionally become an adult over night without the tools to do it. So at that point everything pretty much became about getting away from that. I got super mixed messages about financial responsibility from her, and well my toys were my friends so I always figured I could pay the bills and get whatever I wanted lol.

Tulagirl - that totally reminds me. I wanted to be a Veterinarian for about 10 years. Got to my first dissection in school and couldn't do it, got sick.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 06:57:53 AM »
Child me: Living on my own will be really scary, and won't I feel lonely?

Adult me: Living on my own is THE BEST! If I get lonely (rarely), I just invite a friend over or go to their place. Problem solved.  :accomplished:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 10:35:12 AM »
childhood me: when I grow up I am going to have a red car and a personalized license plate that says DUDE

adult me: seriously considering that license plate

child me: when I grow up I can eat the middles out of oreos and throw away the cookie part if I want to

adult me: this is totally the best part of being a grownup

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
Child me had grand plans to be a field paleontologist, traveling the world in an RV with my dog. Adult me is nowhere even remotely close to that as a reality, lol.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:00:27 PM »
Child Skeen: I want to be a starship captain! :D

Adult Skeen: Look, kid, I hate to break it to you, but...

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 01:36:32 PM »
Child me had grand plans to be a field paleontologist, traveling the world in an RV with my dog. Adult me is nowhere even remotely close to that as a reality, lol.

Aw.  That's a lovely dream.  I thought I might be a field botanist but that didn't pan out for me either.

As a child I was really conflicted.  I'm not currently doing the job I'd like to be doing but at least I'm working in a museum.  I kinda did know that would happen eventually, although not an art museum.  As a kid I loved books about gardens, nature and art.  As a really little kid I built a Natural History Museum in a dog kennel in my parents garden.  It had sea shells, animal bones, feathers, birds eggs and dried flowers.  There was no longer a dog.  Later I found work experience in a nature reserve.  But my family didn't know anything about working in nature reserves or museums.  I was confused about what I would do when I left school, I knew I wanted to go to university but I couldn't really see my role in the word beyond it.  I was put off by competitive people.  I wish I'd had more faith in myself at University, ignored my parents and pushed for the career I wanted when I left.  I wasn't encouraged in my passions by my parents and although it was clear that I had to do well and get a job I had no idea how.  People get into these careers it turns out by taking a taught masters degree, or doing an internship.  But my parents didn't understand paying for professional qualifications or working for free.  So I did a 'sensible' science subject, right up to PhD level.  Then I got bored and found other things at different times along the way, fell into a few pitfalls, like teaching in state schools.  Now hopefully having learned the hard way that there is no easy way I will do better!  I have spent a lot of time volunteering now and investing in my professional development.  So in conclusion I knew what I wanted to do when I was a kid, then I let the world talk me out of it and then I decided to go after it again!

I also loved My Little Pony as a kid and fully intended to buy all the ones I wanted as soon as there was no-one to criticise me.  And here I am.  I will never fulfil that ambition but I'm in great company trying  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 03:19:22 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 07:33:42 PM »
childhood me: when I grow up I am going to have a red car and a personalized license plate that says DUDE

adult me: seriously considering that license plate

I remember sitting on the floor in my room with my pink VW Barbie Bug and counting all the letters in the word "barbie" to figure out how I'd have a license plate with it in the future.

As an adult I don't drive and don't even collect Barbie xD

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 08:05:52 PM »
I also loved My Little Pony as a kid and fully intended to buy all the ones I wanted as soon as there was no-one to criticise me.  And here I am.  I will never fulfil that ambition but I'm in great company trying  :lol:

Ha ha! That's awesome. We're living the dream!

I love everyone's responses. I don't really remember what I thought about adulthood when I was younger; I do remember thinking 16 seemed really old (that was when my parents would allow me to date and when I'd be able to drive, all of which seemed mysterious and grown-up to me) I don't think I thought about growing up much, come to think of it. It just happened, heh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal