collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which G1s (or other gens) would you like to see as a G4?  (Read 2507 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Which G1s (or other gens) would you like to see as a G4?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
:) I would love to see moonstone, baby sunribbon, bright glow and any so soft. G4 style is so cute.

But moonstone in particular I'd love.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 09:59:54 AM »
Is it truly sad that we expect poor quality from Hasbro?  This is the same company that created such lovely and durable ponies in the 80's.  Where is their pride in their work?

It's because unfortunately production costs have gone up but parents don't want to pay more than $5 for a pony despite the fact that $5 in the 80's is more equivalent to $10 (tho wages haven't gone up enough either so there's that). No toy really is as high quality these days as they were in the past. It's the economy that pushes down what parents are willing to pay for toys because it makes no sense to make a higher quality toy if nobody is willing to pay.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:01:53 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 07:34:21 PM »
Is it truly sad that we expect poor quality from Hasbro?  This is the same company that created such lovely and durable ponies in the 80's.  Where is their pride in their work?

Who needs pride when you can have money? If bad quality sells they have no reason to improve. Its a real shame.
Goodwill use to mean something.  If you made high quality toys, it reflected well on your company.  It told investors you took your craft seriously and money put into your company was going to make a return not just for now, but for a long time to come.  However, the modern investor is not looking at the long-term anymore and neither are companies.

Also, when it comes to My Little Pony, the show is all that people seem to see anymore.  The toys are a very small part of the brand.

I feel it has less to do with investors (who have always followed the bottom line above everything else) and more with consumer culture, and how it's changed.

MLP of today fits a different market than MLP of the 80's, pure and simple.  A 5$ toy back then was a substantial purchase, not something picked up on a whim, and a harder sell than the 5$ toy of today.  Thus, better quality, better artwork, 'gimmicks' to keep things new and fresh.  The brand also had a much broader age range than today.  That is true of almost every toyline - kids interests last for less and less time, and nowadays it's all about cashing in on the current trend rather than trying to build a long term audience for most brands.  There are exceptions, like LEGO or Barbie, but the general rule is most toys run their course over 1-2 years.  Most parents and kids thus don't care if the toys are broken or look bad after 2+ years because by then they've been donated, thrown away or otherwise outgrown.  So what?  Their kid probably has 3+ Pinkie Pies anyways, they can just grab a new one if the old gets damaged or lost.

It's a reflection on our culture as a society obsessed with the convenience of low-cost, disposable products.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline marblecheshire

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 02:57:01 AM »
I was not aware that the quality was so poor on the G4s. What exactly are the issues?

I was collecting Pinkies but let that go to focus on Lemon Drop. I personally do not care for the G4s. Think they look like little deer and do not have as much personality as G1s and 3s. No offense to those who feel differently. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE that ponies are still being made and are relevant in our society. I am with everyone else who mentioned they like the customs. I am actually having a few G4s customized as I type this.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 03:20:33 AM »
I was not aware that the quality was so poor on the G4s. What exactly are the issues?

When I got into MLP in 2011-2012 I got some G4s. Within months some of them had severe head-body mismatch. They weren't out in the sun or light. They weren't even on display most of the time. I had to get rid of most of them because of it. Over time even the white ponies developed it... now I'm in the process of getting rid of the rest of them.

Not to mention all the paint and printing errors. Eyes misprinted, smudged, not in the right place, or wrong shape printed on wrong head sculpt on purpose. Symbols with smudges, printing issues, placement problems. Stray paint, dirt, etc on or embedded in the plastic. Hair that's melted together in package (small or larger clumps). Hair with no factory style. Blind bags with atrocious paint, symbols all over, eyes totally messed up.

And that was just from my time collecting... I haven't bought G4s in years. I've heard some people say that its gotten worse now, especially hair. Its thinner. And maybe lower quality? But I don't know for sure.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2016, 05:14:33 AM »
I look at what Hasbro is doing wonder if it's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy.

"My Little Pony is considered a cheap and disposable brand."

"Then let's make it cheap and disposable."

Instead of rising to the challenge to make the brand more durable in the minds of buyers, they've decided to live down to expectations.  Sadly, it has proven to be a profitable choice and probably the approach they will take with future generations.  Though, that is because there really is no direct competition to force them to develop the best possible strategy.  Just getting pony toys onto shelves is all need to do to win.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:24 AM »
I look at what Hasbro is doing wonder if it's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Instead of rising to the challenge to make the brand more durable in the minds of buyers, they've decided to live down to expectations.  Sadly, it has proven to be a profitable choice and probably the approach they will take with future generations.  Though, that is because there really is no direct competition to force them to develop the best possible strategy.  Just getting pony toys onto shelves is all need to do to win.

It's a shame, it used to not be.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
I also think the show let's them get a pass on the toys.  The show is insanely popular (though I think at this point it's more popular for being popular than popular for actually being good anymore).  That means people are willing to shell out money for the merchandise no matter what the quality.

However, we do seem to have a more disposable society.  Which is a shame from both a collector and an environmentalist.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
I also think the show let's them get a pass on the toys.  The show is insanely popular (though I think at this point it's more popular for being popular than popular for actually being good anymore).  That means people are willing to shell out money for the merchandise no matter what the quality.

However, we do seem to have a more disposable society.  Which is a shame from both a collector and an environmentalist.

Tell me about it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

Well they do have the higher quality Fashion Styles with a price closer to what a G1 would be in current values on the shelves and those don't sell as well as the $5 brushables. Maybe if wages went up like everything else did people would be more willing to spend more of their paycheck on toys than they currently do.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
The thing is, My Little Pony was at its height when Regan's voodoo economics were as well.  Wages for the general population were already not keeping up with inflation.  Though, it was also the decade of conspicuous consumption and paying for everything on credit.

Wages are even lower after the recession now.  We are also in a culture dominated by austerity.  That means spending as little as possible on everything (even if the product is so terrible to the point of being unusable).  I guess we should expect ponies made of cheap materials with slipshod quality control when our roads are made of cheap materials with slipshod quality control.  At least our taxes/pony prices are low, right?

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
Not that customs made of G1 out of G4 ponies don't look adorable, they often do. But as a Hasbro thing? Nah. G1 is fine as it is, in its bubble. G4 should do its own thing.

Exactly my thoughts. I LOVE cross-gen customs, but as for the official line, I'd rather we just get new G4 characters. The older gens are done, let's move on now.

Offline marblecheshire

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »
Turned into a bit of a downer thread. I hate that the quality has gotten so bad. People will quit buying which means the line will be eventually pulled. I have also heard that the show has lost its spark.

I get that most people want new characters but it would be neat to have a few made in the G4 style. Could be a limited anniversary set. Is not Applejack one of the few that has not really changed her look and has appeared in at least 3 generations?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:37:07 PM by marblecheshire »

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
Someone has done custom TE the whole set. They are gorgeous. ...There's also a thread here somewhere of G1-G4 customs. They are gorgeous....

Edit: found it. I think this is more along the lines of what the OP was thinking with this thread?

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,352296.0.html

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2016, 02:15:04 AM »
They look amazing actually... i never thought it could be so cool!
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal