collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Honestly how bad are spiders  (Read 3162 times)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Honestly how bad are spiders
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 03:01:48 PM »
the only ones I don't want around me are the poisonous ones, in this area, that's Black Widows and Brown Recluses(which do NOT look much like a widow to me, if you've never seen one, it's a good idea to look them up!); all others get a free ride to the outdoors if they are being a pest and getting in the way.  We have wolf spiders and jumping spiders all over, and I usually just ignore them; they don't leave a huge mess, with leaving webs all over like daddy long legs(cellar spiders) do, and they are usually quick enough to avoid getting eaten by the cats. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »
I think she's doing better already. We found a documentary to watch and went to petco to see the tarantula. We've never had a jumper come inside. She watched me put one outside with my hands. I didn't tell her that I just got bit. She also knows the dog likes to hunt them. He doesn't seem to be eating them anymore. I found a few just lying there :( It's good knowing he won't get sick.

Centipedes are creepy and they need to stay out. I don't kill them.

Earwigs get squished. There are so many and they give me nightmares. I flick them when they're somewhere outside they shouldn't be and no no no in the house.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2016, 07:45:58 PM »
Oh, they're bad when you find an orb weaver in your house; in your dogs water dish... How did that big thing get in?!?

I kill anything that's not a daddy long legs.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2016, 04:12:53 AM »
I am insanely terrified of spiders. :( But not all of them. Most spiders are no problem for me (I even like them), the little ones or the bigger, super thin ones. I'm also okay with huge, hairy pet spiders. And I really love cross spiders, the typical halloween spiders. I love it when they are everywhere in the autumn, and their webs are beautiful.
No, It's the big house spiders that really scare me to death.

I don't know if they have a name, here they are just known as house spiders ( and no, I'm not going to look it up, because pictures WILL show up). They are big, usually brownish and they stand way too high on their legs. If one of those shows up, I will live in my bedroom for the rest of the week, even if somebody removed it.

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Carebearnmbr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2016, 04:47:20 AM »
Spiders aren't so bad.  I actually think some are kinda cute, like jumping spiders who have big eyes and often sport brightly colored chelicerae.  (I sound like such a nerd!  ^^; ) I actually really like spiders.
 Think of all the mosquitos and other pest bugs they eat!  Most are totally harmless to us.  I love it when they take up residence in our yard, but it's also ok with me if they like to be inside better!  :lol:  In Texas the most dangerous spiders are the Brown Recluse and the Black Widow. If I see them, sorry, but they're as good as dead. Not worth the risk! Others are welcome to stay.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 04:54:09 AM by Carebearnmbr46 »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
Additional note:  big house spiders might look scary, but not only are they harmless to humans, but they EAT hobo spiders.  So by not killing them, you are actually reducing the chances of being bitten by a hobo spider. :)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2016, 07:09:20 PM »
The spiders in my area are harmless. They're not my favorite, though. Building understanding which ones are just creepy-crawly and how to recognize markings on a poisonous or biting one might help.

I knock down webs I find in my main living areas and try to keep the corners dusted/vacuumed so they don't move in in the first place so it doesn't look unkempt. They can hang out in the furnace room or garden if they want no problem. I'm not afraid but I do always have that startled moment of: eeeek! Omg! when I find one.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 08:38:12 PM »
Additional note:  big house spiders might look scary, but not only are they harmless to humans, but they EAT hobo spiders.  So by not killing them, you are actually reducing the chances of being bitten by a hobo spider. :)

We don't have hobo spiders here
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:24 AM »
I was at the park yesterday and a spider crawled onto the bottom of my shoe. Looking down and having it suddenly be on me freaked me out. And unfortunately for the spider, he was in a very convenient place for a quick reaction.

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
Good news. My daughter is doing better already. The tarantula was a good idea. We also saw an egg sack hatch. She even squashed one in her room. :/ as long as she's not scared. She's not trying to hurt any outside.

In the process of identifying the ten or so different kinds we could find at home, none are poisonous and the ones that will bite only do if you walk into their space. A defense mechanism against predators.

I, in all my accident prone glory, got bitten twice! Both on my neck because I walked into their webs. One happened while trying to reach a spider so my girl could see it. I would still rather be bitten than give up my sweets ;)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »
I really dont like spiders either though I dont believe any around here are posionious. I used to live in the desert of california with the blackwidows ect. Once I saw this really HUGE black spider crawl up my computer desk and run off. I was freaked for awhile. My habit is though if I dont see it usually its not dead yet. I like all the prettier insects like the Rosey Maple Moth, ladybugs, butterflies ect. Man that moth is fluttershy and Posey combined in colors. Most bugs though look weird to me like they dont belong on earth but another galaxy. I almost got harassed by another darn wasp today ugh but I was wearing a heavy jacket.

Offline Carebearnmbr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 03:51:06 PM »
Good news. My daughter is doing better already. The tarantula was a good idea. We also saw an egg sack hatch. She even squashed one in her room. :/ as long as she's not scared. She's not trying to hurt any outside.

In the process of identifying the ten or so different kinds we could find at home, none are poisonous and the ones that will bite only do if you walk into their space. A defense mechanism against predators.

I, in all my accident prone glory, got bitten twice! Both on my neck because I walked into their webs. One happened while trying to reach a spider so my girl could see it. I would still rather be bitten than give up my sweets ;)

:heart: I would still rather be bitten than give up my sweets ;)  :heart:

I feel the same way!   ^.^  They can bite me but I'm still going to admire them!  Lol. Spiders really are wonderful, aren't they?   ^.^  They don't want to hurt us, they just want to live unharmed. Thank goodness only two in Texas cause serious damage from bites!  Because I love to hold and observe the little guys - especially the jumping spiders!   :inlove:  They're so fluffy and they have such big eyes, I just can't resist the adorable little rascals!   ^^; :lol: 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:55:55 PM by Carebearnmbr46 »

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »

:heart: I would still rather be bitten than give up my sweets ;)  :heart:

I feel the same way!   ^.^  They can bite me but I'm still going to admire them!  Lol. Spiders really are wonderful, aren't they?   ^.^  They don't want to hurt us, they just want to live unharmed. Thank goodness only two in Texas cause serious damage from bites!  Because I love to hold and observe the little guys - especially the jumping spiders!   :inlove:  They're so fluffy and they have such big eyes, I just can't resist the adorable little rascals!   ^^; :lol:
Jumping spiders are the cutest!  The tiny beady-eyed fluff spiders, they just seem very relatable somehow!

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »
The jumping spiders are so amazing, too, when you think about the size of the jump compared to body size and mass. Truly a beautiful creature. I don't know of any jumpers in America that bite.

Here's a thought. A spider theme pony with hair like cobwebs thin white fluff. Or a black flocked body? So many possibilities. I wish I had the skill for customs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal