collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The current state of the G1 market (esp Paradise Estate)  (Read 2273 times)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
The current state of the G1 market (esp Paradise Estate)
« on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Hello! I haven't been spending much time on the boards lately, so I'm sorry if I've missed any similar discussions. I did some selling earlier this year, and in doing that and spending time on eBay, it seemed like prices generally were down. I know there is a lot of flux with many items, and the time of the year *may* have some effect, but things just seem low to me. And some items seem not to be moving at all, even at reasonable prices.

A couple of years ago I bought a Paradise Estate on Craigslist (very exciting for me b/c I always wanted one and never got it!) and it was in very nice shape with the box. At the time PEs that were complete were selling on eBay for $400+, and one I remember went for $600+. I wanted to fill mine out b/c I'm an accessories nut, but I also knew I couldn't keep the PE indefinitely b/c of space, so I there was an added benefit to filling it out b/c I figured I could make more money selling it later. Now I'm seeing that some comparable PEs are sitting for less than $200, and one that is about like mine (but w/o the box) is at $99 with no bids. I know shipping is expensive for this set . . . BUT . . . it's the Paradise Estate! And shipping was expensive two years ago.

Any guidance or perspective from people more in the know is appreciated. I have some more G1s and accessories to sell soon, and it's hardly worth it if they aren't going for much (I'd be more inclined to put them all in a lot). As for the Paradise Estate, can I get a reasonable return on my investment? Those knives etc were a bear to track down!

Thanks! :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
Re: The current state of the G1 market (esp Paradise Estate)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »
I think mine was around $250-$300 before shipping (which was expensive even within Canada), and I have most of the accessories. It was an Christmas gift from my boyfriend, so I'm not 100% sure. But yeah, I remember hearing that in summer collectables like ponies go a bit down in price because people are spending money on vacations and stuff. I think Christmas is the time of year when things sell for the most.
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
I got mine around Christmas with the box for about $120 shipped a couple years ago, maybe 2012. Mine has all the accessories except a few of the tough tiny things like some silverware and perfume/wine bottles. I was even surprised that it came with Baby Sugarcake's accessories!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:35:42 AM »
Wow it has dropped a lot then :0

Offline StrawberryScoops

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 07:37:05 AM »
I do think the shipping cost scares a lot of people off. I bought mine for $400 Canadian last year fully complete with the box. I was able to pick it up in person though and didn't have to pay shipping. I wanted it badly enough that I didn't mind paying a lot for it. Maybe if you could find a local collector to sell to you'd be able to get more for it.

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »
Did you notice shipping for the one listed at $99? The seller wants $105 for shipping- it doesn't cost that much!!!! :p
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 08:59:28 AM »
I've currently got mine on Craigslist for $120. All rooms, roofs, shutters; pool & deck, courtyard and most major furnitures. I'd sell it to any Arena person for $80, but at our last meet, no takers. It's definitely a space commitment if not a money one.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 07:49:28 PM »
Yes it definitely takes up lots of space! I have it in a closet at my mother's house. I haven't set it up in a long while although it is a pretty impressive set all put together.

If anyone reading this wants a really nice, complete PE and lives in VA, NC, SC, or GA, send me a PM!

I mainly wanted to make sure that the bottom hadn't fallen out of the G1 market altogether. I know a lot of the original collectors from the 80s (myself included) have been at this for years and are getting up there in age, and I don't have a sense for the degree to which the collector base is expanding, with or without the influence of FiM.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:20:59 PM »
It's my dream playset, but as many others, I don't have the space for it :cry:  I do have some of the small accessories for it (utensils, milk carton, fridge/furniture) and I keep hoping that some day I will have the space..

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
It's my dream playset, but as many others, I don't have the space for it :cry:  I do have some of the small accessories for it (utensils, milk carton, fridge/furniture) and I keep hoping that some day I will have the space..

This is my situation too. I didn't realize how big it truly was until I got just the pool from someone. That thing is huge! I barely have space to put it anywhere because its so long it doesn't fit in any of my display cases. I had to wrap it in a blanket to keep it safe from dust.

Shipping price is also an issue. I'd rather wait for a local pickup, meet, or fair so I don't have to pay so much extra to ship it. I'd rather spend all that extra money on more ponies or dolls, or even groceries. Anything but shipping.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 04:27:17 AM »
I actually forget the exact price I paid for my upgrade PE - Savetheponies might remember, as she was the lovely seller. It was last year, and it was almost complete - a few missing accessories and I think it didn't have its patio, but I had that from the old beaten up one I still have in the shed, so from buying that one I had an almost complete PE.

I've never seen it in the $400 range pricewise. But that might be because I've never looked at the US sales. No point, the shipping would be prohibitive. In anycase, I think that for a whole last summer the prices were between £60 and £100 and mine was probably in that bracket somewhere. Things like that always go up and down. Space is a huge consideration, as is condition. I know a lot of collectors forego it because they have no storage space.

My faded and beaten up shell that's in my shed will probably go to charity, because it's that or the tip. I think people only want to buy PE if it is in good shape because it's such an undertaking to do it. That makes potential buyers picky...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
I got mine a could years ago for ~80 off Kijiji/Ebay (it was listed on both, but I purchased through Ebay), all rooms and patio/pool, fair bit of the big accessories/furniture pieces. Thankfully didn't have to pay any shipping because in was still in Ontario, and the lady's husband occasionally worked in a nearby city, so he dropped it off on his way when he was in the area. (Funny thing is I was at work, so it was the 2 husbands unloading a giant pink pony house. Haha.)

I don't have room to display it fully, but I found a spot to have the 4 rooms together in a square, with the patio and pool sitting on top.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 09:19:48 AM »
I wouldn't mind paying more for a PE, especially if it was in nice condition and had at least some of the accessories! If I can get one relatively cheap, haha, of course I wouldn't mind that, but for me it's more a space issue. I have limited space as it is, and I haven't "upgraded" to a climate-controlled storage locker yet, so I don't dare store ponies or playsets in it.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline drusilla

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Got to love ponies
    • View Profile
    • http://www.undead455.com
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
i had 2 extras and i could not get people to buy them no matter what, i even had it on ebay for 50 us.  no one wanted to touch it cause of shipping

i even had it for sale for 50 canadian at local pony meets and still no one took it, i ended up giving 2 of them away for free. 

they were not complete that is for sure

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »
There has been one on my local craigslist for ages now. It keeps going from $150, $100, $79, $75

Its just so big that for me I would need the space to display it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal