collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony con question?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
Pony con question?
« on: September 21, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
So this is my first year going to uk pony con (well it is more or less in my back yard so it would be rude not to)

I am just starting to look at budgets and the like and was wondering what kind of stuff there is for sale and what the prices are usally like. I am expecting slightly higher than normal as it is an event but i am having issues with spending budgets. I know i am going to uk version but help from anyone that has being to any type of pony con would be parciated  :biggrin:

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
Re: Pony con question?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
I have been many times to the UK ponycon. I can tell you that there is a lot for sale and its like you went straight to heaven :) There are ponies for every budget. If you are not looking for something rare amounts can start from 1 pound or maybe you find that special pony for a lesser price than you thought.
Maybe price checks will help you to decide how much money to bring?

Offline cannibalism

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Please don't go, I'll eat you up I love you so!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 06:12:08 PM »
I'm in the US so I don't know about UK prices but I always bring at Least 50$ to cons,  preferably 100$. especially for a large con,  100$ can go surprisingly fast. the most I've ever packed for a con is 280$ and I spent all of it. make sure you're leaving yourself food money,  or pack yourself a lunch.  making sandwiches for a long day of conning is the best,  theyre easy to carry in small bags. 
My best recommendation for Not spending all your money is to sweep the whole con and not buy anything,  and then go back for several more sweeps,  narrowing down which things are most desirable for you to buy. keeping in mind all the things you saw you wanted and try to order them as best you can. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

❤visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art shop - sales/trades - deviantart - wishlist

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »
I have spent about 400 pounds over the course of a Ponycon weekend before now  :cry: but it depends on what you're looking to buy. Ponycon is normally the only place where I buy ponies, so it's like a whole year of pony money blown in one weekend! Plus, as I've been collecting for so long, I have most of the commons and thus I end up spending more to get the more rare/variants/'foreign' ponies I need for my collection.
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
It really, really depends on what you're looking for. Common ponies and baits you can pick up for very little money. Many sellers have boxes of cheaper ponies under / in front of their stalls; those are always worth a look.

I would not say that prices are generally higher than normal, and don't forget that you won't have to pay for shipping, so that money can be spent on ponies, too. :)

If there are specific ponies you're looking for, it's a good idea to have a list prepared, including how much money you're willing to spend. That'll give you the chance to think about it beforehand, maybe even to check the prices online, rather than when you're holding the pony in your hand and have to make a quick decision.

Many thanks to Moonbreeze for my signature!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 06:41:26 PM »
I haven't been to ponycon, but I agree that what you may want to do is go through all the vendors without buying anything first, and taking note of everything you really want and shopping around on prices. I highly suggest getting business cards from vendors who interest you as well - that way, you can prioritize what you absolutely cannot leave behind (maybe larger items that you wouldn't want to pay the shipping on, for example), and see about ordering online any other items that interested you.

I do this at other conventions that I go to - I make a point of definitely getting an event tshirt/exclusive first, then go from there around the other booths. Some cons will have a list of vendors online that you can glance over (I'm not sure if this is true for ponycon, but it'd be worth a look). This is helpful, as you can maybe glance over any that have online shops first, and send inquiries about whether specific things you have your eye on will be available at the con.  ^.^

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »
Thank you for all the tips and advise. I intend to go through to see who I have in my collection and who I really want to buy in the coming weeks so I am not buying just for the sake of buying.

So excited to go now

Offline cannibalism

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Please don't go, I'll eat you up I love you so!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:20 AM »
have fun at your con!!! im jealous i wish i could go :')
be sure to post pics of your purchases!!!

❤visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art shop - sales/trades - deviantart - wishlist

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »
What you are looking for will dictate your budget. If you are going for Mountain boys and Sea ponies with shells and Nirvana's then yes you may need to take a little more than if you are after baits and common ponies  :biggrin:  Generally I have found that traders will charge less for their wares at MLP conventions/fairs and its especially handy that you don't need to pay postage as well  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
This question reminds me of LadyG and Thai Thundercloud last year ;)

In my experience at ponycon, it depends entirely on what is there. But there is a huge range. Some things are very costly, especially Nirvana ponies of a certain type, and MIP items. Some are not so expensive. There is a range.

About not buying everything right away - this is good advice BUT sometimes you can lose out on things if you don't buy them when you see them, so gauge up before you go what is a must have and what isn't, or what kind of things you might see a few times on a few stalls and what you might not.

I got my Lily in her box with all her stuff last con and I know if I hadn't got her the moment I saw her on Marco's stall, I probably would have not got her and would've regretted it. She was a great price and great price items like that go quickly. So I think it's good not to go mad at the start BUT do have an absolute priority list and a mental range of your prices for those things. Maybe ask on here for rough prices in £ (as the dollar and pound exchange rate has shifted, it's better to ask in £ than $ right now) of things you know you really desperately want. Then you'll know if you see it right away.

Other things, definitely think about and come back to. Especially if they are pricey. Some sellers may hold items for you temporarily while you think about it. Ponycon is generally quite friendly like that in my experience.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|