collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: polyphasic sleep  (Read 698 times)

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
polyphasic sleep
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »
hey guys.  I've recently started changing my sleep pattern into a biphasic way... that is,  I sleep and then wake up and then sleep again.  I've read it's the most healthy way to sleep,  and so far I feel pretty good!  anybody with experience have any tips or tricks? any things to watch out for?  thanks!

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: polyphasic sleep
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 11:11:55 AM »
I've never heard about this before, but I'm really curious so I'm gonna lurk :)
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
I've never heard about this, but honestly, it sounds like just another fad thing, like paleo dieting (lol). I'd be interested to read the science behind this, if there is any. I don't really see how it would be any more or less healthy than just sleeping straight through, though, and for me, it wouldn't work at all. Once I'm awake, I can only really end up properly asleep again if I'm sick.  Otherwise, once I'm up, I'm sadly up, no matter how badly I needed the rest, lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:41:51 AM »
There is a lot of evidence that we used to sleep biphasically before electric lighting. People used to pray in the small hours for example. I just woke up and will go back to sleep around 2 for 6 hours. I'll do some work of some kind probably.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:07:42 PM »
I was actually on a wonderful schedule like this for about 6 months last year. It worked out really well until I started getting busier. It let me be super productive and for once I was actually awake. It also stopped the horrible waking up constantly in the middle of the night. If my schedule allowed it I would get back to it in a heartbeat. I got into it by taking naps after work.  I would go to sleep around 7 then I'd get up at 11 for about 3 hours do some housework and go back to sleep. Then get up at 7. I kinda fell into it on accident really, and then just kept doing it because it worked so well until my schedule said no. But I really do feel so much better on that type of sleep schedule than I do normally.

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »
I've never heard about this, but honestly, it sounds like just another fad thing, like paleo dieting (lol). I'd be interested to read the science behind this, if there is any. I don't really see how it would be any more or less healthy than just sleeping straight through, though, and for me, it wouldn't work at all. Once I'm awake, I can only really end up properly asleep again if I'm sick.  Otherwise, once I'm up, I'm sadly up, no matter how badly I needed the rest, lol.

it's not that popular (ie fad)  because a lot of people think they can't do it.  but there is lots of science behind it.  almost all texts and literature from before the industrial revolution talks about this period of time in the middle of the night used for social time.  It's also the way work is done in Spain,  with a midday nap/social time before returning to work.  Wikipedia is a good place to start https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biphasic_and_polyphasic_sleep

There is a lot of evidence that we used to sleep biphasically before electric lighting. People used to pray in the small hours for example. I just woke up and will go back to sleep around 2 for 6 hours. I'll do some work of some kind probably.

I usually do my sleeping at night still,  since I've got school during the day.  7:30-12 and then 2:30-7.
I was actually on a wonderful schedule like this for about 6 months last year. It worked out really well until I started getting busier. It let me be super productive and for once I was actually awake. It also stopped the horrible waking up constantly in the middle of the night. If my schedule allowed it I would get back to it in a heartbeat. I got into it by taking naps after work.  I would go to sleep around 7 then I'd get up at 11 for about 3 hours do some housework and go back to sleep. Then get up at 7. I kinda fell into it on accident really, and then just kept doing it because it worked so well until my schedule said no. But I really do feel so much better on that type of sleep schedule than I do normally.

totally!  my mom kind of does it on accident,  she naps after work.  kids do it naturally too!! I though I wasn't one for naps but it has greatly improved my work ethic while I'm awake : )

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
I get about 6 hours overnight and one 4 hour nap or two 2 hour naps in the afternoon. I switched because health problems made it necessary. My energy did increase significantly.

My brother is a certified genius and he advocates it as well. It's more of a natural rhythm. To sleep during the hottest time of day and the early morning when nocturnal predators have gone to sleep, but the daytime ones haven't woken.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 08:01:37 PM »
I'm doing the same at the moment, but involuntarily. I think it makes me feel moody through the day, I'd like to get back to my normal sleep pattern, but no idea how.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
I sleep like this naturally when allowed to. I'm also nocturnal. If left alone and without appointments to keep, I go to sleep just before or at dawn, wake about 4 hours later not feeling groggy at all. I usually play a puzzle game or something on my 3DS or listen to music after I feed my cats. Sometimes I do light chores, like laundry. Then about 2 hours later I go back to sleep and stay asleep for another 6 hours or so.

I feel the best physically, mentally and emotionally when I can operate this way. Unfortunately, the world around me doesn't agree.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 09:11:57 PM »
Dunno about that. When I have constantly interrupted sleep I get disoriented and cranky.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 07:37:38 AM »
Honestly I'd be happy to get more than 4 hours of sleep in ANY form right now. 

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
I sleep like this naturally when allowed to. I'm also nocturnal. If left alone and without appointments to keep, I go to sleep just before or at dawn, wake about 4 hours later not feeling groggy at all. I usually play a puzzle game or something on my 3DS or listen to music after I feed my cats. Sometimes I do light chores, like laundry. Then about 2 hours later I go back to sleep and stay asleep for another 6 hours or so.

I feel the best physically, mentally and emotionally when I can operate this way. Unfortunately, the world around me doesn't agree.

I agree.

Dunno about that. When I have constantly interrupted sleep I get disoriented and cranky.

Also I agree with you. I'm up every two hours and it's exhausting. When I manage a whole three hours uninterrupted my mind is so much clearer and that's only an hour difference. The longest I've managed since my condition surfaced is five hours and that was when I was heavily drugged on pain meds after surgery. I wonder how much better I would function with better sleep.

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
The best is the less than 15 min nap. It boosts me. And sometimes it is even like one minute, but then i feel like i slept days in a row... The nap for me is very important. And yes, I am spanish, hahaha
But not in every work place we had time to siesta unfortunately.
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 08:39:53 AM »
They do it in warmer climate where its too hot to do anything between noon and 3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal