collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: looking for people with experience in reselling clothes  (Read 1125 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
looking for people with experience in reselling clothes
« on: August 28, 2016, 04:51:04 PM »
Im not exactly sure where this should go, Im sorry.

But my mom is SET on trying to sell her old leather jacket, I have NO experience selling clothes, and she has no experience selling anything. She also expects to get like NEW money for it, despite how many times iv told her that is a hugely unrealistic expectation..

REGARDLESS, I told her I would ask some people here. Ill get pictures up if anyone has experience with this.

Its a size XXL Womens leather jacket, it also comes with a fleece(?) winter liner. It was only worn a couple of times, she paid $500 for it new back in 2005(ish)

Anyone have any ideas?
She wants to sell it for $300 "minimum" but I told her she would probably be lucky to get $100 xD Just knowing how reselling things seems to go, not to mention she smokes in her room constantly and this has lived in her closet practically since she bought it.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: looking for people with experience in reselling clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
My mom resells clothes pretty often. She always says be prepared to take a large loss. She's been selling dresses that were $100 - 280 and they go for about $10 - 70. Some of those still have tags, and are from a smoke free home. She only sells to a local market though through Facebook yard sale groups. So maybe your mom would have better luck trying other platforms as well?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 07:26:56 PM »
My mom resells clothes pretty often. She always says be prepared to take a large loss. She's been selling dresses that were $100 - 280 and they go for about $10 - 70. Some of those still have tags, and are from a smoke free home. She only sells to a local market though through Facebook yard sale groups. So maybe your mom would have better luck trying other platforms as well?

My mom expects me to do it for her and offered to "split" the cost xD like it would be worth it. What you said pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I sell lots of things that aren't clothes and even then there's usually a pretty depressing loss. lol
Shes not interested in selling it if she cant get $200 at least so shell just have to live with it.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »
Ask her to join a local facebook swap group. be honest about the smoke. It'll never sell near original retail but it is hers to ask what she wants. She'll either keep it and maybe start enjoying the jacket, or figure out on her own her pricing is unrealistic.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:07 PM »
Ask her to join a local facebook swap group. be honest about the smoke. It'll never sell near original retail but it is hers to ask what she wants. She'll either keep it and maybe start enjoying the jacket, or figure out on her own her pricing is unrealistic.

She won't join social media, and honestly that's probably for the best, xD I guess I could always list it in a group and put her asking price on just for the heck of it.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:08:47 AM »
My Mom makes good money on clothes... but has a knack for finding new clothes with tags for like $1 xD. She has finding skills though... got her next to brand new couch for free.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »
I have no clue but I wish you luck. Sounds like you have been put in a bit of an awkward spot.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

GypsyTails

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 12:36:54 PM »
Sad as it is, the moment you walk out the door with an item it depreciates. You can literally spend 500$, walk out the door of the store and by the time you get to your car it's worth like $350 or less if you try to sell it.  So when talking about a 10+ year old jacket...  *sigh*. At the same time It's a plus sized item and it's leather, so those things often hold value better. Personally, I would list it for $50 on ebay. I used to sell a lot of clothes!

I was in this predicament with my my ex boyfriend's mother at one point. She made jewellery and spent fortunes on beads and gems and silver etc. She had some really nice pieces but they were a bit out of date because she hadn't been able to sell them for many years, and grossly overpriced for her target clients. She was convinced that college aged girls wanted to spent 70$ - 500$ on "a nice piece of jewellery", and I was like "I'm a college aged girl and I can't afford ramen!" lol She told me "college women with any sense save up for jewellery because it's an investment" @.@ So yesssss, I know what the go around is like lol I eventually listed some of her necklaces on Ebay with reserves close to what she hoped to get, and had to show her how high real people were willing to go. (of course then she told me that "real people don't shop on ebay")  sooooooo  :drunk: She probs still has all of that jewellery.

So maybe try that? List it on E-bay with a reserve?

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 08:19:30 PM »
I've sold vintage clothes on Etsy in the last. Leather jackets are my #1 toughest to sell, even on Craigslist or to pawn or resale shops. At 11 years old, it's old enough to be out of style but not old enough to be desireable "vintage." I had a NWT designer jacket I ended up donating to charity bc it didn't fit right and nobody would buy it. Hopefully your mom will have better luck though!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal