collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Blue Haired Ken Doll

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • Always eat your vegetables young grasshopper ♡
    • View Profile
    • My Blog ♡
Re: Let's Talk About Your Pony Collection!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
-Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?
I collect G1 mostly, I used to collect allot of G3 as well but I have so many I decided I'm taking a break for a while.
-What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
I guess I just collect the ones I want :) I never turn down a G1 found in the wild, but I'm not trying to have every single pony or anything. I've recently gotten super interested in G1 merch too <3
-Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
I don't, but a peachie army would be cool
-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies
I find it hard trying to make things not look cluttered, I really hate clutter, but I have allot of ponies and limited space. I'm about to buy some new shelves and put some of my childhood plushies and toys away, so that should make things look a little better :) Also that way I'll have room for my collection to grow <3 :)
-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections
All grails are possible! If you work really hard and save up you can get that dream pony <3 It may take a long time, and you may not be able to buy a bunch of other ponies while you're saving, but it will be sooooo worth it when that package arrives at your door step <3 :)
(ᵄ̴̶̷́ॢ ˙̮ ᵄ̴̶̷̀∗ॢ) ♡ Formerly known as Diamond Pony

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 06:29:57 PM »

Well for me it started with gen one, then they got packed away. I found them again, and fell back in love, then found some gen 3, and 4 at a flea market, and fell in love.

None really just the pones honestly.

Army wise I am looking for any and all breezes they are so cute and tiny.

The most easy is finding them at the flea market, hard part is finding ones I do not have right now. I have a huge list yet keep seeing the same ponies.

Start with the cheapest ones first, as well as on in not so great shape. Always check yard sales too you never know what you will find.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?
I focus on collecting the G1s I think are cute/pretty/interesting. And even though I don't focus on them, I have a sizeable G2 and G3 collection and a few cute G4s. You think you're only going to collect one generation and then they multiply . . . :shocked:

What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?
Although I focus on ponies proper (especially baby ponies!), over the 15ish years I've been collecting I've picked up cute stuff along the way -- playsets, pony wear, accessories, petites.

Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?
Nope, no armies!

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies?
Easy -- I love how ponies are popular enough that they're not impossible to find; some of my other toy collections are a little more obscure and it can be discouraging waiting to find what I "need" (vintage Littlest Pet Shops, for example).

Challenging -- saving up for the more expensive ponies, now that I have a lot of the less expensive ones. 

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?
Stay within your budget and buy what you like; I think it's more fun if you truly like every pony you own. Use popular ID sites to learn ponies' names and more. Also, look at numerous completed pony Ebay auctions to get an idea of the going prices for ponies so you'll be prepared when you buy them.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
G4 only.

Brushables only. In the past years I had collected much more but have pared down to just the brushables now, which were what began with initially.

No, I have a strict one per character rule (Luna/NMN I guess possibly being the exception as I have both and technically they are the same pony).

Collecting the current gen I guess makes it easy, that I can purchase from stores instead of searching 2nd hand. This hard part is the wait between reveals, like at toy fair, or taobao/ali/ebay finds and when the pony is actually in stores. The way things were earlier in G4 when there were international exclusives that were harder to get and prototypes that never made it to stores still makes me anxious.

It's easy to be excited and go crazy buying things when first starting out collecting. Try to be mindful of all your purchases and have a vision of the direction you want your collection to go to avoid buying a bunch that you don't really want or getting overwhelmed. It's easy to fall into a "gotta catch 'em all" mentality.

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2016, 10:23:37 PM »

I have my childhood collection of G1, a bit more G1 I've collected as an adult, a couple G3s, and a few G4.  I also have a few fakies I found charming.  My collection overall is quite spesific and small, consisting of fewer than 50 ponies overall and including that the majority of that count are G4 blind bags (because they are small and easy to display).

I really just prefer the ponies, both brushable size, and petite or blind bag if you prefer.  I do like to complete them with their accessories, although I'm not that picky about it.  I have a few G1 playsets from my childhood but they (along with my childhood heard) are currently stored and I don't know if I might part with them some day.  While I do find some other merchandise charming, I don't really care to collect and store that sort of thing.

Not really my taste, I prefer just the few ponies I really like the look of, one of each is just fine, and I'm not fussy that it be the best example, just so long as they look nice.

Getting the ponies I wanted was fairly easy, keeping to a limited number and not turning into a completionist is harder.

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections?

Personally I really prefer to focus on just the things I love, not worry on completion or buying every pony I see.  I think it can be really important to find what you love in collecting and embrace it.  It's really different things for different people, but the most important thing is that is fun and not a point of stress.

Also if you are going big, do consider documenting everything for insurance purposes if needed.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:56 PM »
Mostly G1s, with a handful of special G3s and a couple of G4s (I only own Twilight and Starlight of the G4s.)

In terms of merchandise, I like the G1 coloring books and puzzles.  I do collect playsets but only if I run across them in person.  I also wouldn't turn down those g1-esque tee-shirts that you see nowadays at Target and Hot Topic. 

No.  No room.

I don't have any problem remembering who I own; I keep very good track of my collection and what I have for sale.

I hate cleaning ponies, so I'm always behind on that.  :)

Do as much research as you can before you start buying.  Actively look around for good deals and don't get all wound up by the need to own all the ponies at once.  We've all been there and we've all overspent on something, so don't feel badly about asking questions.  We were all new collectors, once.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 11:56:10 PM »
I focus mainly on G3, but I also have a few G4s.

Brushables, molded hair ones(Ponyville, Blind Bag)

Nope, but I really want to complete my Sunny Daze pose conga c:

I like that even past genration ponies are not hard to find and the collecting community is so big that I don't have to wander around internet to find ponies. Hard is that I've yet to see a collector from my country and shipping to and from US, where majority of collectors live, is quite expensive and because of that I haven't got any MIBs yet :(

Always analyse and do researches before you buy. Don't hesitate to ask and be kind and polite :)
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 12:24:47 AM »
G1s, G2s, a few G3s (favorites) and non-double G4s (one of each character, not 20 variations of each)

Besides the ponies and accessories themselves, I collect merch that I find is cute.  Some things I sell, some I keep.  It really depends on the item I suppose. 

I have unintentional armies of some characters, consisting of nirvanas/variations of each.

It's amazing how they multiply when you're not paying attention!

I really dislike cleaning ponies, I tend to put it off.

Research, patience (a good deal will come up when you least expect it!), check thrift stores, ask plenty of questions and make sure you know what you are buying (condition) before you buy, especially if you're a picky collector.

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »
Fun read! Here'smine!

Mostly G2. I have a tiny wantlist for G1 and G4. As for G3 I have the ponies I've wanted (which are...around 30)

G2 everything, except that I'm not going for each and every MOC anymore. I just don't have the room. G1; specific sets and some nirvanas. G4 are brushables only (new characters mostly)

Not really. I have different releases of the same pony (only for G2). But I'm not aiming to collect the same pony over and over.

Challenging... accessories! Especially for the late G2 releases, but I'm getting there... slooowly.

Eeasy peasy; keeping track of the ponies I have because I don't own tons of G1, G3 and G4 :P

Begin with the more easy to find sets which appeal to you. Ask around for prices or check ebay's completed listings. Don't worry about overpaying a bit for something you really want (at least once in a while, don't go beserk xD), I may have done that two or more times!

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 07:32:28 AM »
G1 every thing G3 for customising and G4 some comics /merch
magazines
not an army but i do have a few apple jacks
finding g1s on eBay ,buying g1 off eBay for a good price !!!
start with the more common and easy to find at first :)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 08:34:56 AM »

Anything G1 although I mainly have G1 ponies. Though I do also have G3 and G4. I like pegasus ponies the best.

I am still on the look out for accessories now I dont have and playsets. I would like more G1 merch but im happy with what I do have.

I like to collect Baby Surprise and Surprise for my armies.

When I went to Ebay or via online here ect. I found it must easier to collect. I also am on here so I was involved in past swaps alot. So I was able to build up my collection very fast.
What I find challenging is when I buy ponies locally I dont have a car so it makes it quite harder to collect. :/
When I first started out I collected by set and I found it was must easier than just to go willy nilly all over the place. I think it set the stage for me. Now when I collect im all over the place. I find it harder sometimes to focus in on what I want to buy. Im more selective too.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »

I collect all generations. But g1 and g2 are my main focus. I buy g3s second hand if I see them, but not actively collecting them. For G4 I buy just the ones I like. Specifics? I like g1 hair accessories like combs/brushes, and barrettes.

other than the ponies themselves, a few blind bags, and g1 accessories.

Not intentionally. I do have several doubles of my childhood ponies just because.

What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies
Challenging? Not spending all my money on them.

What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections
Do your research!!!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 07:23:14 PM »
-Do you collect all products or just a specific variety/generation?:  G1 is my favorite, but I collect all the generations.

-What sort of lines of pony products do you collect?: I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  I like ponies, playsets, and accessories the best.  Merch is just kind of meh.

-Is there a specific pony or ponies you have an army/armies of?:  I don't really get the army thing, but I did end up with 3 Parasols.  My very first pony ever, a near mint condition one, and an Italian one I won in a contest.

-What do you find to be easy/challenging about collecting ponies:  Once you get to a certain point, everything you don't have is expensive.

-What tips would you offer people starting their pony collections:  Be patient, don't buy everything all at once!

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!:  I also collect Fashion Star Fillies and will pick up any colorful horse related thing if I like it.  The more colorful, the better.

:)

---
For me, I mainly collect G4 ponies exclusively (with G3 Fluttershy and G1 Posey being the few exceptions)

I used to only collect the regular-sized brushables and large playsets but right now I'm branching out into other G4 lines such as Blind Bags, Fashion Styles, BAB plushies, Funko Vynils, FIM Collection and Equestria Girls dolls. I also collect MLP homeware and use them in my apartment (thankfully my boyfriend is also a pony fan and collector, so I don't have to isolate my pony things to one area of the house)

I have an army of Fluttershy ponies, plushies and other merch. Fluttershy is my favourite pony so if something is out that has her on it, I have to have it. I haven't actually counted how many things of fluttershy I own, but i'm pretty sure it's a high number by now. My boyfriend has a small army of Rainbow Dash things since he absolutely adores her.

I find the availability of ponies since I am collecting a generation that is still on store shelves to be an advantage to me. A disadvantage would be the lack of different characters and when the are released, they are usually harder-to-find due to scarce stocking/scalping.

My advice to people starting out on collecting (mainly for people starting out on G4 collecting) is to aim for the earlier releases first and work your way forward. Since most of the older G4 releases usually don't have a re-issue, they are much harder-to-find whereas the newer ponies can be found in stores quite easily in most cases.

I also collect certain Amiibos (Animal Crossing and Yarn Yoshis for the most part) and video games (Nintendo mostly, but I also do Sony)
[/quote]

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 02:19:43 PM »
Ooo Im excited to read everyones posts! Making this before I read anyone else's!

We [husband and I] collect only G4 merchandise.

Bits of everything G4 from all the toy/figure lines to toothpast to stickers! We own almost all the hasbro brushable characters including prototypes, LE toys, and the bigger playsets. But we dont limit ourselves to Hasbro toys! We collect most Funko pony related products, blindbag and blindbox figures, fast food prize toys, stickers, stationary and school supplies, books and media, charms, jewelry, IDW comics, toothbrushes and toothpaste, clothing (especially pony socks!), christmas ornaments, lunchboxes and tins, mugs and cups, birthday supplies, multiple types of pony figurines, posters, trading cards, journals and diaries, lanyards and keychains, pillows and bed supplies, coloring books, playsets, a pony tent, puzzles and board games, equestria girls vinyls & dolls, valentines day cards, mlp sandwich bags, mlp candy,  and so many pony plushes from so many different companies! All G4 related!

Someday, someday, we hope to own the biggest G4 collection in the state of Texas! Its a dream in progress... :P We want to make a G4 ponyroom so epic and sensational! We even want to paint the tree of harmony one wall and the Crystal Empire on another!

We have quite an impressive unintentional army of Twilight Sparkle, and an even bigger Pinkie Pie one from my husband! He loves everything Pinkie Pie so that one was intentional. We also have armies of many other ponies but those two are the biggest that stand out.

What has been easy about collecting is not doing it alone- when my husband recently came over to me and helped me print off pictoral checklist sheets over 200 pages long he indulged himself in organizing and got really excited about the pony collection we have and realized just how many items we actually do own! My collection turned into "our" collection and it has been so fun having a partner who is as passionate at my hobby. He is determined that we will have an amazing ponyroom and he really wants to help me make it happen. Sure he used to buy me ponies now and then, but now that he is collecting them with me it makes it both helpful and collecting more meaningful now that he shares my passion. I find it very romantic when we go out pony hunting together!

What has been hard as a G4 collector is the poor distribution of Hasbro's products in the US. Ever since Rainbow Power it seems like wave 2 of everything is likely to not arrive here in the States except for sometimes my State (Texas) and California. There are times before a toyline is released I have to predict what will and wont make it here and grab those items online while I can for a cheap price before they are impossible to grab. I also hate when ponies turn into international exclusive items! Its stressful as a collector when things are advertised then not released.

What helped me out the most is to know what you want to collect before you buy. Start off small and don't overwhelm yourself! Use your resources like websites with toy release databases to make yourself a printed pictorial checklist of what you want for your collections. I decided I wanted to be an everything collector including variants and multiples, so it was very handy to view databases on items that are released! Also communities like the Arena are awesome because it helps all of us obtain information where stuff is being released, new toy spottings, and fun things like someone posting they found out cheats for blindbag codes to make collecting easier! Keeping in touch with other collectors is an important thing to do because then everyone sharing the same passion with you can help each other out!

For those who want a large G4 collection here are my words of wisdom- ALWAYS be a smart shopper. Don't jump to buy new ponies right away as soon as you see them! I see soooo many people on IG make this mistake and I shake my head every time I see someone post that they bought a new released item right away. Even if you make bookoo bucks and have more than enough money, be stingy on every pony item you intend on buying if you want a big collection. Online discounts a coupons. Monthly sales at Target and Toys R Us where ponies are 25% off or sometimes BOGO 50% off. Resale stores. Thrift Stores. Ebay. Compare prices online. Wait for the end of summer or end of winter when retail stores do toy planular resets and mark stuff dramatically down in price. Black Friday Sales. Pre-Black Friday Sales. Christmas Sales. Pre-Christmas Sales. Sales EVERYWHERE throughout the year! WAIT on store exclusives to be marked down: almost always do these go on sales, get clearanced, or make it into resale stores. Its always nice to save even if you consider yourself rich. I cant stress this enough as a collector!

If you want more money for ponies, be stingy when you grocery shop too! Im not telling you to starve yourself with a diet of only $.13 ramen noodles, but cut out literally ALL the junk food and buy the cheapest brands of what you need for the pay period! Also at home try finding ways to cut down your electricity and water bills, leave lights off as much as possible and be very stingy with water. More saved money for ponies yaaay!!! Even if you make lots of money its always important to save money, anyways. Being a stingy and sometimes patient shopper will not only help your collection grow bigger but those savings can definitely stack up towards a nice vacation- trust me on this! :ohyeah:

Don't be discouraged of other people's collections that are bigger than yours. I cant count how many times I have had people tell me on IG they hate their G4 collection because mine is bigger- a few people have even told me they stopped collecting altogether because they got so jealous of my collection. Everyone starts their collection off somewhere small- I remember when my collection was blindbags, fluttershys, and a MIB wedding ponies and later it exploded and grew because I was a smart shopper and used my online resources to find the ponies I wanted. Take pride in your collection and don't let it feel like a chore, a collection should always be very fun! Collect what you can handle space-wise and financialy and go as slow as you need to.

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!

Disney dolls, Disney Mugs, Disney LE dolls, japanese candy wrappers, Pokemon plush and anniversary merchandise, random anime figures, Sailor Moon accessories, crystals/fossils/rocks, and Tsum Tsums!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:47:37 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »

I collect G1 only.

Obviously the ponies, but I will take G1 anything. XD Merch, petites, comics...

I have an unintentional Baby Cuddles army, I believe I have four of them. I think I also have three or four Lemon Drops and Cherries Jubilees. But none of these doubles are there on purpose. XD

What's easy is that I know exactly what to look for and how to look. If I spot a tail sticking out of a box of toys at a fleamarket, I can already tell from a distance if it's a pony or not. I also have my own "technique" for scanning fleamarkets, which always works well.

What's challenging... This is going to sound really stupid, but I'm gonna say it anyway: Being afraid that people think I'm "one of those". Bronies, hipsters, anime people, whatever. I am just an almost 30-year-old woman who collects the toys she loved as a child. I was always proud of that because it was cool and unusual, but since collecting ponies has become a "thing" with the rise of G4, I am much more hesitant to show it.

Start with the ponies that make you happy! Also, always be there SUPER early at the fleamarket.  :nerdy:

Also, if you collect things other than MLP, feel free to talk about those too!

I also collect halloween/autumn/fairytale/forest-ish figurines and decoration, like mushrooms, birds, hedgehogs, leaves, pumpkins, witchy stuff. No elves or other LOTR-stuff! Why do people always assume that I do? >__<

And I love to collect T-shirts (band shirts, but also T-shirts with a cool print) and (gothic) jewellery. ^.^
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:22:29 PM by Regenveertje »

He knows that they're the fool...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal