collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need to rehome some cats  (Read 856 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Need to rehome some cats
« on: September 20, 2016, 04:18:46 AM »
(Not sure if this should be here or in what's your problem.)

My best friend/sister is being forced to rehome almost all of her cats, and we still need to find homes for many of them. She lives in MN close to the IA border. We need to find homes for the following indoor cats within 12 days:

Yurei - White medium/long hair cat. Heterochromatic eyes - one is blue the other is gold (I think?); like many white cats with blue eyes, he is DEAF, and should not go outside (though he does try, and he does have his claws). Also, his gold eye has optical herpes, which means he needs to be given special drops every now and then, or he could also go blind. Because of this, there's a good chance the Humane Society would just put him down, so we're hoping to find him a good home. He does tend to chew on weird things, including cords and the water lines to the toilet, but some dishsoap rubbed along said items usually deters most cats who do this. He is 7 years old, rescued from along Hwy 35 near Hope, he has been given the birthdate of 7-03. Very affectionate, will climb your shoulder and loves attention. (I would take him myself, but mom said no.)

Leia - Tabby/Maine coon cross; medium/long hair. Looks like a Maine Coon. Also 7, definitive birthday 12/14. She is overweight and has trouble washing herself, but loves being brushed and will hold still wonderfully for it. Without brushing, her fur tends to snarl and get matts and her rear will need cleaning. She has a very quiet meow for her size, and is very affectionate. She is an indoor kitty, though has been known to go out for a few minutes. Loves cat nip toys, though we've yet to find her anything else she likes playing with to help the weight come off. (Also one I would adopt if mom would let me.)

Salem - Black cat with white markings, though not a tuxedo. Male, shorthair, age 2. Can be shy at first and may hide until he is used to you. Birthday is 3-13.

Sasha - indoor/outdoor cat. Great mouser. Doesn't like being touched though.

O'Ryan - orange and white tabby; Sasha's son. Has spinal dipthia (there's a dip in his spine), also likes going outside and is a good mouser.

These cats are not being given up willingly; suffice to say, her soon-to-be-EX sister-in-law is being vindictive and called the police to complain about how many cats she has despite them all being well cared for, so now her city's officials *have* to enforce the law with her, instead of turning a blind eye like before. We're not sure if the call was done in retaliation after she found out she could no longer lay claim to her husband's truck (which was put into their mother's name so he could still get to work), or becuase she thinks my sister brought fleas into her home (despite her allowing a random stray free access to her home), we just know it was done.

We have just under two weeks to find them homes, and are hoping that whoever takes them in will be willing to share pictures on social media so my sister and I know her former cats are doing well. The last time she had to give up her cats was when her family moved to MN from TN, and she gave the cats to the Humane Society, who proceeded to tell her "they are no longer your cats and no longer your concern" and hang up on her when she called to find out how they were doing; she is still haunted by wondering how her cats fared without her.

If you are able to take in one or more of these kitties, or know someone who can, please PM me as soon as you can. I have a few leads for the younger ones (who could go to the HS and find homes no trouble), but no commitments, and have obvious concerns on the first two, as older cats can be hard to place when they -don't- have health issues. All cats are spayed/nuetered, all are used to other cats and small dogs.

Thank you!

EDIT: We are currently working on seeing if she and her mom can receive a medical exemption for the legal amount they can have, as these cats are technically her anti-depressant/emotional support - she is clinically depressed, and any medication she has tried (and she's tried a lot of them) turns her into an unmotivated lump that can't even get out of bed. Her mother is Manic/depressive bi-polar and is having a hard time understanding what's even going on. Here's hoping!

EDIT #2: changed cat list as some have been saved due to being reclassified as special needs cats.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:34:00 PM by Kazzellin »
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
Re: Need to rehome some cats
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:09:24 AM »
I am from that area:) if you have Facebook there is a page dedicated for selling items. You can post about giving pets a home too.

Sometimes you can take a few kitties and have them in front of a grocery store. This might help getting them a home. A small add in a paper is like $20 at most. I have gotten more response from doing this then any other form of media.

this can be brave but farms might take cats...they might have to be out door but many farms feed and care for their out door cats.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »
I wish her the best of luck <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »
Spoiler
(Not sure if this should be here or in what's your problem.)

My best friend/sister is being forced to rehome almost all of her cats, and we still need to find homes for many of them. She lives in MN close to the IA border. We need to find homes for the following indoor cats within 12 days:

Yurei - White medium/long hair cat. Heterochromatic eyes - one is blue the other is gold (I think?); like many white cats with blue eyes, he is DEAF, and should not go outside (though he does try, and he does have his claws). Also, his gold eye has optical herpes, which means he needs to be given special drops every now and then, or he could also go blind. Because of this, there's a good chance the Humane Society would just put him down, so we're hoping to find him a good home. He does tend to chew on weird things, including cords and the water lines to the toilet, but some dishsoap rubbed along said items usually deters most cats who do this. He is 7 years old, rescued from along Hwy 35 near Hope, he has been given the birthdate of 7-03. Very affectionate, will climb your shoulder and loves attention. (I would take him myself, but mom said no.)

Leia - Tabby/Maine coon cross; medium/long hair. Looks like a Maine Coon. Also 7, definitive birthday 12/14. She is overweight and has trouble washing herself, but loves being brushed and will hold still wonderfully for it. Without brushing, her fur tends to snarl and get matts and her rear will need cleaning. She has a very quiet meow for her size, and is very affectionate. She is an indoor kitty, though has been known to go out for a few minutes. Loves cat nip toys, though we've yet to find her anything else she likes playing with to help the weight come off. (Also one I would adopt if mom would let me.)

Little Girl -  Tortois shell cat, age 5. Loves attention, will demand it on ocassion. Short hair.

Chi - Orange/marmalade tabby with white tummy and markings. Male shorthair, age 3. Chi is rather needy and will demand attention.Gets along very well with Jiji.

Salem - Black cat with white markings, though not a tuxedo. Male, shorthair, age 2. Can be shy at first and may hide until he is used to you. Birthday is 3-13.

Jiji - Male shorthair Siamese snowshoe/lynxpoint markings. Rather rare coloring, as it took three years to find him. Not fond of being picked up, and like most siamese types he has slightly crossed eyes, but he loves attention. He is about 1 year old.

These cats are not being given up willingly; suffice to say, her soon-to-be-EX sister-in-law is being vindictive and called the police to complain about how many cats she has despite them all being well cared for, so now her city's officials *have* to enforce the law with her, instead of turning a blind eye like before. We're not sure if the call was done in retaliation after she found out she could no longer lay claim to her husband's truck (which was put into their mother's name so he could still get to work), or becuase she thinks my sister brought fleas into her home (despite her allowing a random stray free access to her home), we just know it was done.

We have just under two weeks to find them homes, and are hoping that whoever takes them in will be willing to share pictures on social media so my sister and I know her former cats are doing well. The last time she had to give up her cats was when her family moved to MN from TN, and she gave the cats to the Humane Society, who proceeded to tell her "they are no longer your cats and no longer your concern" and hang up on her when she called to find out how they were doing; she is still haunted by wondering how her cats fared without her.

If you are able to take in one or more of these kitties, or know someone who can, please PM me as soon as you can. I have a few leads for the younger ones (who could go to the HS and find homes no trouble), but no commitments, and have obvious concerns on the first two, as older cats can be hard to place when they -don't- have health issues. All cats are spayed/nuetered, all are used to other cats and small dogs.

Thank you!
EDIT: We are currently working on seeing if she and her mom can receive a medical exemption for the legal amount they can have, as these cats are technically her anti-depressant/emotional support - she is clinically depressed, and any medication she has tried (and she's tried a lot of them) turns her into an unmotivated lump that can't even get out of bed. Her mother is Manic/depressive bi-polar and is having a hard time understanding what's even going on. Here's hoping!

I don't know if individuals can list pets on petfinder.com, but maybe she could use it to reach out to a rescue in her area to see if they can work with her to find fosters/new homes?

As far as the cats being emotional support animals...I'm not sure what the laws in your state are, but generally, only one of the cats would be the emotional support animal, while the others would be considered regular pets. She would also need to have some type of letter or document from her psychiatrist about it if she needs to show something to the city, almost like a "prescription" for the animal as being necessary to her mental health.

Did they really say that she had to rehome ALL the cats? Normally, unless there were health & safety concerns, I was under the impression that she should have been able to keep a certain number of them still. I would reread whatever the notice stated to be sure what was actually required.

Either way, what an awful situation. I hope everything is able to work out.  :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »
If I were local, I would be sorely temped by the odd eyed boy, asking my vet about any concerns with his optical herpies. I am so so sorry for your friend if she was forced to make this choice with no other options.  :hug: My girls are my babies.

For anyone who is local to Kazzellin, and is unfamiliar with a deaf cat or afraid they will not be a nice pet-

White cats carry genes that increase the chance of being deaf, if there is one or more blue eyes the chances increase. it's nothing to worry about really!

They make amazing companions. I own a deaf odd eyed white female (Turkish Angora mix). She's a wonderful character who loves her people, loves to play and is a highly observant intelligent cat. Facial expressions, body launguage she takes it all in. She also responds to various hand gestures as well. My spouse taught her some new signs when we moved in together and she was over ten at that point. So no worries about missing the opportunity if they are no longer kittens. :) There's a couple things done differently for her so she feels safe. They will let you know where they want litter boxes placed, food dishes, or nap baskets (since they have to be able to "see" danger coming). Being strictly indoors, or use of a secure catio for fresh air time they cannot escape from is a 100% must with a deaf cat. White cats are also at higher risk of skin cancers, so inside kitties do much much better there too since they are out of harsh UV/Sun!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »
Oh no!  I wish I could help but I'm a long ways away (and it wouldn't really be fair on my roommate to foist an extra cat on her, lol).

Are there any no-kill cat rescue groups in the area?  Maybe this group could help?  http://www.tcpetrescue.org/about/

Also, if worse comes to worse and some of them have to go to the Humane Society, she can ask to donate part of the fee.  Like say adoption usually costs $70, she could donate $50 and then the adoptee only has to pay $20.  Which means they're more likely to get adopted.  I don't know if all humane societies offer that, but the ones in my hometown did.

A word of warning:  if she puts an adoption ad on Craigslist she WILL get a bunch of skeevy scam artists trying to pull variations of the Nigeria scam.  Never adopt to anyone on Craigslist who you cannot meet IN PERSON.

Edit:  Does your sister live in Saint Paul, or in Minneapolis?  There seem to be permits you can apply for to keep over four cats (Minneapolis) or over three cats (Saint Paul).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:23:47 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 02:55:00 PM »
Lady Moondancer: she lives in Albert Lea, near IA. Her therapist/social worker is saying she and her mom can each have four cats as therapy animals, the city is saying they can override that and she's back to panic mode. I'm going to see if feline rescue in Saint Paul can take yurei, and there's a no-kill shelter in faribuax, worse comes to worse. We're seeing what we can do, but people who are finding it things aren't getting back to me.

Post Merge: September 21, 2016, 03:01:25 AM

If I were local, I would be sorely temped by the odd eyed boy, asking my vet about any concerns with his optical herpies. I am so so sorry for your friend if she was forced to make this choice with no other options.  :hug: My girls are my babies.

If I could somehow get him to you, I would! I am lacking a passport, though. :(

Sasha and O'Ryan may both be going to live on a farm with Aurora's niece; Sasha definitly, Julie just isn't sure whether O'Ryan was listed as one of their therapy pets or not. I will find that out later today. That leaves three kitties to find homes for. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:01:25 AM by Kazzellin »

Offline Kazzellin

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 02:57:59 PM »
Update!

The only kitties left to re-home are Leia and Yurei. I will be fostering them for awhile, though my mom will not be happy about it; it's better than my sister going to jail though. I've started the process for acquiring a multi-animal permit, though that may not be done until December. I'm working on making a kitty quarantine area, so leia doesn't have access to 24-hour kibble like the others do, so hopefully she'll lose some weight. Yurei will be in there with her, both for company and because I don't know if he'll continue his practice of peeing on things to mark them (though I did find that there are collars that should help control that behavior). Also, I hope that having them under quarantine will keep the cat hair mom has to deal with to a minimum; I'm assuming that white cat hair + black work shirts = not a happy mother. ^^;

If anyone in the upper Midwest area is interested in either of these babies please let me know!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal