collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney World recs?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Disney World recs?
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »
So.... my husband had one of those brilliant ideas that came out of his mouth that he would immediately regret.... he wants to have a "family reunion" at my daughter's birthday at Disney World!  Sounds fun, right?

We both HATE crowds, HATE lines, HATE marketing, and I HATE restaurants.  I have severe motion sickness - even a bus ride will make me queasy!  I'm already stressed about how much medication I can put into my carry-on without either ODing or having customs agents freak out.

My daughter could care less about Princesses, it's all about Mickey and Minnie for her.  My husband dreads Disney.  I really am not a fan of mainstream Disney these days, I love the unsavory history and the obscure characters.  I'm glad they brought Figment back at EPCOT- I will probably spend all my monies on Figment shinies!

And going in January... apparently a lot of things will be closed, including some things we wanted to go to!  :(  And I doubt it will be a repeat destination unless by some miracle, our daughter is insane with delight over the experience.  I can see her getting way more excited about the flights, the airports, and security.... the parts SHE finds fascinating! 

I haven't been to Disney World since 1988 - my husband went to Disney Land in about 1980. 

Anyway... hints, tricks, tips, suggestions, know-how from Park Passholders who know how to have fun at WDW in January?
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World recs?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:14:28 AM »
I haven't been since 2008 but there should still be something for everyone there.

Try to be optimistic^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
not sure if this will help, but there are many diverse rides. One for everybody, lots are very easy rides that probably wont make you sick, and there are always plays and shows as well. lucky you arent going when its hot, so the temperature probably will not be a problem.

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
So.... my husband had one of those brilliant ideas that came out of his mouth that he would immediately regret.... he wants to have a "family reunion" at my daughter's birthday at Disney World!  Sounds fun, right?

We both HATE crowds, HATE lines, HATE marketing, and I HATE restaurants.  I have severe motion sickness - even a bus ride will make me queasy!  I'm already stressed about how much medication I can put into my carry-on without either ODing or having customs agents freak out.

Okay I am laughing so hard reading this because it fits our family to a triple T.  I hate crowds too, I don't eat out either, I detest lines and my husband can't stand rides. I get motion sick on rides.  We have been to Disney twice.  We will go again.   What we typically do is go to Epcott my favorite, Animal Kingdom and in the Magic Kingdom there are several low impact rides I call it perfect for kids, motion sick riders and freaked out husbands LOL.  They go very slow and you will find them fine.  There are many activities you can sign your daughter up for that will make her Disney Trip a dream. Usually all of that can be found on line.  Since she is all about Minnie or Mickey then I would search for things that involve those two characters that she can sign up for and get a spot in advance.  My friend put her daughter on the pirate island to search for treasure, she had tea with Cinderella one day, there was a special breakfast they went to where she got her picture with Peter Pan her favorite.  It takes some planning and searching.  There are a bazillion things to do.  When it comes to food there are plenty of walk up places to get fast food.  If you liked restaurants which you do not you would have to make reservations sometimes a year in advance just to get a dinner in some places.  My husband and I avoid all that stuff.  Epcot has a fast food section that represent the country in addition to a sit down restaurant in many of the countries.  We don't have children so we don't have to worry about making reservations for activities, but my friends have done it for theirs. 

Also, I am surprised because typically nothing is closed in Disney unless they are rebuilding something.  Or it broke for the day.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:27:43 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »
I agree with anyone telling you to pick a few key things you / your husband / your daughter want to experience. Make planning these a family experience (depending on your daughter's age, of course) by looking at the parks and what attractions they offer and figuring out what will work best for your family.

I use to go to Disney World with my grandparents every January and the weather was generally pretty good. My park info is way out of date for you, though, since that was back in the 90s. :lol: Still, as an example... Our favorite park was MGM (I think that's Hollywood Studios now or something?) and we knew which rides and attractions we'd want to go on / see and would plan our day around those. We also made sure to leave time to sit down and rest since my grandpa was prone to a lot of foot pain.

Most of the rides I went on at Disney were pretty mild. It may have changed since I went there, but my recalled experience is that the ambiance of being at Disney, meeting the characters, exploring the park, etc. was the draw. The rides my family use to go on enhanced that, rather than trying to do a double back loop leading into an inverted fifty foot drop or anything crazy like that. :lol: I like crazy rides if I can get on them (my balance can make that a pain) but my mom and younger brother tend to prefer the more mellow end of the spectrum, so I can kinda get how you might feel. :)

Anyway, I'll give you the same advice I gave Ledbyrd the other week: comfy shoes, sunscreen, fanny pack, and water. Aside from that, try to relax and have a great trip. There is no need to plan your family around a vacation; plan the vacation around your family instead. :hug: Figure out what will be a fun trip for you, your husband, and your daughter and then do that. :)

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »
You might try going to Animal Kingdom instead? It's my favorite park by far.  The shows, the food, the park itself, the rides-all of it is awesome, and you get to enjoy beautiful shady walking in most of the park, with some really, really interesting animal exhibits, if that's your thing. My family loves Animal Kingdom.
If you go there, go as soon as the park opens, and *RUN* to the back of the park to ride the Safari ride. If you can outrun the herd, then you get right on, and you can enjoy the animals while they're still up and moving around/feeding. Once it gets hot, they all hole up in the shade, so be quick!  It's absolutely worth it, I promise!
My favorite restaurant there is the Yak and Yeti, over in the Asia side. But then, I love asian food. :biggrin:

If you're set on Disneyworld itself, there are several ways to enjoy your trip, it just depends on whether you want to see the most stuff, or take your time and explore your favorite things more thoroughly. (Or just to have fun and not stress.)

Also, there is a park attendance prediction chart online for all the parks, (I forget the web address, sorry), and that's pretty accurate. It's a good way to try and aim for a less crowded day. Do NOT go on maximum capacity days, it sucks. :pout:

As for Disneyworld, a lot the lines there are not nearly as bad in the afternoon and evening--because most people start really early and the little kids are wiped by 1 or 2.

Personally, my best Disneyworld advice is to eat at the *restaurants* not the food courts or the food carts. The cost is similar but the quality and atmospere is exponentially better.  Some of them are practically attractions in themselves. If you want to get in to the Beast's castle for a treat (the dining room is like walking into the movie), go early or book in advance. The line for lunch is long and they cut it off fairly early. 

There are Mickey and Minnie specific rides and areas, most of them don't have crazy lines. Those aren't usually my focus when I'm there, so I can't say much about them, but to be perfectly honest, Disney doesn't really do lame attractions. Some of them just have much longer lines, and they tend to come off as 'not worth the wait'. Everything is fun if you can get in without waiting too long.

For the 'must-see-all-the-THINGSSSS' route:
Pick three or four must-see rides/attractions, and get your fast passes online the night before.  You can only get 2 or 3 (?) and sometimes the one you want is full, so have a backup in mind when you're making your choices.  Plan your day according to what you can get.  Study the park map carefully, so that you can pick the best route to get from one fastpass location to another.  This way of doing things works best when you know the park well, or at least have done your best to memorize the maps! In theory, once you've used a pass, you can then book another at the terminals in the parks, but I've never had any luck there. The terminals can be hard to find, and the slots are all taken if it's busy enough to make having passes essential. For the record, I don't enjoy this way, it's stressful and exhausting rushing around the park, worrying about making it to the next place on time. Bleh.
But, for people who think you only get your money's worth if you see as much as possible as fast as possible, then there you go.

for the 'lets-relax-and-just-enjoy-the-park' route:
Keep an eye on the munchkins, and whenever someone starts to droop or whine, grab a snack at one of the themed restaurants and cafes, or hit up an attraction that lets you sit down. (The Laugh Floor in tomorrowland is great.)
There are also stage performances and musicals at all the parks! (The ones at Animal Kingdom are flat-out AMAZING. Don't miss them if you go!)
There are places that sell seasonally appropriate themed food, which can be really fun.

Disneyworld is awesome, as long you take things at the pace that suits you best. Some of the teenagers may be *MUCH* happier ditching the grownups and canvassing the park in a pack of rampaging vikings, lol. (I personally go from restaurant to restaurant with attractions stuffed in between. I save up a food budget for every visit, and blow it with a smile. ...Dang it, now I'm hungry.)

If you want to ride something without a fast pass, the best time to hit most of the big attractions is during the parades--the lines get much shorter, and in the evening sometimes you can even ride multiple times if you can make it outside and back in again quickly.

Yes, it's crowded, yes it can be stressful, but the key is to remember that it's *your* vacation, and just do whatever makes you happy. If that means raiding Starbucks every time you go past(my friend), or stalking a certain character for a photo(my dad), or taking as many selfies as your phone battery can handle (my neice), or hitting everything that goes faster than is usually advised(my mom), or eating all the things(Me!), then all that matters is that the end of the day, you had a good time.  ^.^

So there, my love letter to Disney, lol.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »
I'm more of a Disneyland oriented girl (I've only been to Disneyworld once, in 2007, but I'm going again next year.)  Here's what I've gleaned.

This is a really helpful website with a lot of tricks and tips, especially for first time park hoppers.

http://www.disneydining.com

My main recommendation is planning ahead. As long as you know what you plan to do, there's less of a chance of stressing out (at least in my case.)  I like staying on property, only because it makes life so much easier.  It's more expensive but you don't have to deal with transportation from your off-site hotel to the parks.  Disney is running some discounts right now, if you go to their website.

I also recommend the dining plan, which you have to pay for in advance.  The cheapest version includes two quick service meals, a snack and a refillable drink.  It can be a lot of food but you don't have to worry about paying for food once you're in the park.  You just show them your band.  :)  There's also a package available right now that includes the hotel and meal plan but you have to stay at least 3 nights on property.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/disney-dining-plan/

You can make dinner reservations 6 months in advance, which you might need if you plan to do dinner anywhere that is popular (such as the Be Our Guest restaurant.)  You can make Fast Pass+ reservations 60 days in advance, provided your staying on property. Prioritize which rides are definite for you and don't worry too much about the ones you miss.  WDW is not a one day trip.  :)

As for the parks themselves, take your time and keep in mind that you're walking a lot.  Magic Kingdom will have the most kid-friendly rides, IMHO.  Epcot has the Frozen ride (you may need to Fastpass this) but there isn't much in Future world.  I know Hollywood Studios is in the midst of renovations and Animal Kingdom tends to close early, so be aware of that.   

That's all I can think of for now, but have a wonderful trip!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 07:00:29 AM »
I went this last January/Feb. Some tips: utilize the fast pass app via mobile. It sucks but it will get you through the lines faster on those key rides that are a must for your family. (Seriously use it on Spaceship Earth at Epcot it was almost an hour wait the day we were there but we had a fastpass)

Make food reservations with the app as well, though I must say the Beast castle was a bit disorganized at lunch time we had to wait in the general line despite having reservations. And the food was overpriced and not up to par with some of the other things we had in the parks. Sleepy Hallow Waffles were a great cheap meal as well as the Pinocchio one.

Pack at least one light jacket/long sleeve shirt. It dropped down to 45 one morning we were there. My photo at the castle I'm in long sleeve! We also camped the whole week at the Disney campgrounds.

Hollywood studios is probably going to be the area that has the most stuff closed right now due to them building star wars land. There wasn't a whole lot to do otherwise when we went other than window shop and see the stunt cars before they tore it down. I'd avoid Star Tours if you get motion sick, it was the worst ride the whole trip IMO.

If you do a day at Disney Springs, Disney Quest was fun but it's an arcade so not everyone's cup of tea.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »
Personally, I would LOVE it if someone offered to take me to Disney World (I used to work there and it really is my favorite place).  Since you'll be going during the "off" season, the lines may not be so bad for you.  I have not used the new fastpass system.  The last time my friends and I went we only had one day to do all four parks so single rider lines were our friend (and I have enough experience with the parks that I can get us through all four parks and ride everything we wanted to ride-including the popular things in one day--I do not recommend this for people who aren't crazy like me).  I have only been to the Magic Kingdom once since they opened the new Fantasyland, so I don't have information on all the rides/attractions there but I will give you what help I can.  As far as I know, this is where you will still be able to meet Mickey and Minnie at the Magic Kingdom, but check when you get there, they might have other locations they meet in as well.

Suggestions for you based on the information you gave us: 

Magic Kingdom (most people refer to this park as Disney World but Disney World is actually the property comprised of the four main parks, two water parks, Downtown Disney and the many resorts and golf courses that Disney owns in that area): Most rides in Fantasyland at The Magic Kingdom are designed for smaller riders so you're less likely to get motion sick.  However, if you're not sure how much you can handle, I recommend riding the People Mover in Tomorrowland to get a feel for the speed of most of those rides.  The People Mover also lets you have a peek inside some of the rides in Tomorrowland like Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin and Space Mountain.  It does go in the dark, but there are some little exhibits that you can only see on the People Mover.   Winnie the Pooh has a portion where you "bounce" with Tigger and it goes up and down a bit, but it's not like a rollercoaster.  It also has a portion where there's a "flood" and the cart moves a bit like if you were floating around.  Peter Pan generally has a long line (people think I'm kidding when I say 75 minutes is a short wait time, I've seen it at 180 minutes and people were STILL getting in line for it).  Use a fast pass for that if you want to ride it or try to catch it first thing in the morning before the line has a chance to get long.  Check back during different times of the day as well, there are lulls in the line sometimes around mealtimes.  If you want to chance a "kiddie" rollercoaster, try Goofy's Barnstormer (I think that one is still there).  It's very slow and the ups and downs aren't bad.  Tom Sawyer's Island in Frontierland usually has very few people on it.  It's basically somewhere that you walk around.  There are caves to "explore" and an old west fort to look at, but if you just need a break from the crowds, that's usually a decent place to manage it.  You do have to take a VERY short ferry ride across the small lagoon to get there but it's a very smooth ride.  Frontierland also has The Country Bear Jamboree, which is a show, not a ride.  It's cute.  It's an older attraction but it's inside and a lot of people usually overlook it.  The Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square is a slow constant-motion ride (it only stops when they're transferring people from wheelchairs).  It's also in the dark and may be scary for some smaller children but there are no sudden drops or anything like that.  Ghosts do pop up from behind things, though.  The Hall of Presidents is also an overlooked attraction, which given that you don't like crowds, might be an okay choice.  It's educational, though and it's not really something that would probably keep your daughter's attention. But it also has some nice details if you look close enough.  The Franklin Roosevelt animatronic actually has braces on his legs, for example.  Heading over to Adventureland there's the Tiki Room, which is a show.  Pirates of the Caribbean is over there, it's a boat ride with one small drop right at the beginning.  Also in Adventureland is The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, which is a walkthrough thing, so keep that in mind.  Aladdin's carpets are like the Dumbo ride, you get to decide how much up and down you do but it goes in a circle.  There is usually a show on the Castle Stage, so check into that, though depending on the day the crowds might be more than you want to deal with. The Monster's Inc Laugh Floor can be a lot of fun, too.  It's an interactive show so it's different every time you go in.  A lot of the obscure characters show up in the parades but check with a cast member to see if there are any doing photos/autographs that day. They have a character hotline they can check with to see who is doing meet and greets and where.  I have pictures with Friar Tuck, Honest John, and Uncle Scrooge so it's not all newer/popular characters. 

EPCOT:  Mission Space has two settings.  One side is a lot less intense (I've never ridden that side so I don't know how bad it is) but the intense side uses spinning to simulate the gravitational pull.  I do not recommend that side for you if you decide to try it.  The Test Track is like riding in a car (because you're "test-driving" it), but you don't get to drive.  Last time I was there I think the outside portion got up to about 84 mph, but it is not that speed for the whole ride, just the speed portion of the "test".  The Seas with Nemo is pretty neat.  There is a slow ride (like the Haunted Mansion), but you don't have to ride the ride if you don't want to.  You can just go in the back way (by the shop) and get in to look at the aquariums.  There are dolphins, sharks, manatees and loads of different kinds of fish. There are movies in the different countries, so those might be a good place to go to get away from a lot of crowds (I'll admit that I took a short nap during the France one--in my defense I was super exhausted that day).  But be on the lookout for outside acts.  There's a mime in France, living sculptures in Italy, drummers in Japan, and tumblers in China.  Also, there is usually a band playing in the American Pavilion.  If you get a chance, check out the Voices of Liberty in the America Pavilion.  They're amazing!  The countries are also a place to meet some of the obscure characters.  You can meet Marie (Aristocats) in France, Mary Poppins in the UK, and Panchito and Jose Carioca in Mexico.  There is also a ride inside of the Mexico pavilion.  It's a boat and moves slowly like "it's a small world".  I have no idea what they did to the ride in Norway now that it's Frozen themed.  I haven't been since they updated that.

Disney Hollywood Studios (formerly MGM Studios):  Toy Story Mania is pretty awesome, I'm not gonna lie.  It combines a ride with a 3D video game, so you may want to decide if it's worth chancing motion sickness on.  It usually has a long line and fast passes are not easy to get for it.  If you're going to do it, get to the park early and get there first.  Rockin' Rollercoaster goes from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and has two loops and a barrel roll.  I don't know how your husband feels about roller coasters but if he's looking for one that's fast, that one is it.  You might enjoy The Great Movie Ride.  It's a slow moving ride that takes a look at some of the old classics like Casablanca and Wizard of Oz.  Star Tours is not one I recommend if you get motion sick.  The Muppets have a 3-D show that's cute.  There's a little playground area based on Honey I Shrunk the Kids that's good if your daughter has excess energy and you need a little break.  Fantasmic is an awesome show.  Yes, it's in a huge amphitheater and it usually fills up, but at the end is a boat with a lot of characters that you can't find anywhere else, like Steamboat Willie.  It has pyrotechnics and a lot of fun special effects.

Animal Kingdom:  My grandfather is also not a fan of crowds or a lot of rides and Animal Kingdom was his FAVORITE.  As someone else said, catch the Safari in Africa (I used to drive that one).  How bumpy it is really depends on the driver, so I can't give you any guarantees there.  But the animals are REAL (no those mating antelope are NOT animatronic-but I think you won't be there during the mating season so that shouldn't be an issue) and sometimes the baby giraffes will come up and lick their reflections in the mirrors on the trucks.  They're SOOOoooooo cute!  There is also a walkthrough trail with gorillas and other animals.  You can take the train up to the Conservation Station.  I met Jiminy Cricket up there and there is also a petting zoo with (mostly) goats.  It's Tough to Be a Bug is a 3-D show with the characters from A Bug's Life, so if you're squeamish at the thought of spiders, moths, or bees, you might want to consider carefully if you can handle this one (even though they're animated some people have issues with them still).  In Asia there is a water ride that can be a little rough and you will not come out of it dry.  So if it's cold, consider carefully when (if) you want to do that one.  There is also a walkthrough area with tigers, komodo dragons and tapirs.  There are also bats, but there is an option to just go around that area if they freak you out.  Around the Tree of Life there is another walkway with kangaroos and other animals.  Between Asia and Dinoland USA there is a theater.  Last time I was there they were showing Finding Nemo the Musical, which is really cute.  I don't know if that is still there or if they're doing something new yet.  Dinoland USA is kind of kitschy.  There are carnival rides/games in one area but next to it is a "jungle" with statues of different dinosaurs and then there is the Dinosaur Ride.  That one can be a bit scary for smaller ones.  I think my recommendation for that one would be to have your husband (or someone else who knows how much you can handle) ride it first and let you know if they think you can handle it.  That might not be a bad idea on any ride that you think you want to ride but aren't sure about.  The Jammin Jungle Parade is a lot of fun.  Usually you can meet Baloo and King Louie at the Animal Kingdom.  I've also met Flik and Atta and Koda and Kenei there. 

Other things to keep in mind:  Each park has a First Aid Station where you can rest if you need to.  I think you can also get certain over the counter medicines there so if you run out of medicine, that might be a good place to look (I have no idea how expensive it will be, though).

Hidden Mickeys: This can be a fun activity that doesn't necessarily require you to be in line to find.  Yes, some of them are only found in the lines but there are Hidden Mickeys everywhere.  You can buy a book to help you hunt them down or you can ask Cast Members if they know of any nearby.  There is a Hidden Donald in the Haunted Mansion and also one on the Kilimanjaro Safari.  There is a Hidden Baloo somewhere in the Animal Kingdom as well. 

Almost every ride is going to let you out in a shop.  It's just the way it's designed so expect it and it probably won't annoy you as much.  If you do decide to buy things and don't want to carry them around all day, you can either shop on the way out or ask about package pickup.  There are also lockers for rent but that is an additional cost, so keep that in mind. If you're staying at a Disney resort, they can send the stuff up to your room (this can take up to 48 hours, though, so keep that in mind near the end of your stay).  But you can always have them send it up to the front of the park to be picked up on your way out.  I think this service stops two hours before the park closes because it can take up to two hours for your items to get to the pickup spot.

As far as taking in your own food goes, there is a size limit for how big your cooler can be.  But if you want to take in sandwiches, drinks and snacks, that's okay.  Also keep in mind that you can ask at any of the food counters for a glass of ice water and it is free.  If I'm going to buy food, I look at the kids options because a kid's size hamburger is going to be the same size as an adult hamburger, it usually comes with fewer fries or fruit but it's generally cheaper.  And even though I have no kids, they never demand to see my children before letting me buy it.

And don't forget your sunscreen.  It might be January but it is still Florida and if you burn as easily as I do, you'll want it.  A light jacket might be a good idea as well.  Evenings can get fairly cool.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
Looks like you have some great advice!! I'm more of a Disneyland expert, so I don't see much I could add that isn't already here.

Have tons of fun though! :)

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
I love love Disney World...but almost no matter when you go there will be lines, crowds and long wait times.
I would recommend really planning out each day ahead of time - schedule your fast passes, plan where you will eat, and what events you don't want to miss.
This way you'll have an idea of how long you want to spend at each park. Animal Kingdom is always the least crowded and its so "jungly" that the crowds don't seem to be as obvious.
Since you get motion sick, there are a few different modes of transport. You can take the buses to all the parks. But you can also take the Monorail from Epcot to Magic Kingdom. For rides there are so many options now that you shouldn't have any trouble finding a few you can enjoy too!

If you're staying at a park resort let me know and I can recommend a few hotels, we've been to a lot :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I have been driving myself insane with the amount of planning that is having to go into this.  Did I mention I LIKE to vacation by just flying someplace and figuring it out along the way?  hahahaha

I think it will be really interesting to see how much has changed and NOT changed since last I remember.  There's a family tradition photo that has to be taken at Epcot if I can find the spot by the fountain! 

I doubt we will be going to Animal Kingdom unless it's for a restaurant.  We've pretty much burnt ourselves out on wild animals now that we have had a Calgary Zoo membership for the last 6 years. 

But there are a bunch of things that are going to be closed so that's annoying.  Swiss Family Robinson!  Tom Sawyer!  Country Jamboree!  Tiki Room!  It's a Small World!  The Steamboat, the Railroads.... Most of Hollywood - except we only wanted to see the Walt Disney bio  (closed!) and the Muppets.  I cannot believe the macro playground from Honey! I Shrunk the Kids is still there...

We want to stay at the Port New Orleans Riverside hotel if anyone has ever been there...  my child LOVES sushi and I have found 22 Asian restaurants so far...  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:09:46 PM »

But there are a bunch of things that are going to be closed so that's annoying.  Swiss Family Robinson!  Tom Sawyer!  Country Jamboree!  Tiki Room!  It's a Small World!  The Steamboat, the Railroads.... Most of Hollywood - except we only wanted to see the Walt Disney bio  (closed!) and the Muppets.  I cannot believe the macro playground from Honey! I Shrunk the Kids is still there...

We want to stay at the Port New Orleans Riverside hotel if anyone has ever been there...  my child LOVES sushi and I have found 22 Asian restaurants so far...  :)

Jeez that's more closed than this last Feb! We were talking about going again before my other half's military ID expires. As for sushi, we went to Morimoto Asia at Disney and I was NOT impressed. You could tell the fish quality was good but it was served room temperature and I'm used to nigiri cold out of the coolers when it comes to the fish. I'm very touchy to temperature on fish/rice though.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I have been driving myself insane with the amount of planning that is having to go into this.  Did I mention I LIKE to vacation by just flying someplace and figuring it out along the way?  hahahaha

I think it will be really interesting to see how much has changed and NOT changed since last I remember.  There's a family tradition photo that has to be taken at Epcot if I can find the spot by the fountain! 

I doubt we will be going to Animal Kingdom unless it's for a restaurant.  We've pretty much burnt ourselves out on wild animals now that we have had a Calgary Zoo membership for the last 6 years. 

I have stayed at Port Orleans in the French Quarter and it is pretty nice! The bonus is you can take the riverboat to Downtown Disney I believe, which is awesome!
For sushi I would maybe check out the places at Downtown Disney. I haven't eaten at Japan in Epcot in years, but I think its more like a Benihana type restaurant.

Also ALOT has changed. Just between my first trip in 2002 and the last one in 2015, so much has been added and taken away. The new areas of Magic Kingdom are awesome! I would just go expecting things to be different, or closed, and just enjoy everything you end up finding :)

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
So glad this topic was raised, thank you! My husband just started working for a company based in Florida and suggested taking our children to Disney World soon. I never thought we would be able to go before the girls were older ( figured I would take them alone, as DH hates crowds and marketing as well!)

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal