collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suggestions to help my overweight pup?  (Read 1463 times)

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Suggestions to help my overweight pup?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 08:21:21 PM »
Since she small (or supposed to be) wet food wont be too expensive and it's really a lot better for dogs than dry. Much less carbs (which makes them fat anyway) and easier to digest, eat, and way more tasty to dogs. I'd recommend something like Lotus canned dog food, or really anything thats got nothing like rice, or potato in it. She'll lose weight in no time.

Post Merge: October 11, 2016, 08:24:15 PM

You should take a pic of her now, and in like a month or two post a before and after shot on here, I'd love to see! haha
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:24:15 PM by Kanchii »

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 09:11:21 PM »
For her skin get an oatmeal shampoo and give her luke warm baths. You can also add baking soda to her bath water. make sure to get down in those creases clean.

You can put zinc cream (diaper rash cream) in the creases after her bath. Its gentle and soothing for her skin. I like Walmarts `parents choice`zinc cream as its got the highest zinc content for the best price.

As for losing the weight, you are doing the right thing. Feed for her target weight, exercise and hydrotherapy if you can manage it. If your tub is deep enough, fill it until she cant touch bottom and hold her in place around her ribs. Most dogs will swim even though they are not getting anywhere.

Bananas are a good treat that are gentle on her stomach and easy on the waist line.  If she will eat them. You can feed them fresh or freeze them and cut into chunks.

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »
Girl, I feel you. I adopted an Australian cattle dog in January who is also overweight (not by THAT much though). I'm in a FB group for the breed and everyone else's dogs are running around like loons, lean and slick and here I am, with my dog who looks like an uncooked sausage roll when she's laying down.

We switched her to a food with pumpkin in it, 2 cups a day, but since she doesn't like to move much (she's supposedly 5 years old) the weight isn't coming off too quickly. But, she's happy with her life, so I'm happy with her.

Green beans are a great snack! Carrots too, but Butters turns her nose up at them. She's spoiled.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence
Silver Shy Ref Autine Ref

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »
It sounds like you're doing the right things so far and she will gradually drop the weight. :)

I agree that a wheat-free dry food would be best, perhaps a fish-based one would help provide the oils to ease her joints too. Being in the UK I can't advise on specific brands, but I'm sure you can find a decent mid-price food with a bit of research. Personally I think Hills etc are overpriced tosh but that's another convo! ;) 

Green beans and carrots are very popular low fat snacks in our house too but I can see that some dogs might be less impressed than mine.

I was also going to suggest nappy rash/zinc cream for the sore skin, it works wonders if mine get a rash or irritation...but only apply to areas you know she can't lick.  :P

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline cuddlebuggy

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
I had a lab who became overweight after her son passed away from heatstroke. We switched her to Wellness food and the vet also said to give frozen green beans because it would take her longer to eat them and fresh carrots for filling her up without too many calories. While wellness is a bit more pricy it took a lot less food than cheaper brands.
The most important thing is to read the label and look for meat as the first ingredient with no corn, wheat or soy which are common allergens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Whippetluv for my sig representing my two girls!

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 05:40:30 PM »
We feed two of our dogs the weight control science diet and the other three get small dog wellness brand food. I don't think either is the most expensive food, and all our dogs are healthy.

You can get the "No salt added" canned green beans and peas and add them to her food. Pure pumpkin from the canned foods aisle is a good little treat on her food too. Carrots are great too.

I think you're doing all the right things :). Just give it time!

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 02:07:40 PM »
I feed my dogs Science Diet Senior Dog Food (for small dogs), and it has been really good for regulating their weight. One of my dogs has an extremely sensitive stomach (I don't think it's possible to be more sensitive than she is -- she used to throw up and/or have diarrhea almost every day). I used to feed her Science Diet Sensitive Stomach food, but I find that the Senior diet works better (and it's easier to feed both of my dogs the same thing). I also give her a famotidine pill (she takes half of a 10 mg pill, meaning she takes 5 mg -- and my dog is a 10 lb. poodle, though you may want to check with your vet before deciding how much to give to your dog) every night before bed. This helps her sensitive stomach and keeps her from throwing up and stuff. I have found that giving your dog the exact same amount of food, and the exact same food, every single day is the best way to control weight.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »
I haven't had an overweight dog, but I did know of a dog who was allergic to everything. She ate only canned veggies for dinner. I think the most common were green beans.
You might be able to try mixing those with some other brands of food to create a lower calorie choice? My only other suggestion is obviously smaller portions.
Our older dog used to get 1/2 a can of wet food once a day and was a bit on the chunky side. Our new dog gets 1/3 of a can and she's in better shape. I also know you didn't make your dog fat, so its hard to know what kind of diet she was on before :)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 08:36:52 PM »
Thanks everyone! I realized I hadn't checked in for a while here.  The vet had me cut her calorie and food intake to about half the weight she is now and will decrease as she loses weight. He suggested I go with a regular food and not a weight regulation to see if she could lose r more naturally.  She is eating a mostly meat based food and while I know it's early to see much changes I think she is acting better.  She seemed very confused about affection and while she isn't an overly lovey dog I can tell someone did love on her once.  She has started coming to the door when I get home and gives me kisses. She follows me around the house more instead of just sleeping for hours and wants to be with me or the girlfriend. She gets a little whimpers if I leave a room and shut the door.  She is spending time with the other dogs and is generally just a sweet girl.  She loves walking outside and while it takes a while she is the last one that wants to go indoors. I feel like at one point she was well loved and care for and at some point was forgotten. She has a forever home here though and hoping to take her by the vets office to weigh again soon on a weekend.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »
My dog lost 13 lbs. When we adopted him he weighed 42 lbs, then he got up to 53 lbs. Combination my mistakes and the lady at doggy daycare was filling him with treats all day every day. The vet said he has to lose weight or else we're gonna lose him. It took a couple years - he lost about 6 lbs one year and 6 lbs the next. Now he's at 39 lbs and the vet would like to see him at 37.  We cut out lots of treats and people food. Worked with the vet to determine the exact amount of food he needed. when he started losing was when we switched him to senior formula dog food (from Orijen Regional Red - to same brand senior formula). Continued walks twice a day. Fewer treats was hard because he's such a beggar. Switched him to carrots, sometimes with peanut butter and he's just as happy with a veggie.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2016, 01:28:44 PM »
I am glad there are some improvements and she is now in a loving home again. It makes me sad that it's apparent she was loved once and forgotten. But we can celebrate she will have a happy and healthy rest of her life.

I am actually trying to get my Chihuahua, Lola, to lose about 6 or so pounds (I know that sounds like a lot of a Chihuahua but she's a large Chi and I think she's actually a mix). I finally found a DOG FOOD she will eat, as I have been a bad owner and have been feeding her lunchmeat for like a year. I figured it was time to stop this and get her on the right track. I got some Royal Canin samples from the vet and she really seems to enjoy it and seems more energetic than normal.
I would like to take her on walks but she's good at wiggling out of her harness and I live somewhat close to a busy highway. I'd be mortified if she got hit by a car. Maybe I need to find a better harness for her.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

rolllerblades

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2016, 06:08:27 AM »
If you still want to knock the canned food out of her diet you could try using a need or chicken stock to soften her food instead.

Also eggs make the perfect occasional teat for dogs. They're on the cheaper side, taste good, and have many nice health benefits

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal