collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Backcard library/gallery?  (Read 819 times)

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Backcard library/gallery?
« on: December 11, 2016, 05:22:33 AM »
I've got a big soft spot for g1 back cards.  Especially UK and Euro back cards from the earlier years, before they started using generic designs and photos on the back.  I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Spanish ones, I love the different art styles. 

i saw this recently--

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and I'd love to know what the back looks like!  Most of the US ones are easy to find online, but it would be the bees knees to get to see a library or gallery of all the box/card art from different countries :)

Does one exist, and if not, can we start one?  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 05:25:09 AM by daffodil101 »

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Re: Backcard library/gallery?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »
Have you asked the mylittlewiki folks if they'd be interested in including them when provided?

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 07:30:47 AM »
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Sweet_Stuff

If you scroll down you'll find the backcard. If you click on it and scroll down that page you'll see Categories with a link to G1 Backcards :) I use it all the time when I attempt to do my pony pixels

Post Merge: December 11, 2016, 07:31:51 AM

that packaging says Gingerbread but the pony in it is Sweet Stuff oO
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:52:32 AM »
Yay G1 packaging errors :D

I think there are some back cards here - http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
That's the UK first set release for the Twinkle Eye Ponies (1986). The card art for the first set is the same across Europe but obviously the language changes ;)

Here is the English language version of the card for Sweetie (not Sweet Stuff here). I don't have Gingerbread's. Art is the same, though. The only difference is the name and the story.

Spoiler

This card is pretty common, there are a lot of MOC first set TE ponies around although not as common as the US ones which seem to be everywhere. Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of pony/package errors for 1986. The Wiki's Sweetie has Masquerade's card!

I love backcards, especially the UK ones. It's like a bit of history for the UK pony line, and I collect them to try and protect them from being recycled. I think I have about 200 or so, but there are a lot of sets I've never seen surviving cards for. Sweetie has a 2nd release in the UK and in Europe, and the cards differ between here and there, but Sweetie's UK white 1987 card I've never seen. I only know it exists because I have Tic Tac Toe's and that's the same set.

One of the things I want to do with my card collection is get them all online in some kind of format, but I just haven't had time to do anything with them. US backcards are fairly common on the whole, but the European and UK ones are more challenging sometimes to find and identify. About 1 in 2 MOC items being sold from the UK are also in US packaging, because US MOCs are easier to find, and so a lot of folk bought them and imported them when the currency was better. Real UK MIP come up from time to time, but some sets never do...and so it's my goal to have one card example from every set sold in the UK, as a record of our line.

I am still missing some. ><
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:58:52 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Annie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://anniemsson.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 02:41:55 AM »
G1 art is the best art! I just love the soft pastel and cute style used in the old backcards!

Taffetta- I also collect backcards but I'm nowhere near 200! :o
I'd love to see you doing a site with scans of your backcards! That would be some amazing eyecandy! <3

WANTED: TAF Yum-Yum (have one for sale? PM me)
:heart: Skybelle avatar & sig by me :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 03:25:43 AM »
G1 art is the best art! I just love the soft pastel and cute style used in the old backcards!

I'd love to see you doing a site with scans of your backcards! That would be some amazing eyecandy! <3

That number includes the ponies I have MIP though, if their cards are different from the loose cards I have. I just counted up the most recent list I had and made it 238 but that doesn't include any ponywear cards which I genuinely have no idea how many I have or what I have any more o.o;;. Some of them are also the same cards but came with different ponies during my childhood (like the 7 characters, whose only difference is the name on the front, or the ones who just have name labels stuck on them, or ones like the three seaside babies who have no names on the front at all and I genuinely don't know which card went to which baby because of it.

I do have quite a lot of early UK and european ones now, though, thanks to a big lot of packaging I acquired a year or two ago. Still missing the white box for the Princess Brush and Grows though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:27:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 02:24:58 AM »

I do have quite a lot of early UK and european ones now, though, thanks to a big lot of packaging I acquired a year or two ago.

Oh wow, so many! As a child I kept my G1 backcards safe as I loved looking at the artwork; alas, my parents decided to have a clear out and got rid of the packaging - I only have my Dream Castle box left (only because it was used to store Christmas decorations, so had a "use", hehe). It would be wonderful to see your backcards scanned and online, I love looking at the mylittlewiki site for a trip down memory lane.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »
Lady twilight has a whole bunch on her site but it went down I just been able to use the wayback machine to find it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150901051153/http://www.greatponies.com/acc-info.html

She still has decent acessory checklists I hope I can save them.  :/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:30:20 AM by SkyCakes »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »

I do have quite a lot of early UK and european ones now, though, thanks to a big lot of packaging I acquired a year or two ago.

Oh wow, so many! As a child I kept my G1 backcards safe as I loved looking at the artwork; alas, my parents decided to have a clear out and got rid of the packaging - I only have my Dream Castle box left (only because it was used to store Christmas decorations, so had a "use", hehe). It would be wonderful to see your backcards scanned and online, I love looking at the mylittlewiki site for a trip down memory lane.

I feel for you! Mine didn't even get that far :/ I basically opened the ponies and the packaging went. It wasn't till about 1991 that I wanted to keep cards. So I have childhood cards from about the Rockin' Beats onwards, but all the earlier stuff I'm still trying to replace. I have replaced some of my childhood ones but a lot of my early cards are from the same sets but not necessarily the same ponies. Breaks my heart thinking back :/ such a stupid child I was...sigh.

BUt I think that's part of why I'm so keen on them now. Because I didn't keep them then...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal