collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any good thrift stores in CA?  (Read 760 times)

S.o.a.r.

• Trade Count: (0)
Any good thrift stores in CA?
« on: October 05, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
So, in 89 days I will finally be going to California again. This time it's San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego in January. There seems to be alot easier to find old G1's in thrift stores in the US, so I'm hoping to find some bargains myself. Is there any particular thrift stores in these areas that are worth visiting? :)

cannibalism

Re: Any good thrift stores in CA?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:56:38 PM »
there's about a bajillion Goodwill's in California, i usually have pretty good luck there. Other good checks are salvation armies, and any LOCAL thrift stores. So places that aren't chains. I don't know LA or SD that well, but i DO know that san francisco has antique and thrift stores All over the place! There's lots of good finds if you go just out of the city and explore some neighboring towns and areas, more likely where middle-class families and kids are going to be- and thus where the stores are that they're going to donate their toys to. I'm from more inland than SF so i can't really speak to the bay area that well, but i know not too far away (about a 2 hour drive) there's antique stores Everywhere, and tons of antique malls. In my experience, most antique stores don't know what they have unless it's boxed, so toys go pretty cheap!
good luck hunting, and welcome to california : D

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip! :) I'll add them to my list so I don't forget. ^.^

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:28:14 AM »
Good luck! I never have G1 luck at thrift shops, but occasionally get lucky at antique malls. I'd suggest maybe looking at local "garage sale" apps while you're there, too. I've had some luck on those as well (I found a small lot on one that I'm picking up after work today, in fact!)

The ones I use are 5 Mile, CPlus (Craigslist), Letgo, and Varage Sale, but there are others as well. A lot of the time people have things cross-posted on multiple apps.  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Kanchii

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »
I've only found a couple G1's in thrift shops in CA myself but you never know! Hope you enjoy CA when you visit! Hit me up if you need anything or just want to hang out while you're in LA!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 10:06:44 PM »
my main pony hunting places are the flea markets near me here in the central valley:  Turlock, CA has a Tuesday one, and there's a weekend(Fri-Sun) one in Ceres, too. :)  The Turlock one, in particular, has had a lot of G1s turn up over the years, if I go each week, I find them at least once a month!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:25:37 AM »
Good luck! I never have G1 luck at thrift shops, but occasionally get lucky at antique malls. I'd suggest maybe looking at local "garage sale" apps while you're there, too. I've had some luck on those as well (I found a small lot on one that I'm picking up after work today, in fact!)

The ones I use are 5 Mile, CPlus (Craigslist), Letgo, and Varage Sale, but there are others as well. A lot of the time people have things cross-posted on multiple apps.  ^.^
Ah yes, I'm hoping to attend quite a few garage sales since they might have some hidden treasures... ^.^

I've only found a couple G1's in thrift shops in CA myself but you never know! Hope you enjoy CA when you visit! Hit me up if you need anything or just want to hang out while you're in LA!
Yeah, I'm not counting on finding tons of ponies but even if I only find one G1 (even one that I might aready have) I'm a happy girl! ^.^ And this will be my fourth CA visit; I just can't get enough!

my main pony hunting places are the flea markets near me here in the central valley:  Turlock, CA has a Tuesday one, and there's a weekend(Fri-Sun) one in Ceres, too. :)  The Turlock one, in particular, has had a lot of G1s turn up over the years, if I go each week, I find them at least once a month!
Oooh, interesting! I'll definitely add Turlock to my list!  :biggrin:

cannibalism

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 12:33:59 AM »
oh, Sebastepol has a great flea market, not too far from SF!

S.o.a.r.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »
oh, Sebastepol has a great flea market, not too far from SF!
Oooh, good to know! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal