collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Book Title Help?  (Read 517 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Book Title Help?
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
So... I'm done writing a novel, I'm in the midst of revisions and I'm almost ready to hire a cover designer to do the cover. There's just one teensy problem: the working title for the book is one that I don't think I want to keep.

The book is the first story in a series of novels called the Sealer Saga. The series is made up of several novels and novellas and these follow a naming scheme. This is one of the shorter (under 50k) stories, and titling for those follows the format "To (blank) A Dark (blank)".

The current title for this novella is "To Woo A Dark Lady", and it pairs with a second novella called "To Wed A Dark Lord". When I've mentioned this to several people, though, they've all said they don't care for the word "woo"--it's an old word and not everyone may realize what it is / means, plus with the word "to" next to it the sound is off.

Alternative titles might include:

To Claim A Dark Prize
To Play A Dark Game
To Court A Dark Lady
To Win A Dark Lady
To Tempt A Dark Lady
To Claim A Dark Destiny

... I am totally open to further suggestions, though.

Here is the back blurb so you will have more of an idea what the book is about. Oh! The genre is paranormal romance if that helps any. :)

Some Kisses Are To Die For...

Chosen as a Champion, Carita of Bel Auryn thought she would spend her days fighting demons. Instead, she is drawn into the latest scheme of the Moon Goddess, Ruby: a ridiculous contest to choose the man who will have the "honor" of fathering her child. When Ruby encourages Carita to choose a competitor, she picks the man she is most drawn to--and immediately regrets it.

That man is Lucian Veradayne, the Lord of Death. He knows he must win Ruby's game at any cost. It doesn't matter that he has avoided her for over two thousand years. It doesn't matter that she hated him enough to maim their first son. And it definitely doesn't matter that he would much rather woo her endearing but brash Champion, Carita. The Soul Well, the source of all creation, has given Lucian a vision that he and Ruby must have another child. A child who will save the world.

But winning Ruby's affection and resisting Carita will prove to be the least of Lucian's problems. He and Carita are not the only ones who have been drawn into Ruby's game. Someone else wants to get close to her, and they are willing to kill to make that happen. Will Carita and Lucian be able to protect Ruby long enough for a victor to be named? And if so, will they be able to walk away from each other to ensure the Soul Well's prophecy comes true?

So, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'd love to hear them. Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread. Have a nice day.

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline ladybastilla

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Re: Book Title Help?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
Two reasons:

1. It breaks the titling pattern--To Wed A Dark Lord, To Grant A Dark Gift, To Crave A Dark Kiss, To Pledge A Dark Vow, To Tame A Dark Prince, etc.

2. Christine Feehan, one of the biggest names in PNR, has a series called 'the dark series' with 30 books that have titles like Dark Prince, Dark Guardian, Dark Magic, Dark Fire, Dark Possession, Dark Celebration, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! :)

Swap Wishlist

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:48:00 PM »
I would say "To Play a Dark Game" seems to fit best, good as an introduction to the whole series.

Jules x

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
I like To Tempt a Dark Lady, but it's hard to give a suggestion of a title because it's something that often stems from the author's personal connection with the work.

I'd personally step back and see if your feelings guide you toward a particular choice or maybe you'll find that a completely new title better suits your novel.  :)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
If you don't like any that you've come up with so far, here are a few others that you could use if you wish.

To Charm a Dark Soul
To Serve a Dark Mistress
To Win a Dark Heart
To Save a Dark World
To Steal a Dark Heart
To Love a Dark Lady

Since your formula is "To (verb) a Dark (noun)" so you could try googling a verb list and a noun list and seeing if there are any combinations you like. 

GypsyTails

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
Before I read your list of options I already thought of "To Court a dark lady". That one seems to make sense.

What about "To Charm a Dark Lady"? Or "To Seduce a Dark lady?"

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
I like To Court A Dark Lady. But I like the word "court".

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ladybastilla

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »
At this point I'm leaning toward either 'To Court A Dark Lady' or 'To Play A Dark Game'. Both of those have pretty solid reasoning behind them and could compliment 'To Wed A Dark Lord', which is the other half of these characters' story. Thanks for all the feedback.

Swap Wishlist

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 09:18:50 PM »
I also like "To Court A Dark Lady" and "To Play A Dark Game" (and I lean towards the former slightly more than the latter.)  "To Court A Dark Lady" seems to still fit with "To Wed a Dark Lord," while "To Play A Dark Game" explains the story better.

BTW, your novel sounds interesting.  I hope to read them someday.  :)   
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal