collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any UK restorers/customisers with dye experience?  (Read 581 times)

brokenblossom

• Trade Count: (0)
Any UK restorers/customisers with dye experience?
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:56:25 AM »
Hiya folks!

Just wondering about what it says in the subject line really. I'm in the UK, and while I've found plenty of helpful and thorough tutorials online re: MLP cleaning, repair and customisation, most of 'em having been written with reference to US cleaning products, arts and crafts supplies &c. leaves those of us beyond the USA with a lot of 'translation' and substitution to do!

My main query for today really is whether there any folks here with experiences to share of dying ponies' bodies with dyes widely available in the UK? By which I guess I really mean Dylon, as I don't think I've ever seen any other dyes on shop shelves! I've used it for plenty of fabric dying, both in the washing machine and on the stove top, but never for dying anything else.

I don't want to assume that it will have exactly the same results on MLP vinyl as the Rit dye which is the only brand of which I've seen the effects on ponies discussed online - I have no idea if it uses similar ingredients, or whatever. Certainly it seems that Rit dye comes in a different form - I've seen 'crystals' and 'liquid' referred to online, whereas Dylon is a powder.

Sooooo... Any Brits here who've experimented with ponies and the dye bath? Any wisdom or warnings to pass on?! For the record, I'm aware that there are mixed opinions on using dyes at *all*, but hey... I'm curious! ;-)

While I'm at it - can anyone point me in the direction of any websites or previous threads discussing MLP restoration and redecoration with UK products?

Many thanks in advance! I've been greatly enjoying reading some of material here, and seeing some of your fabulous work! There's a whole heap of talent out here in the pony community!

Offline Storm.Runner

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Berkshire Exmoors
Re: Any UK restorers/customisers with dye experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
Not a helpful comment I'm afraid as I'm also very interested in dying ponies with any products that are available in the UK. Even products easily accessed for removing symbols and such.

I've found an old custom attempt - my first one, that unfortunately got knocked off my shelf at university by an inconsiderate flatmate drunkenly invading my room and ruined the paintwork - a demoralised me packed her away with wishes to return to her later!
Also what is best to remove acrylic paint? :)

I'm sorry for hijacking your post BrokenBlossom!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
I use Rit dye and you can get it in the UK :) I've bought it online from eBay and Barnyarns.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

brokenblossom

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:13:38 AM »
Awww, Storm.Runner, not a hijack at all! It's encouraging to know there are more of us out there looking for info (the more of us there are, the bigger the knowledge pool! Or... y'know, ignorance pool, but HEY, let's try to think positive, heheh!!  :P)

What a shame about your thwarted attempt at customisation! Darn those inconsiderate drunken flatmates ~shakes fist~ had a few of those in my time, myself! Which (era) pony were you working with, and what were you hoping to customise to? Any pictures to share, or was the whole experience too demoralising to want to remember?

I have zero experience (so far!) of removing acrylic paint from pony vinyl, but when it comes to removing it where it's dried onto smooth, hard plastic paint palettes and the like, I'll typically put it into hot water to soak, and after a while it sort of peels off. Not sure if it'd behave this way on vinyl though, which (to an uneducated eye) seems more porous somewhow...

Post Merge: September 07, 2016, 08:26:15 AM

Thanks, pinkkittywinks - yeah, I *had* seen Rit dye available on Amazon, too I think, but never in an actual shop - I was sort of hoping to be able to keep online ordering as a last resort.

In an ideal world, if it turns out Dylon DOES work, it'd be brill to be able to just nip into town to Wilko (or wherever) for a sachet, and get a project bubbling on the hob and underway that evening. I'm not very disciplined with craft projects (understatement of the year - I have about 80 bajillion of 'em on the go at any given point...), and lose momentum pretty quickly, so it really helps not to have to rely on mail order, if you see what I mean?

On the other hand, I'm also scared to take risks with Unknown Quantities... Hmmm.

p.s. just had a peek at your Etsy shop - wow, you're supertalented! And a Stopfordian, too, excellent! (I have good pals there, and love the Hat Museum, heheh  :woohoo: )
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:26:15 AM by brokenblossom »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »
:) I know that Musuem ;)

The only place I've seen Rit dye in a shop was in Barnyarns in Ripon (Yorkshire) and I happened upon it whilst on holiday! I've ordered mine off eBay in the past :)

I used to use the Dylon tins of powdered dye (remember those?) for dying pony hair and ponies, but they were discontinued a number of years back. I don't think people had much success with the newer Dylon dyes, but I can't quite remember why, it was some time ago! I can only suggest you try and see what happens :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Poseyponey

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:50:42 AM »
Hey there,
I'm from Germany with the same problem, but I use H2O2. The base is 30% but that is much too strong to bleach a whole body, so I mix it with water to a 10% solution. There I left the pony for more than two weeks (outside in the sun).
You can easily and cheap buy this in a pharmacy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal