collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rerooting tool?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline klmccass

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Rerooting tool?
« on: September 07, 2016, 01:48:05 PM »
Hello!

Just wondering what rerooting tool everyone uses or what works best? I have the hardest time with this part of customizing. I was just using a regular needle and it has stopped me from doing any more customs. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Mainsail for my awesome siggy! :D

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Rerooting tool?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
I use an x-acto pin vise with a size 22 tapestry needle.  I cut about an inch off of the needle point end and then cut about half of the needle eye length off using Channel Lock cutting pliers (they slice through the needles like butter).  I usually place the needle in a large ziploc along with the pliers and cut them inside the plastic bag.  That way when the inevitable sharp needle bits go flying they are caught in the baggie.  Hope this helps! :)   

PIN VISE:  https://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Pin-Vise-Set-X7144/dp/B000BRBZSS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

NEEDLES:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004D5QSCC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CUTTING PLIERS:  https://smile.amazon.com/Channellock-338-8-Inch-Diagonal-Cutting/dp/B00004SBDD/ref=sr_1_20?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1473294324&sr=1-20&keywords=channel+lock

ETA - I also use a sculpting stylus thing that has a needle point to push into tight plug holes to loosen, before trying to push the hair in. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 05:35:24 PM by cookhuman »
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:43 PM »
I used the one you can get from DollyHair for a LONG time, (i think she's changed the actual tool since then) but.. once it broke, it broke for good and it was kinda expensive and didn't last as long as I would expect something that price would last. At the time I was brand new to Customs though, so I didn't really know how to find/make my own.

I scoured the craft stores for X-acto blade handles, trying to find one with a cross shaped opening (most of them seem to be flat), cross shape will grab the needle better. The ONLY one I found was this hot pink retractable thing. Years later it's still going strong, and it was only a couple of bucks. :) I actually kinda like that it retracts, cause I can keep the needle in it when not in use and it won't break off. :p

Cookhuman pretty much explained the needle part perfectly, except ill have to try the bag method next time, cause mine go flinging into the carpet never to be found again.. until someday i might step on them xD.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 07:03:05 PM »
I have the one from Dollyhair which works nicely but I prefer the needle and thread method. It's not as fast as the tool but I get thicker plugs that way which looks nicer. Also G4 plastic is really hard and kept breaking my needles on the rehairing tool so I only use it for monster high heads and G1's are soft enough. I still use the needle and thread on my G1's though so their hair isn't too thin.

Offline klmccass

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
So you basically just stuff hair through with a needle and then glue it inside the head?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Mainsail for my awesome siggy! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal