collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Chimp/Ape experts?  (Read 959 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Chimp/Ape experts?
« on: September 18, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »
Hey I have this friend who LOOOVES everything ape, but specifically Chimpanzee's.

He's always posting about conservation and news stories etc, and just really loves them lots.
Id really like to surprise him with a book, I feel like it's the only way I COULD surprise him, he collects a lot of "things" but I'm pretty sure he's only read a small handful of books, two of them being by Jane Goodall.

So anyone have any suggestions?

I googled and found many different books pop up, but since I dont know anything about what's creditable or not, and hes practically an ape expert. I don't want to just pick anything? I think he might even enjoy some Chimp fiction if its out there. (not counting Planet of the Ape stuff because Im pretty sure hes read all of that) 
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: Chimp/Ape experts?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
Is he interested in a specific aspect of primatology, or just anything about apes in general? My undergrad degree is in Anthropology...I focused in biological anthro, and I took a primatology class, so I have read some things.

Anything by Jane Goodall or Dian Fossey would be good; they're two of the more household names that "laymen" would recognize. Glancing through Amazon with just the broadest search term "apes," I see Craig Stanford popping up a bit:  he wrote one of my bio anth textbooks, so I would feel comfortable recommending him without having read everything myself.  Frans de Waal is professionally a primatologist and academician, so I would feel comfortable recommending his books as well. Sy Montgomery is a naturalist whose name I recognize; I believe she's written books about Goodall, Fossey, etc., so that might be of interest also.

Anything published by the Smithsonian Institution or a university publisher I would consider to be a good recommendation as well, since you know that it would at least be well-researched and would include a lot of sources which would provide further reading suggestions.

I hope this helps!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:25:32 PM »
He just loves.. EVERYTHING xD I picked up a book for him from ebay, it comes with through a window as a lot, which I know hes already read, but for the price it was fine lol. Ill keep those names in mind. and thanks a lot for the help/suggestions!

Primates are something I really never gave much thought to until I started talking to this person, and I've actually learned quite a bit, I wouldn't say they're my favorite animal, but I do have a better appreciation for them. They've been having a sorta bad time of things recently and I just wanted to surprise him with something nice. :3

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey are the most well known ape scholars, but if you really want to get him something credible and less well known, you should go with a book by the third of Leakey's Angels: Birute M. F. Galdikas. She was a pioneer of research on orangutans. Here's a link to her memoir:

https://smile.amazon.com/Reflections-Eden-Years-Orangutans-Borneo/dp/0316301868/ref=pd_sim_14_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WXVJR9VCRN0JG2ERTKMA

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »
Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey are the most well known ape scholars, but if you really want to get him something credible and less well known, you should go with a book by the third of Leakey's Angels: Birute M. F. Galdikas. She was a pioneer of research on orangutans. Here's a link to her memoir:

https://smile.amazon.com/Reflections-Eden-Years-Orangutans-Borneo/dp/0316301868/ref=pd_sim_14_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WXVJR9VCRN0JG2ERTKMA

OOOH thanks for that info! Ill look into it!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 01:50:28 AM »
You know what might be cool? Getting him a painting done by a chimp. I used to be a zookeeper and we often did painting enrichment with our animals and sold the paintings in the gift shop and at special zoo events. Most often with pictures of the animal painting that particular painting. Might be a cool/unique gift he would enjoy. Many zoos sell animal paintings like that these days. Perhaps you could find one that sells them online, or your local zoo if they have chimps or other apes? Just a thought. I have a few paintings done by some of my fav animals I used to work with. ^-^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »
I have a cute true story book called Kasey to the Rescue: The Remarkable Story of a Monkey and a Miracle. I haven't read it all, and I don't know if he'd be interested in it, but it seems nice. It's probably out of print, though; I got it in 2011 when our last Borders closed down.... (Sadness.) Oh, it's not a chimp or an ape, though, so if he only likes those kinds of primates, that probably already knocks it out. Sorry about that....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 02:36:07 AM by Lucky_Ladybug »

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:07:46 AM »
Teddy, the paintings would be such a neat idea! I already bought a few books though. But If I find any of those for a good price I might snag it. Unfortunately we dont have a zoo, and the nearest one is 4 hours away, and they dont offer that sort of thing. We HAD a zoo and it was actually really cool because it only had native species in it, (northern michigan species) but it closed down about 9 years ago.

Lucky_Ladybug, he does like all primates, but apes are where his heart is at. :p Thanks for the suggestion though!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone :)
I got him "my friends the wild chimpanzees" by Jane Goodall, as well as the one ringwraith10 mentioned.
He loved them! Especially the first one, apparently it was on one of his most wanted wish lists, and had many pictures of one of his favorite chimps. So I'm really happy I could find him something that he really enjoyed. ^-^

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
That's awesome! It feels so good to inadvertently get exactly the thing someone really wants!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal