collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: No penalty for non paying bidder on eBay  (Read 4841 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
No penalty for non paying bidder on eBay
« on: September 05, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
I have crossed paths multiple times with another bidder on eBay due to us going after the same MLP items.  I know of three incidents alone where they were a non-paying bidder because I get a message that the item was relisted.  I once paid double what an item was worth because they placed an initial high bid and I really wanted it.  They have also had multiple retractions.  I once followed an auction where  MOC TAF Yum-Yum sold for $700.  This individual retracted her highest bid and the second highest bidder won the auction.  The problem in both of these situations is "This non-paying not only hurts sellers but also legitimite bidders. These criminals are running up bids and then not paying. If a real bidder does win, he or she may have paid an inflated price"  (not my words but I couldn't have summed it up any better  :blush:). 

Why are there no repercussions for people like this?    :enraged:

ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
Re: No penalty for non paying bidder on eBay
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »
Never a fun situation to deal with, I'm sorry you've run into this problem  :mad:

Were all of these auctions from the same or different sellers? If they're all auctions from the same seller I'd be inclined to suspect there is some shill bidding going on.

Unfortunately, eBay's penalties for NPBs are not stiff enough in my opinion. Seller's can set their auctions to automatically block buyers with a certain number of unpaid item strikes (for example, I have mine set to block buyers with 2 unpaid item strikes within the past month which is the "strictest" limit you can set it to). However, some sellers may not have this restriction put in place, either because they don't know about it or don't want to be that stringent. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell exactly how many unpaid item strikes a buyer has. What you CAN see is how many bid retractions they have within the last 12 months (under the "Feedback as a Buyer" tab, it is in small black print on the right side of the screen). I find these two issues tend to go hand in hand.  I don't think eBay really does much about NPBs, except maybe once it goes to an extreme? I don't really know.

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:32:08 PM »
All different sellers.  I am 99% sure I know who it is too.  I don't think they are active on the arena however
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
It's not shill bidding. I think I know who she's talking about. There are a few crazy buyers on ebay, but one in particular has been driving up auctions all over the place.  She bids crazy prices, and she's been doing it consistently and long enough to have had an affect on the entire pony market.  If you've ever wondered why baby sea ponies keep getting listed for $100+ loose, or any of the other crazy price jumps that seem to be common on ebay lately, there's your answer.  She'll often bid(and win) multiple auctions for the same pony too, which further messes up the market.   It's been going on for over a year.   Sometimes she retracts before the auction is over, sometimes she actually pays, and sometimes she wins and doesn't pay. I checked her history once and saw 41 retractions on her account. FORTY ONE!

I know two sellers who have personally had problems with her.  She'll sometimes pay immediately. Sometimes she pays reluctantly after dragging it out for weeks or months.  She pays sometimes which is probably why she sellers listen to her excuses for so long. One of my friends lost out on a lot of ebay fees because the buyer in question had payed before, so my friend expected to ger her paymen(eventually), but never got it. It was too late to file by the time she realized there was no payment coming.  There were a lot if excuses though!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 08:50:31 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:13:08 PM »
If you've ever wondered why baby sea ponies keep getting listed for $100+ loose, or any of the other crazy price jumps that seem to be common on ebay lately, there's your answer.  She'll often bid(and win) multiple auctions for the same pony too, which further messes up the market. 

Yup, I had brought this topic up before with regards to the ridiculous price the baby sparkle sea ponies are going for,  that the prices were inflated because of two people and their bidding wars.  I hate it whenever I want to bid on an item and her eBay identifier pops up as a bidder.  She was a NPB on a couple of things where I was the second highest bidder.
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:46:02 AM »
Sounds like sellers should block this person :(
Would you be willing to share a name? I don't want this person bidding on my auctions
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 05:51:39 AM »
Sounds like sellers should block this person :(
Would you be willing to share a name? I don't want this person bidding on my auctions

I was thinking the same thing.

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 06:11:34 AM »
I've seen the same thing. I've actually contacted an ebay seller after seeing not one, but a few of their auctions relisted when the winner of them the first time around didn't pay. The seller was frustrated, said the buyer gave them an excuse (one which I've heard before from this person, so she uses it a lot!) and I suggested the seller block them because of what I've seen across many ebay auctions. 

This person is pretty active on Facebook, but I don't think she has an Arena account.  A member here did have an issue with something they bought from her and had a long thread in the trader/support section.   Unfortunately she seems to have a lot of friends who support her on facebook, but I don't think many of them know just how often she backs out of her ebay biddings.  I don't feel comfortable sharing her name and ebay IDs here because I'm in the same Facebook groups and I don't want the drama that I'm sure that would bring. 

I'm pretty sure most sellers she's backed out on don't leave her a NPB report because of the health excuse she often uses.  It could be a legitimate health issue, but no excuse for overbidding and not paying THIS much, this often. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:55:58 AM by ashlyne »

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 12:39:38 PM »
Yeah, she's pretty big on the Facebook drama, and has quite the posse of friends to back her up.   She's also been using her medical issues as excuses with sellers to continue this behavior, and that's probably why she hasn't been reported to ebay and on here like she should have.   

I don't want to deal with the fallout and insanity that I'm sure I'd get if I publicly posted her name. I know she's been made aware of some things on the Arena, so somebody here is a friend and reporting back to her.  I actually only posted here because someone started the "it could be shill bidding" thing, and I just can not sit by and watch innocent sellers get victimized by this bidder twice - once when she jerks them around and doesn't pay, and a second time for being accused of shill bidding due to her insane bidding practices. 

However, I do know both her ebay accounts, and if contacted privately might be willing to share.  It's a big risk for anyone to get involved in this because she does have friends in the pony community, and she's not shy about drama.  I will say that I have NOT sold to her.  I am getting my information about this from two completely separate good and trustworthy friends who have sold to her, and from my own ebay research(checking relisted auction/crazy priced auction histories, her own bidding retraction history, etc). It's been going on long enough for the pattern to be crystal clear if you know what to look for.  I'm not going to make any claims about her health issues or anything else.  I'm also not going to drag my friends into this.  If they want to post about it, they're free to.  They know about this thread.  I'm not going to subject them to potential crazy facebook/ebay drama unwillingly.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:01:01 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. And I think that she bought a pony from me on ebay last month. The names changed a few times from the payment, ebay name, and then the shipping name though?
But the buyer hadn't payed in a few days and since I was leaving the country I actually had to message and ask if they could pay soon or I would have to cancel since I physically wouldn't be able to ship it.
They then paid very quickly, so not sure if its the same person.

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »
This is so mess up!  I don't even know what to say right now.  I lie, I always have something to say.  This behavior should not be condoned.  Prices are being inflated. I want to confess that I have bought from her multiple times and have never had a problem.  Would even go so far to say that I liked her and admire her pony collection.  But now that I know what I do, I no longer have respect for her.  At one time, I had referred to her as my nemesis to my husband (not knowing who she was at the time).  I was always being outbid by her .  I just thought this bidder had an infinite amount of money.  As for her friends seeing my post and getting back to her, what are they going to say.  That I'm an [removed].  I am going to let you all in on a little secret, as you get older, you start caring less about what others think of you. When I was a lot more active on eBay, I would pray that she would not show interest in the auctions I was bidding because I knew I would loose or overpay.  So if anybody has the right to be peed off right now, it's me and all the other good people in the pony community who have lost or overpaid on an auction she bid on but had no intentions of paying for. 

:stressed:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:40:08 PM by hathorcat »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
I was really surprised recently when I was updating my eBay price guide when I saw a baby sea pony with her float sell for $70. I'm guessing that was the result of her bidding. Luckily I was only recording baby sea ponies without their floats at the time because I am guessing she didn't pay.

Offline jrr74

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
Just a quick update.  I had a conversation with this individual and everything should be resolved.  I don't think details are important therefore will not be going into them.  I did point out how these occurrences affect other people and do believe in second chances.  I am glad that I raised the topic, but even happier that I can now bury it.

Post Merge: September 06, 2016, 04:34:16 PM

I was really surprised recently when I was updating my eBay price guide when I saw a baby sea pony with her float sell for $70. I'm guessing that was the result of her bidding. Luckily I was only recording baby sea ponies without their floats at the time because I am guessing she didn't pay.

You must have missed the ones that went for over $100 recently  :lol:  In all honesty, it is pretty sad but I use humor to deal with stress many times

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:34:16 PM by jrr74 »
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

Post Merge: September 06, 2016, 04:34:16 PM

You must have missed the ones that went for over $100 recently  :lol:  In all honesty, it is pretty sad but I use humor to deal with stress many times

I only searched out one specific pony. But others have been talking on the MLPTP about the high prices for sea ponies. I didn't realize how high! I figured they were just talking about the second year adult sea ponies with their shells.

Offline goddessofpeep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 06:35:57 PM »
I think the worst loose baby sea pony auction I saw her involved in was $200, or maybe even up to $300.  I can't remember.  Once it goes over $100, you're in crazy country anyway.  It got so bad, I just stopped looking at them. I could just look at the price and know who was bidding. It wasn't just sea ponies.  She's been involved in mail orders, uncommon USA releases, and international ponies too. Now I check bid histories now to see if she's bidding.  If she is, I'm not.  I don't have that kind of money to fight someone who's bidding with Monopoly money.  It's a shame too since I am a legitimate bidder.  Almost 20 years on ebay - not one single NPB.  I win, I pay.  Always.  Occasionally I've had buyer's remorse, but I still pay.  That's my fault for bidding when I shouldn't have, and the seller shouldn't suffer for it.

I sincerely hope she stops.  A friend of mine just did a search on ebay for auctions that fit her usual MO, and she came up with about 20 auctions where she was probably a NPB since June(ie the auction went high, she was a bidder on it, and it was relisted later).  There were probably more since you can't search by bidder, and some of the smaller ones likely slipped through the cracks.  That's just since JUNE.

I think the lesson here is if you're a seller with a NPB, report them no matter what their excuse is.  You don't get kicked off ebay for one NPB report.  If it's a unique situation, one or two reports won't ruin their life.  And the NPB reports eventually drop off anyway, so when they get out of whatever's the problem, they can come back to bid.  If it's not a unique situation, this stuff will keep happening as long as nobody reports it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal