collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not As Described - eBay Troubles  (Read 1055 times)

Offline MysticalGypsy

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Not As Described - eBay Troubles
« on: September 24, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
I purchased l lot of ponies on evilbay recently & received them a short while ago.
I'm happy with everything except that the ponies were just thrown inside a box loose
with no packaging/wrapping what so ever!
And 1 of them has initials in black ink on the bottom & it so happened to be the pony
that I purchased the lot for as she was worth the most, which the seller did not
describe
What can I do? I already contacted the seller & was told that she would't accept
a partial refund.
Thoughts?... should I go through eBay? (if I do go through eBay do I have a
maximum amount of "not as described" files in like a year?)

[moving to Trader Support ~ Kiwi]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:31:08 PM by Kiwi »
~*Formerly known as BlackIris*~
*** Thanks  ponymaker for my Gypsy blinkie! ***

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: Not As Described - eBay Troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:03:33 PM »
You can file NAD for a return. All eBay sellers have to take returns. DO not alter them before returning! like cleaning, or taking anything to a flaw in an attempt to fix. (this is why I recommend inspecting purchases before any grooming starts)

Was this a pony vendor/collector seller? or someone selling random stuff? Anyone who proposes to have any authority with MLP (like a collector or avid MLP dealer) should well know better how much ink marks, and wrapping properly matters to collectors. Sadly, random stuff sellers like to switch categories. Getting our money My Little Ponies are "rare collectibles", sending and describing they're suddenly not special at all "just 30 year old kids toys, quit fussing"  :huh:

Be very wary if a seller doesn't seem very familiar with MLP. I always ask how they're wrapped for shipping, and have a list of specific condition issues as a question I copy and paste to the seller before bidding. :( I'm sorry you had such a disappointing purchase.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
Well if she won't accept a partial refund, you either keep the pony as is, or you send the whole lot back for a full refund minus the return postage.  Ebay can't force a partial but they can require you to send it back for a full. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »
You can file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) for the item.  Since the seller won't accept a partial refund, you will get a full refund and send the ponies back to the seller.  (I believe eBay pays for the shipping, not sure though.)

Were the ponies actually damaged in transit?  I too would be annoyed at a poor packing job, but I don't think it's fair to penalize the seller if the items weren't actually damaged.  Most ponies are pretty durable.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:17:42 AM »
Yep- Skeen is correct. a seller is never obligated to send a partial. Everyone selling on eBay does have to accept returns. So you have keep or return as options to you. :)

You can file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) for the item.  Since the seller won't accept a partial refund, you will get a full refund and send the ponies back to the seller.  (I believe eBay pays for the shipping, not sure though.)

Were the ponies actually damaged in transit?  I too would be annoyed at a poor packing job, but I don't think it's fair to penalize the seller if the items weren't actually damaged.  Most ponies are pretty durable.

This is why I had questions about the seller too.

Anyone who seems unfamiliar with MLP I am far more forgiving with, if I forget to ask specifics ahead of time with pony newbies I feel it's also on me too as a buyer.

I see how a seller responds to an issue. Non pony, or new pony people don't realize how fragile mlp can be. and some feel terrible and you can tell when they get back to you it was NOT their intention to upset a buyer and they do change how they pack after my issue. I never ask for a partial. eBay is terrible and sellers always get scummy buyers who received perfect items trying to get partials to make shopping cheaper after the fact. Happens ALL the TIME.

I just state my issues politely, specifying it's to educate (if the ponies were lucky, not damaged) and see what I get back as a response. Apologetic, or apologetic and offering me a small sum. Those, I've always let go. If something is damaged, sometimes taken a little less then the seller offered because they went overboard, sometimes the amount they did and mention the "seller handled a small customer issue with professionalism and grace". But I also only bid lower amounts on what I consider riskier buys so even if something happens and the ponies are not good enough for my liking I still get enough of a deal to recoup my costs reselling them. I buy for my collection, but the nature of non experts is not every item will be collection quality.

I always try to ask before bidding with any seller who isn't a pony collector around for years. On a BIN I have to hit fast, I question before paying, or with payment and again with an additional question to seller about packing for shipping so they don't miss it. I just want my stuff to show up as shown!

I'll even write in which padding can be used, and what will damage (i.e like white tissue good, colour or newsprint is terrible and will damage, clean crunched up plastic shopping bags to pad if ponies are in sandwich bags to protect from staining. If a seller needs sandwich bags to protect the ponies from stains during shipping, or zipper ones to keep accessories in place I specify I'm happy sending extra money to cover the cost of a box of those if they didn't have any on hand. So far no one has taken me up on my offer of additional money, but many people answer that they had no idea MLP's can scuff paint tumbling around together or stain easily, or accessories can so easily slip out of box flaps if not secured. They either planned to have them loose in a box, or did only have staining items like old newspapers to wrap sales in. So asking has really averted a lot of disappointments on my end!

Now, with a seasoned collector who SHOULD well know better.  If they seemed unapologetic at all, I wouldn't unnecessarily neg, but I would mention poor packing in feedback to warn other buyers, if this ever happens to me.

There is also another possibility- I also now notice OP is in Canada, like me and another possibility came to mind.
Was this a GSP listing? did the seller say they did use packing?
I bought two lots so far with GSP shipping. Both sellers I know for a fact wrapped them very well. Well, Pitney Bowes *the people who run GSP* moved my things to a smaller box and removed all the sellers wrappings when they got to the distribution center in Kentucky.  PitneyBowes/GSP included a postcard type thingy saying they inspected and may have repackaged my lot. They bulk ship, so the more compact that they can make buyers items, the more they can get into a truck into Canada. PB is absolutely clueless when it comes to keeping collectibles safe!! and it's not the sellers fault at all, they had no idea this would be done, my things left their hands wrapped up properly.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 06:44:41 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
Over the summer I had a problem with a non pony purchase. I purchased a pattern that was listed as uncut and when I got it not only was it cut but pieces were missing. I sent a message to the seller saying how happy I was that I recieved the item quickly but that when it was opened I found pieces cut and missing but that I thought the pattern was still usable. The seller immediately refunded me and apologized telling me that she had not noticed that problems with the pattern and to be fair you did have to remove all the pieces to find the cut ones.

That being said I don't think I would ask for a refund just because the ponies weren't packed carefully especially if they survived the postal service. As FantasticFirefly said sometimes the sellers do pack things well but they are repacked by someone else not as carefully when the packages are inspected.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
I've purchased some lots from reputable sellers that don't normally sell ponies and they've been poorly packaged or had some more marks then I would have liked considering the description. I honestly think they were just clueless and the price was still good for what I got. They didn't want to give a partial refund since they were selling for a daughter in both cases, so I just let it be. They were polite, apologetic, and did offer a full return. I gave them a good review and got a great review in return.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »
That being said I don't think I would ask for a refund just because the ponies weren't packed carefully especially if they survived the postal service. As FantasticFirefly said sometimes the sellers do pack things well but they are repacked by someone else not as carefully when the packages are inspected.

Ponyfan

:) I'll clarify a little in the event I scare anyone from shipping to Canada. I am not talking about our customs. If you ship with USPS or your countries post- Our customs is REALLY careful if they open anything up to check, it all goes back in the package, padding as it was too and sealed up well again.

Be vary wary though buying/sending anything with eBay's Global Shipping Program (Pitney Bowes). They open so many packages, and they suck. they'll remove wrapping and stuff things in the most compact space possible. I was a lucky buyer, no knife marks on my ponies, they didn't lose flocking or scuff although they could have easily. so many other Canadians received broken stuff due to GSP opening everything repacking as tight as possible. :(

I've purchased some lots from reputable sellers that don't normally sell ponies and they've been poorly packaged or had some more marks then I would have liked considering the description. I honestly think they were just clueless and the price was still good for what I got. They didn't want to give a partial refund since they were selling for a daughter in both cases, so I just let it be. They were polite, apologetic, and did offer a full return. I gave them a good review and got a great review in return.

Exactly.... I'm glad it still turned out to be a good deal. I never expect perfect ponies from those sources. So I always bid lower, it accounts for the duds I'll get, and some do end up being nice deals in the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal