collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mousecapades!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Mousecapades!
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
I'm totally amused by my current situation (for now!) so I had to find someone to share my story with.

I live in a basement apartment. When I first moved in here six years ago with my cats, no one had lived down there for years and I discovered there were some mice living in the basement. I discovered this because my cats would bring them to me alive to show me proudly that they were good hunters, lol. I always took the mice from them and brought them far out into the woods behind the house and let them go. After a few times doing this, the mice stopped appearing in the basement because, I figured, they were smart enough to realize cats now lived down there, with a human.

Six years passed and we never saw more mice, but this year they have returned, with gusto! Now that the nights are getting colder, in the past three weeks I've already rescued four of them.

Sadly I lost my older cat, Kohaku, last February. But Mango, my younger girl, is doing very well catching mice all on her own and runs right to my bedroom to drop them in front of me when she catches them. She's very proud, lol. She gets so confused when I pick up the poor stunned critter with a tissue, and then she spends several minutes looking all over the floor for where it could have gone (despite watching me pick up the mouse! she's not the brightest crayon in the box...).

Last night was the coup de grace. I was awoken at 3AM by a loud squeaking and then a weight on my chest as Mango jumped up on me on the bed and DROPPED A LIVE MOUSE ON MY CHEST. :P Thanks, Mango! It's a good thing me and the mouse were both equally stunned, and that I recovered first and scooped him up in the sheet before he realized he could run away.

Honestly I find mice to be adorable so I don't mind this too much, but I swear this cat is going to find out how I quickly I go from amused to pissy if she starts throwing dead presents on me in my sleep instead of live ones!  :P Meanwhile I hope this generation of mice catch on quick and stop coming in the house. We're trying to figure out how they get in so we can block up the entrances, but it's a very old house so there's a lot of places they could be coming through.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Mousecapades!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:32:58 AM »
Well...it's the thought that counts anyway. Poor mousey. Also eww.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:35:48 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
I think your kitty thinks you don't eat.  Its her responsibility to care for you...and that's how she does it ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »
Oh dear!  At least she didn't wake you up by peeing on your face (which happened to a co-worker of mine this week), though I'm not really sure which one is worse!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:09:03 PM »
Wow, and the cat doesn't kill them? My parents' cats catch at least two every day in summer, but most of them are already dead. Occasionally they release one in the living room for my parents to play with. Mom uses a live trap to catch them.

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 05:31:38 AM »
You need an extra employee that works for his dinner :)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 08:14:31 AM »
I think your kitty thinks you don't eat.  Its her responsibility to care for you...and that's how she does it ;)

She thinks I need to eat in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping, apparently. XD

Oh dear!  At least she didn't wake you up by peeing on your face (which happened to a co-worker of mine this week), though I'm not really sure which one is worse!

0.0 I think that one is worse.

Wow, and the cat doesn't kill them? My parents' cats catch at least two every day in summer, but most of them are already dead. Occasionally they release one in the living room for my parents to play with. Mom uses a live trap to catch them.

She's a bit too dim to figure out how to kill them, I think. LOL. She's sweet but, well, once she crawled into a cat carrier that was on top of a stack of boxes and knocked it off the stack and it flipped upside down and she got trapped inside and couldn't figure out how to back out of it...  ^^; She's a doofus, but she's my fluff butt. As long as she just continues to think they are little toys for her to play with, and brings them to me so I can take them outside, I don't mind. lol.

I'm glad your mom uses a live trap! :D
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »
My cat did the same once, I told them not on the bed, so they hopped off then killed it.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
My cat is terrified of them - he runs to meow at me, "Mommy, there's a mouse!  Do something!"
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
My cats both love mice for different reasons. The house I grew up in had quite a few of them. It was super old and like a perfect little hideaway for them.

Oscuro will actually guard and protect the mouse. He will pick it up and walk it somewhere away from the other cats and let it hide behind his legs. He then hisses at anyone who approaches. He even gets testy with my if I try to interfere with his little mouse buddy. He's only ever hissed in two circumstances and this is one of them.

Pixie on the other hand doesn't kill them. They're just her plaything. She likes to chase the little thing. Pick it up, and then the problem I have is she likes to throw them high up in the air. She came very close on a few occasions to throwing a live mouse in my bed with me. Good thing the three cats were loud when after a mouse so I could wake up to catch it. I started off putting them outside but my mom decided she didn't like that because "they'll just come back in".

Not long before that though my mom had a cat named Simba. He was a really good mouser, except that... well maybe the crime scenes he left are bit too much information...

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 09:08:34 AM »
When Hexe and Kitty was alive; Kitty didn't start mousing until teens and my Hubby believe because he tired find mouse in his dry food bowl eating HIS dry food. Kitty started bring the mice to me and husband alive by try drop in our bed at night; Actually one time he drop in my husband snoring mouth. Then Kitty move to killing them and eating everything excepted heads I discover when I pull out mouse head from washing machine while I doing laundry. One could say our close is now "squeak clean"! Please note we have a farm and mice common battle... poison must be place area critters can not reach and very differcult use some traps around some critters special goats; imagine trying to get sticky or snap kill trap off a goat. We had wild Ermines (small weasel) natural keep mice in check until they pass away.
Kitty pass sever yrs ago deeply missed.  My Maine coon Mix and siamese mix cats simple tend to play with any daring young mice until one our dogs discover and eats it. Special Kyla our Corgi she loves naked baby mice/rats when she comes across in our fields she digs up eats like candy.
We have barn Cat who loves kill both mice and rats and we leave on dead daily bases on our steps.
I will say I miss wild Fox we had come hunt mice in barn and fields and never bother any critters but sadly someone kill it because it was a FOX and thought after our birds.
Me and My husband only kill when its nessary whether its food or because killing/carry diseases infect others.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
My other half's roommate woke us up last year yelling. The other roommate's cat had dropped a half eaten mouse into his sleeping open mouth!  :X  I'm so glad we keep the door closed at nighttime.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 07:27:13 PM »
Hahaha that's quite a present your kitty is bringing you!

We don't have any mice issues with our new house, but we did have some at our old house from time to time. The kitties were pretty good at catching them. Our chihuahua actually caught one once! Lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal