collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: DreamWorks' Trolls - Love or hate the new design?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: DreamWorks' Trolls - Love or hate the new design?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 02:52:40 AM »
I tried to like them, but it seems that Dreamworks wants their own piece of the Minions cake (you know, cute little marketable critters). I'm not very fond of their faces nor their personalities (many of them are just one-off jokes and it shows) but I think the happy-go-lucky pink girl is cute.

I would have to watch the film, tho. Its story seems to be one of those about a cutesy kingdom being attacked by evil forces, and I always enjoy those type of scenarios.

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 03:07:15 AM »
I guess I'm kind of neutral about them. I never liked the 80s or 90s trolls, I found them weird and unsettling with the naked flesh-tone bodies and all the wrinkles.

I admit that I prefer my Trolls with clothes. :) My favorites are the ones cosplaying as all sorts of various occupations and characters.

I tried to like them, but it seems that Dreamworks wants their own piece of the Minions cake (you know, cute little marketable critters).

I thought DreamWorks created Minions too?

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 07:46:39 AM »
I guess I'm kind of neutral about them. I never liked the 80s or 90s trolls, I found them weird and unsettling with the naked flesh-tone bodies and all the wrinkles.

Same, trolls made me kinda uncomfortable as a kid, I never wanted them. I think the dreamworks designs are pretty cute, but I totally understand where you guys are coming from and why you don't like them. I just never had that attachment to the them so I have a different bias.

I thought DreamWorks created Minions too?

Nope, Minions was created by Illumination Entertainment. They've been one of the main competitors to dreamworks/disney/pixar these days. They made The Secret Life of Pets, The Lorax, and the Despicable Me films.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »

Same, trolls made me kinda uncomfortable as a kid, I never wanted them.

lol oh yeah! You reminded me of my own childhood. Whenever someone in our group brought a troll to school or whatever, first we would all have to giggle about how they are naked, then turn them over and look at their little naked butt. XD Then they were mostly just forgotten about. I never really wanted to own them or collect them as a kid either. I think I got two as a birthday present one year (wearing bride and groom outfits) but those were the only ones I ever owned.

Wiki says they originated in 1959! o.0 They got pretty big in the 70's, and enjoyed a brief resurge in the 90's. I can't believe this brand has been around so long!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 03:06:56 PM »
Woah, Zelfs *aren't* rebooted Trolls?! :O I thought for sure they were, I remember hearing something about how they were called "Zelfs" because they thought "trolls" had a negative connotation nowadays (because of internet trolls and all).. IIRC that was from a newspaper, I guess they had false info? Weird.

Anyway... I've never been a fan of Trolls (took me a long time to warm up to Zelfs, and even then I only *really* like the less-trollish ones, if that makes sense ^^;) and I reeeeally don't like these new ones >_< I agree that Dreamworks is probably aiming for a slice of the Minions pie, heh.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
I didn't like the 90s trolls as a kid, but I also don't like the new ones. 

I was never a fan of the 80's/90's Trolls either. The new ones are kind of cute but not something I would buy. My cousin had a couple of Troll dolls with the gems on their tummies but they were never a toy that I liked.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 05:06:37 PM »
on one hand I love them, I think they look cute and fun. But on the other, I was a collector of trolls back in the early 90s and I feel like these are not the same thing at all, they do look a lot like zelfs. I loved zelfs, but mainly becuase they were something similar but different/new, they didnt pretend to be trolls just because they had the hair lol.

I still kinda wanna see the film though.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
Wiki says they originated in 1959! o.0 They got pretty big in the 70's, and enjoyed a brief resurge in the 90's. I can't believe this brand has been around so long!

Yep! Me being a classic TV buff, I spotted one on Gomer Pyle once or twice. Those particular episodes were made around 1966/67. :)

They also had a resurge around 2005/06/07. I picked up a few then. I wish they'd stuck around longer at that point, sigh....

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 08:27:05 PM »
I like the new design, but only because the old design creeped me right out as a kid. I seriously hate the old look. No offence to anyone who likes them, but *shudder*.
So I'm pretty meh on the new design. I will be seeing the movie though, can't stop me from watching everything animated. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 08:43:09 PM »
I think the design is cute. Not sure about the movie though.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2016, 05:20:46 AM »
Personally,  I refuse to call these new trolls a thing.  The old Treasure trolls were so much better.  I'm just not a fan of everything getting a new "cute" look.  The toys make me sad. 

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
The old/classic Trolls always freaked me out as a kid, and I admit that I liked the DiC "Trollz" reboot/spinoff a lot more.

I dont really care for these new Trolls, though. Something about them seem off to me.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Carebearnmbr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
They're ok. Kinda ugly in my opinion. I really wish they'd bring back the classic treasure trolls with the gems in their tummies.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 07:32:11 PM »
I had the Treasure Trolls in the 90s with the jewels in thier bellies so no clothes is fine.  I much prefer Zelfs over these Trolls. I just cant get on board with these. I will probably not see the movie even though Justin Timberlake voices a main character lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal