collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Odd Printer Problem  (Read 407 times)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Odd Printer Problem
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:46:02 PM »
When I got to work today, I found that Windows apparently did some updates over the weekend. Now, I can't print. When I go to print a page, my printer is no longer listed in the drop-down list of items. Instead, a new program PDF Complete is listed as the default printer. I went into the list of printers and devices in the Control Panel, and found my printer (an HP8600 series) listed. But when I right-clicked it there's no option to make it my default printer. The "Properties" option shows the HP8600 to be an "unspecified device". Furthermore, the only printing options listed for me to set as my default printer are all things like PDF Converter, PDF Complete, etc....They're not even actual devices. Any idea what would cause this mess and how to fix it?

I should add that the computer no longer lists my boss's printer as an option either in the drop-down box when I go to print. She's as baffled as I am. Suddenly, I can't print from other printer and have all this PDF crap instead.

Moving this to Off Topic for you. Snork Maiden, WYP mod
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:32:09 AM by SnorkMaiden »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Printer Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 04:11:27 PM »
Try going under Settings on your computer then click on Devices.  Then click Printers and Scanners. When you click on the device you want it should have an option to set as default. 

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 04:49:46 PM »
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:40:18 PM »
Try going under Settings on your computer then click on Devices.  Then click Printers and Scanners. When you click on the device you want it should have an option to set as default. 

Thanks I'll try this first if our volunteer computer guy hasn't had a chance to address the matter by the time I get in.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers.

This is the step I kind of fear because I'm not sure where the installation disk is.

Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll already be resolved. 

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 02:59:35 AM »
Another thing to check is whether the printers got disabled from inside Device Manager. That would make them hide, too. You'd be able to check that in the same area where you can make a printer default. I've had my internet connection and my speakers do that before.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline northstar3184

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »
Thanks all. Of all things it turned to be an issue with the computer suddenly relying upon its wired connection (which is actually just a backup) rather than the wireless one which is supposed to be primary and is also the connection utilized to access the printers. So this was thankfully resolved this morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal