collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Suggestions to help my overweight pup?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Suggestions to help my overweight pup?
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
I made a post in WYP about her, but this topic side of it is more positive and seeing if anyone has good information. I don't want this to turn into a debate. I actually tried a few FB groups but of course everyone posted and went nuts.

Anyway if you haven't seen My WYP post thshe short version is I adopted a dog last week, - schnoodle that looks similar to MTV suki that passed away last year.  The problem is she is extremely overweight.  The vet says she should weight 16 pounds and she weighs 36.

She got all her shots and is negative for Heart worms and had her thyroid checked.  It was determined it's just being overweight.  We are going to the vet next Saturday as my vet doesn't work hours o can go when I have work. I've only talked with him some over the phone.

She has a lot of trouble standing and walking so the vet advised we let her set her own pace and we walk a few times a day till she is tired.  A few things I need help with.

I can tell she isn't used to eating dog food and is being picky. I'm having to mix wet food with dry to kinda make her eat dry food. She is older so I'm going to have the vet check her teeth and make sure the crunchy food isn't hurting her to eat.  He suggested for now purina or science diet.

I thought I would ask you guys if anyone has had any luck with a good senior dog food with a sensitive tummy food?  I would need a dry and wet food combo I could mix for a while. Also, not to sound awful but I would prefer one mid range price.  I mean not the absolute most expensive but not the cheapest just filler food either. Something inbetween and since he suggested purina has anyone had any particular luck with one for their senior dogs?

Also, she is so large it's hard for her to stand or reach certain parts of her body. I noticed some of the fat rolls of skin on her underside were red and irritated almost like bed sores but no actual sores just irritated skin.  Is there something I could put on them for her?

Thanks everyone for any help you can give and please try to stay positive and constructive not rude. ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions to help my overweight pup?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
you can use vitamin A&D cream(plain, unscented) on the sore areas if the skin isn't broken; usually it's with the baby supplies?  And if she isn't scared of water, swimming might be good for exercising her, it'll support her weight and let her build up some muscle so she *can* walk better. :)

Our roommates' overweight black lab was put on Iams weight control, it's done amazing for him!  I don't know if there is a wet version, but the kibble is what he eats now.  The big bag(20 lbs) runs about $30, but since he only gets 3 cups a day, that lasts about 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 10:00:08 PM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:29:17 AM »
Do not use a weight control food. Just feed less of whatever good quality food it is. For a 16 lb dog you should not be feeding a lot. We have been feeding victor through chewy.com . I took 20 plus pounds off my dads lab with it. If they act like they are starving feed unsalted green beans as snacks or even in the food as filler. People never want to hear just feed less. Best thing to do but they feel mean. Spread many small meals across the day if needed. Don't free feed. Don't coddle her to eat.

Swimming is good exercise if joints are bad.

Diamond(naturals)has grain free options at tsc that are cheap to. Gonna do more to take the weight off and keep her trim.

If skin is irritated I would not feed an Iams or science diet food. Full of fillers.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:31:43 AM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:41:37 AM »
I can't advise on the senior side but as far as the sensitive tummy goes, I sympathise as our greyhound boy is extremely sensitive and it took us a good few months to find something that suited him without his backside ending up on fire (Sorry if thats TMI!)

I'd advise something really bland, chicken is good.  Our boy has a complete good quality dry food (Check they are not wheat based as dogs can't actually digest it and it just fills the food out without being of any benefit for the dog) and pet mince, again good quality from a local pet food place

Hope you get on top of her weight problems soon

Post Merge: October 10, 2016, 04:45:05 AM

As far as the fussy eating goes, I would advise tough love.  I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but we've found it the best way.  Put her food down, if she turns her nose up then after say 10 minutes take it up and give her nothing again til the next mealtime. No treats, nothing.  She will no doubt make you feel like a bad dog Mum but it does work, dogs wont starve themselves!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:45:05 AM by Tracks »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 05:20:21 AM »
Ok guys seriously I'm not giving this dog treats or snacks.  Even with the can and mixing dry food I've only been feeding her the amount of them together that it says she should weigh for, younknow the 16 pounds. I repeat I'm not the one that made her fat and my dogs are a healthy weight.  My concern is finding a good middle ground prices food for sensitive tummy and a senior dog. I haven't been feeding her weight management. I'm just literally overwhelmed with all the he many types of food that I "could" feed her and what would be the easiest on her. My dogs have eaten Iams for years and they both just get the proper amount each day and are healthy.  I've never had an overweight dog so it's different for me.

She is eating the recommended amount and we are walking as exercise everyday. I have only had her four days.  :lol:  I know it will take lots of work I just want to make sure what I feed her either 1) doesn't make it worse and 2) doesn't hurt her sensitive stomach or is hard to digest because of her needs due to age. Believe me I know how to say no, even though she waddled around following me for treats and extra. I'm not that nice,  not when the poor. Any can hardly walk.  I don't give in easily, 'attest of fact between my girlfriend and I I'm the one that trains them ect. She is too soft and does want to give too many treats ect when she is here:

Formerly Maddie

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
I've had dogs live to 17 and never fed a senior food. It's just advertising. The good foods have what you would want in it anyway.

In most sr foods they have more filler and charge more and have just some low levels of joint supplement already present in other foods or you could give in a cheap pill.

I saw your other post, know you just got her! Lol! But it's not hard. Just reduce. Vets try to sell you on diet this and that. Just reduce intake of good food.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:14:16 AM by joce »
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:28:19 AM »
1. Feed less
2. Walk more
3. Be patient

As far as the fussy eating goes, I would advise tough love.  I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but we've found it the best way.  Put her food down, if she turns her nose up then after say 10 minutes take it up and give her nothing again til the next mealtime. No treats, nothing.  She will no doubt make you feel like a bad dog Mum but it does work, dogs wont starve themselves!

Agree.

I've had dogs live to 17 and never fed a senior food. It's just advertising. The good foods have what you would want in it anyway.

This is good advice too! Never thought of that. But it makes sense- the two vets I see have never recommended switching to senior food for my older cat and greyhound. They are happy with the foods I feed them. (Acana Lamb and Apple for the dogs)

So that's my advise- feed the highest quality food you can afford. Something grain free. Even an $80 bag of dog food, broken down per day, is probably not more than $1-$2 PER DAY to feed your (should be a) 16 pound dog. Well worth it! Wish I could feed myself for $2/day!

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
Ok guys seriously I'm not giving this dog treats or snacks.  Even with the can and mixing dry food I've only been feeding her the amount of them together that it says she should weigh for, younknow the 16 pounds. I repeat I'm not the one that made her fat and my dogs are a healthy weight.  My concern is finding a good middle ground prices food for sensitive tummy and a senior dog. I haven't been feeding her weight management. I'm just literally overwhelmed with all the he many types of food that I "could" feed her and what would be the easiest on her. My dogs have eaten Iams for years and they both just get the proper amount each day and are healthy.  I've never had an overweight dog so it's different for me.

She is eating the recommended amount and we are walking as exercise everyday. I have only had her four days.  :lol:  I know it will take lots of work I just want to make sure what I feed her either 1) doesn't make it worse and 2) doesn't hurt her sensitive stomach or is hard to digest because of her needs due to age. Believe me I know how to say no, even though she waddled around following me for treats and extra. I'm not that nice,  not when the poor. Any can hardly walk.  I don't give in easily, 'attest of fact between my girlfriend and I I'm the one that trains them ect. She is too soft and does want to give too many treats ect when she is here:

Sounds like your doing all the right things - she's a lucky dog to have found you  :biggrin:

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »
I'd definitely second the idea of having her start swimming if she can.

The only other thing I haven't seen mentioned for her skin (although I'm betting you're already doing it) is to make sure they stay clean. Anything that builds up between the fat rolls will cause additional irritation.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
If she has a major issue with her tummy you could try a limited ingredient food.  I only know about Natural Balance LID for cats since I don't have dogs, but my Slick is allergic/sensitive to EVERYTHING and this food is perfect for him.  A 10lb bag of it is about $23 but I think they make bigger sizes for dogs. 

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:00:02 AM »
Thanks, I honestly don't give treats much anyway and substitute with affection.  My first dog that was the Acnauzer when I hadn't had her long got in the trash and ate left over people food. She started getting sick and I cannot remember what happened exactly now but she had to stay at the vets and was puking blood ect. It was awful, so all my pets kinda stay to a strict diet.  I'm at home with a migraine so I'll have to shop tomorrow.

Hmm I don't really know of a place she could swim indoors that isn't people only and most swimming areas are closed this time of year. Might ask my vet if he knows anything. My vet is actually pretty straight forward on everything. It's just the one that is his partner I have to worry about.

Can you buy any sort of green beans in a can that aren't full of salt or other stuff? I need things I can microwave as I don't cook at all.

Thanks everyone, sorry for a minute I took it as I was being accused of over feeding her. Guess I'm tired and sensitive after being attacked on the FB groups. >_<

Formerly Maddie

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 09:09:59 AM »
The Acana Lamb and apple we feed is limited ingredient. It's a high quality food manufactured in Canada (where the pet food standards are higher)

For fun, I did some math:

Guidelines for ~16lb dog suggest to feed ~100 grams per day = 0.22 pounds per day (around 3/4 cup)
The large bags are 25 pounds, so feeding .22 pounds the bag would last 113.6 days
At $80 per bag, that's ONLY $0.70 per day!

I'll never understand why people feed their pets cheap "grocery store" pet food...

https://acana.com/our-foods/singles/lamb-apple/?lang=usa

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Can you buy any sort of green beans in a can that aren't full of salt or other stuff? I need things I can microwave as I don't cook at all.

I get frozen green beans for myself that aren't full of salt and other stuff. Maybe you can find some microwavable frozen ones? I know mine rarely get cooked outside the microwave, and there are microwave instructions on the bag.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »
You can microwave fresh green beans ; just add about .5 cup of water and cook until the water evaporates... no actual cooking skillz required :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
There are canned, no salt added green beans; its what we get for ourselves (my mom prefers canned over frozen)

Since she's only supposed to weigh 16 lbs, will she fit in the bathtub? Even if she cant swim in it, just walking back and forth in water might be good, warm water can help with aches and pains too.  With her being so overweight, Im sure she has a lot of those.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:16:18 AM by lunar_scythe »
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal