collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Non-FiM Pony Fanfiction  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Let's Talk About Non-FiM Pony Fanfiction
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:57:50 AM »
In the Fourth Generation discussion, it was brought up the bronies are far more prolific fanfiction writers than the rest of the community.  Well, this is the thread to discuss that imbalance, why it exists, and how it could possibly be remedied.

So, would be fanfcition writer, you want to write a story.  You've created a premise, have a cast of characters, a conflict and setting all planned out.  You've sat down at your word processor and and typed out the first chapter of the next great Ponyland novel.  However, it's Ponyland and not Equestria.  It might be a story about the ponies of Dream Valley, or the Tales universe, or G3 or even G2.  However, it has nothing or very little to do with Friendship is Magic.  Well, good luck because you're taking the first step into a very uncertain world.

You see, bronies have carved out a very deep niche when it comes to writing pony.  They've made their own site dedicated to writing.  A certain news blog posts links to their works.  They have a well entrenched fanfiction infrastructure for stories about the FiM universe.  The rest of MLP's storied history--not so much.

If you've created a non-FiM story, you have very few options.

1.  Go onto Fanfiction.net like every other fanfiction writer.  However, if you want to get eyeballs, you need to show up in filters.  There's genre of course.  You can also choose the particular MLP world your story takes place in.  However, you're in serious trouble if your story is G3 or G2 because they don't have world options.  G1 does have an option for choosing that world, but then you have to move on to the characters who you feature prominently.  If you're writing G1, the only characters who do not share a name with FiM characters available are Firefly, Megan, and Surprise.  Aside from Friendship is Magic (which have such an extensive list it includes one-short characters like Thunderlanes and Double Diamond), only Tales has its full cast of characters available.

So, Fanfiction.net is a place to submit your story, but not a good place to get noticed.  There are 27.6k MLP stories alone on that site.  Unless you're writing a Tales story, you can quickly be lost in the sea of stories because people cannot search for your story by character (or even world when it comes to G3 or G2).

2.  Post on that site.  Although it's name implies anything else but G4 need not imply, their rules say nothing about being Friendship is Magic specific.  I haven't seen any stories that have absolutely no ties to Friendship is Magic, but there are stories centered around other universes with as little as a tangential relationship with it.  There are also some small enclaves for fans of other generations.  However, while other pony universes are allowed, you get absolutely no help in getting noticed.  Their character filters are exclusively Friendship is Magic meaning you have a similar problem as on Fanfiction.net only worse.  Without any means of showing up on filters, your chances of being noticed are almost nil.

3.  Post on My Little Pony Lexicon.  The Lexicon is a pony fanfiction board that pre-dates Friendship is Magic.  However, it's essentially dead at the moment.  Also, when posting there, because it's a message board, you have to redo all the formatting in your story.  So, if you're representing thoughts and dialogue through speakers with italics or something other formatting tricks, you're going to have to go through the whole post and redo them again.

4.  Create a Google Doc are pass around the link.  Make sure to set the share function to at least everyone with the link can view and preferably everyone with the link can comment.  This is a very inefficient way to get your story out there.

So, would be writer, that is what lies before you.  Good luck.

I think the main issue you don't see as much non-FiM fanfiction is because it's hard to get it in front of eyeballs.  You basically have to shove in front of people's faces to get people to see it and read it.  Without readership, you might as well just leave your story on your computer or not bother.

There are some remedies for this.
1.  Start a campaign to get G2 and G3 recognized as worlds and more non-G4/Tales characters onto the list on Fanfiction.net.

2.  Bring the Lexicon back from the dead with regular traffic.  There are other topics covered there as well.

3.  This is the most expensive and work-intensive option, but create an answer to the brony fanfiction site that accepts all pony universes and provides filter options for all of them.

Also, we need people to get more interested in reading works about the other generations.  There are plenty of great stories out there, and they need attention.  Along with making it easier for the stories to get noticed, they need to be noticed, read, and feedback provided.

This is has been statement of my opinion with regards to non-FiM fanfiction content.  Please, begin discussing this.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Talk About Non-FiM Pony Fanfiction
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »
I'm actually working on a G1 fanfiction with someone. :) My problem is I have too many story ideas and can't decide which direction to go in.

I wish there was a website dedicated to pre G4 fanfiction where we could post our stories.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:25:43 PM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 04:56:44 PM »
There are various ways to advertise someone's work.
As an amateur animator, it could be interesting to use animations as a means of spreading the word.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 12:11:45 PM »
I want to mention another fanfiction site that's become very popular:  Archive Of Our Own.  (Just google it, it will come up.)  Also affectionately nicknamed AO3.

AO3's formatting is MUCH easier to read than Fanfiction.net IMO, and it is also a lot easier for authors to edit when they (inevitably) see that they misspelled something. ;)   It also has tags available like "My Little Pony: Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "My Little Pony (Cartoon 1984)", which will make it easier to find G1 content.  (Also has a Tales tag.)

I would love to see more G1, G2, and G3 fanfiction.  <3  I also have some ideas I want to write out, but right now I'm kind of buried in Transformers fanfiction.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:16:46 PM »
I rarely read fanfiction that is elsewhere than AO3. I like AO3's layout a lot more than for example fanfiction.net. Also it seems to be easier to find content that I like there.  :blush:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:20:09 PM »
I forgot to add, to get on AO3 you have to get "an invitation".  It's easy to get one, you just sign into the invitation queue, which can be found here:

http://archiveofourown.org/invite_requests

I believe it takes around 4 days average.

I think they do it that way to discourage "troll" accounts.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »
Thanks for letting me know about that site.  Looks like it could be a good one.

I've already been formulating a new idea.  It's a direct sequel to Mish Mash Melee where the four return to Paradise Estate to find it mysteriously abandoned.  Head off on a new adventure to find their friends while still dealing with what the frazzits did to them.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SnowsLove

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 06:19:39 PM »
I'm actually working on a G1 fanfiction with someone. :) My problem is I have too many story ideas and can't decide which direction to go in.

I wish there was a website dedicated to pre G4 fanfiction where we could post our stories.

Ponyfan

I'm pretty much in the same boat.  I want to write some MLP fan fictions but I haven't really been able to flesh out many ideas.  I don't really havve a friend or partner to write them with either.  I do have a few OC's but I haven't drawn many of them and while I have written a sort of "introduction" story to how I think the Ponies came into being, it might be uninteresting to someone else.  I always kinda imagined the Megan was actually a princess rom the world of My Little Pony from a kingdom the ponies never knew about.  In meeting the ponies she finds out who she is, finds out how some of her ancestors are responsible for the creation and existence of the Little Ponies...

I would need help trying to put it all together.  I get overwhelmed trying to think about it myself....

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 07:32:28 PM »
I understand completely about having trouble getting your ideas written out/not knowing what direction to go in.  I have several files on my computer that are full of ideas for the fanfiction.  I'll usually work with what comes to mind until I either get a different idea or I see that the one I'm working on doesn't make sense or isn't working like I thought it would.  I like having someone to work with because they can come up with story ideas that I wouldn't have thought up and reading what they've written can inspire me on where to take the story next.

I've typed up so many ideas that are possible parts of the story but I also need help putting it all together and I've noticed a lot of my ideas follow the same pattern of obstacle/problem that needs to be solved and solution.  I think it's interesting but not sure if others would find it interesting either.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
OMG I LOVE AO3!! But I'm just there reading South Park trash....the only thing my mind can focus on reading now a days ^-^"" I'm such trash... :blush:

ANYWAY! I've got two or three MLP stories in my head X.x which of course involves my favorite MLP characters Danny, Surprise and Spike. One of the story's wants to be a version of my friend and I's opposing MLP armies of Surprise and Majesty, we fight them a pony meets XD

But I haven't finished any of them...started my one story of my faves but part of it was not sure anyone would want to read it when it gets past the beginning  :redface: :blush: ....and that while trying to write it, a sequel to it popped into my head and I was done for...

I wish one day I could finish one of them...

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Let\'s Talk About Non-FiM Pony Fanfiction
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 07:00:06 PM »
They can carve out as deep a niche as they want. They don't own or control ff websites. Anyone can write it.

I do write fanfiction, but MLP regardless of generation is not something I delve deeply into as a reader for fear of stumbling across something puke-worthy and not at all as a writer. I have thought about it. But I have way too many stories to finish and I'm unsure I'd do MLP justice.

Unless I know and trust a writer isn't going to delve into certain "things"I'm very leery.

Post Merge: October 10, 2016, 07:04:03 PM

I want to mention another fanfiction site that's become very popular:  Archive Of Our Own.  (Just google it, it will come up.)  Also affectionately nicknamed AO3.

AO3's formatting is MUCH easier to read than Fanfiction.net IMO, and it is also a lot easier for authors to edit when they (inevitably) see that they misspelled something. ;)   It also has tags available like "My Little Pony: Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "My Little Pony (Cartoon 1984)", which will make it easier to find G1 content.  (Also has a Tales tag.)

I would love to see more G1, G2, and G3 fanfiction.  <3  I also have some ideas I want to write out, but right now I'm kind of buried in Transformers fanfiction.

I love Archive of our Own
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 07:05:34 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
AO3 is so much better.

Right now I'm working on a sequel to "Mish Mash Melee" where Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Gusty, and Shady return home from the dell to find Paradise Estate empty and have to go on big adventure while still dealing with the aftereffects of what the frazzits did to them.  I'm still working on the villain they face, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal