collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What musicals do you like?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
What musicals do you like?
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:31 PM »
I really enjoy musicals!  My favorites are Into the Woods, Little Shop of Horrors, Les Misérables, and Chicago.  If you haven't seen some iteration of each of these these you should totally check them out!  I usually tend to prefer live theatre versions of musicals, but sometimes it is just best to watch a nicely recorded movie version.  I thought Chicago in particular (I saw the 2002 version), was really excellent as a film.

Share your favorites! :biggrin:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
Re: What musicals do you like?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:28 PM »
I haven't seen many at all, but Les Miserables has been a long-time favorite of mine. Way back when I got into it in 2005, I listened to it obsessively, but didn't know what any of it actually meant. (my high school marching band was playing songs from it in our show, and my mom bought me a CD so I could get an idea of it). It was fun when I eventually started piecing everything together. lol. I think I read the book just a year later.

I credit my obsession with listening to Les Miserables to my original love for the oboe/English horn and French horn (waayyy back when that was an instrument I wanted to play). Considering oboe is my main instrument now and got me back into school, I'd say that makes getting into Les Miserables pretty darn important to my life.  :P

Believe it or not I credit a lot of it to this song in particular. Which may come off as odd, as the horn and oboe are hardly featured in the song at all. But back then, and now, I obsessively listen to instrumentation, and the little bits they were there, made me love them. (however, now I don't know if that's a French horn or not... I discovered I'm bad at telling lower brass instruments apart).

Sorry, that's probably not the answer you were looking for. >.< Me and my silly instrument obsessions.

|My Collection|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
Les Miserables is my absolute favorite musical  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: My pony persona Marius is Marius from the musical. I've seen two live theater productions (one professional production and one semi-professional) and I think it will always be a top favorite of mine.  Although I enjoyed the 2012 movie version I was disappointed with in a few places.

My second favorite is the Broadway version of Disney's The Little Mermaid

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:46:24 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
My all time favorite has been Peter Pan since I was a kid ^.^ I grew up on the classic Mary Martin version and still have my old VHS of it. When they remade it for TV (was that last year?) I was so excited! I thought it was done really well and liked everyone in their roles. They did add a new song and cut one out and of course had to change some of the lyrics (the originals weren't very PC in regards to the Indians) but I really enjoyed it.

Second favorite is The King and I with Yul Brynner, but that one is so sad.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »
Into The Woods is my favorite!!! The stage version with Bernadette Peters is my favorite but I really loved the Disney movie too. The costumes were to die for! I saw it at El Capitan and got to drool over some of them in person. Meryl Streep made an amazing Witch and the "Agony" scene is just perfect.

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
i LOVE musicals... some of my favorites are wicked, sweeney todd, legally blonde, le mis, and cats. :bird:

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
I love musicals! My favorites right now are Wicked and Frozen. But as a child I used to watch the Sound of Music every night. I'm fortunate to be able to attend live theater at my local performing arts center. We're getting The Lion King this upcoming season! I can't wait for Hamilton to go on tour, I listened to the album and it sounds great. I haven't seen Into the Woods. I know there is a film version. I will try to check that out.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:47 PM »
The Lion King completely blew me away when I saw it, it's absolutely my favorite.

I also enjoyed:
Ghost: The Musical
Chicago
American Idiot
Anything Goes
The Book of Mormon
The Addams Family

Really hope I can see Hamilton. I haven't gone to the theater as much the past two years because of lack of money and time, but I really enjoy musicals.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:11:38 PM »
I'd love to see Hamilton, but I think I will have to wait a while before I have an opportunity to. :P

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:13:06 PM »
Huge history nerd here, so Hamilton! Nuff' said.  :lol:
I saw it in New York with the original cast and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life!
I highly recommend the soundtrack. ^.^

Emlun

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 03:12:56 AM »
I might throw some of my favorites in as well  ^.^ My most favorite is the Wonderland musical, The Producers, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Heathers which is based on the 1988 movie with Winona Ryder  :lovey:

Offline poshmonsters

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Broke Santa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 06:55:50 AM »
I'm super into Legally Blonde, Cats, Hamilton, Into the Woods, Heathers and Rocky Horror. I'm sure there are more but these are my favorites that I can remember. :)

Always looking for G3 Minty merchandise
Always buying jumbo G3 plushes

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
Im into The Rocky Horror Show, Wicked, Cats, Starlight Express and soooo many more <3 Ive seen quite a couple of Musicals in my life and I wish I could go see more soon <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 09:22:24 AM »
im not really into musicals, but I have a friend that adores them :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline dashesndots

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My facebook Art page
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »
My absolute favorite is Into the Woods. I've seen two live productions (college productions) as well as the recorded original cast production from Broadway, and the new Disney movie.  I love the songs so much, especially "Moments in the Woods", "Agony"/"Agony" Reprise, "I Know Things Now", and of course, the Act I Prologue.   My only quibble with the Disney movie was them cutting "Agony" Reprise because it makes such a nice bookend with the first, and it cements the whole parallel of the princes being "predators" on par with the wolf. (Helps that in the stage play one of the princes and the wolf are usually played by the same actor, which is a nice touch).

I own the movie versions of these:
Chicago
Hairspray
Sweeney Todd
Moulin Rouge
The High School Musical movies :blush:

And:
Wicked - sadly I've only ever heard the music, but I've read the book it's based on, so I know the relative gist of the plot. Love "The Wizard and I" and "Popular"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal