collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tell me about Sailor Moon  (Read 6235 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Tell me about Sailor Moon
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:33:30 AM »
Hi. I saw several Sailor Moon DVDs at Walmart. I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy a DVD set of Sailor Moon?  I think I watched part of the episode back in the 90s and it was kind of weird? Maybe I just saw a bad episode though.  Which series is the original Sailor Moon? I saw a DVD of Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R and Sailor Moon Crystal.  I think Crystal is a reboot of the original Sailor Moon?  I know Sailor Moon seems pretty popular.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Tell me about Sailor Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:29:22 AM »
Why not watch a few episodes on crunchyroll and see if you like it? http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-moon-crystal

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »
Crystal is the reboot, yes.  It follows the manga closely and there is no filler.

I personally loved it but there are others that do not--its personal preference.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
Yes, Crystal is the reboot - kissanime has all episodes of all series (originals and dubs), if I remember correctly, so you can always stream a few random episodes free first if you aren't sure whether you'd want to buy a set.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 08:33:50 AM »
The Sailor Moon DVDs that are at Walmart now are using a newer voice cast and translation, so if you watched it on TV back in the nineties, there will be some differences, most notably the names.  For example Sailor Moon in the 90s had the name Serena and in this dub it is Usagi.  Her friend (formerly known as Molly) no longer has a Brooklyn accent (I think that's what it was supposed to be).  They're supposed to be releasing ALL the episodes eventually, uncut, (even the Sailor Stars season that was never released in America before) so there will be some things that you don't expect, like the episode with the baby that shows that the baby is a boy.   

Haven't watched any of Crystal yet, so I'm not any help there.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:11:34 AM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »
The Sailor Moon DVDs that are at Walmart now are using a newer voice cast and translation, so if you watched it on TV back in the nineties, there will be some differences, most notably the names.  For example Sailor Moon in the 90s had the name Serena and in this dub it is Usagi, for example.  Her friend (formerly known as Molly) no longer has a Brooklyn accent (I think that's what it was supposed to be).  They're supposed to be releasing ALL the episodes eventually, uncut, (even the Sailor Stars season that was never released in America before) so there will be some things that you don't expect, like the episode with the baby that shows that the baby is a boy.   

Haven't watched any of Crystal yet, so I'm not any help there.

That's interesting! So the new releases are more true to the original series, then? I had no idea!

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
I don't mind the new voice cast or the name revisions back to the original names. What kills me about these new versions is the vastly inferior soundtrack. I bought the first set of episodes and was ready to dive in, but once I got started something was bugging me and it took me several episodes to figure out what that was. Now to be fair I was / am a huge fan of the dub that was made in the 90s so to me this was very noticeable and unappealing. But depending on your background it could effect you or it might not phase you at all.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
Thanks everyone. I didn't know about the Cruncyhyroll website  or realize the DVDs at Walmart are a new voice cast and translation. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:41:39 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
It's been a long time since I watched SM, and I watched it in Japanese, so I never saw the American version. (Still amused that her name means rabbit, rabbits in the moon...and all that...)

I have heard some good things about the new, though, from someone I know who is very into Sailor Moon. I echo the advice to look it up on crunchyroll etc and see...its a really good way to decide what DVDs you want to buy ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 01:59:32 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. Since a couple of people have mentioned Crunchyroll. is it a safe site to watch videos on like YouTube only it's anime stuff? When I was looking for Sailor Moon I saw a movie I wanted to watch.

Ponyfan

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »
Thanks Taffeta. Since a couple of people have mentioned Crunchyroll. is it a safe site to watch videos on like YouTube only it's anime stuff? When I was looking for Sailor Moon I saw a movie I wanted to watch.

Ponyfan

It's a safe site... As an alternative you can also stream from viz.com  (which is the company that puts out the DVDs). I remember getting up at 6am to watch Sailor Moon... I feel like we are all spoiled today with streaming. I always hated the monster a day format, but I really enjoyed watching the characters grow.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Bommels

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:07:25 AM »
I personally liked the 90s anime, the manga, and Sailor Moon Crystal :D All of them tell the story a little bit differently, but I enjoyed every version.

The 90s anime has tons of filler episodes and even a whole filler arc in season 2, so be warned. The quality of the animation also varies wildly. It's still a good classic :)

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 05:30:47 PM »
Althought it's not animated, if you ever get the chance to watch the live action Sailor Moon series, I really recommend it.
It is cheezy at times, but it's fun to watch and I give them props for how they handled some of the characters, and exclusive storylines.  :D
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »
I still haven't decided on which Sailor Moon DVDs to get. I'm leaning towards Sailor Moon Crystal but also looking a the season 1 Sailor Moon DVD.

Ponyfan

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
I love sailor moon, grew up watching it and absolutely being obsessed with it, but I found now I can't STAND the 90's dub, the voice actors.... especially Serena/Usagi's just has a voice that grates on my ears, and I think it was after the voice actor switch for her that really got noticeable about it. Crystal currently is only Subbed as far as i know-haven't checked the dvds-.   Will agree though , that the 90's dub had a better background selection instead of the anti-climatic bgm of the japanese where everything is literally made to be a lower stress level.

Also: Beware of CrunchyRoll right now it will simply give you ads after ads and will force you to disable any adblocker you may use and demand that you pay a fee to watch. I was trying to catch up on Crystal the other day and it gave me nothing but problems.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal